Monday, December 22, 2008

My Birthday Girl!

This was taken on my daughter, Kelly's, first birthday on December 22, 1974. I was 26 years old and still learning how to take care of a very busy little girl.



Kelly was a very smart little girl even at one years old. She picked up everything very quickly. She was always on the go and very curious about everything. She ate very well and grew from an infant into a beautiful little girl that first year. Boy, did that go by fast!



We rocked and rocked her and rode her around the streets of Dallas sometimes just to get her to sleep. I'm not sure if she was high strung or we were just the typical new/inexperienced parents who didn't know what to do if their child didn't sleep.



But, now, looking back, I remember how she felt lying up on my chest next to me while I was doing those hours of rocking and it was magical! Oh, my, how I loved every minute of it! There is absolutely nothing like holding your baby in your arms and hearing them breathe. Nothing!!



Kelly was our first child. She got all our attention, doting, and trial-by-error parenting skills.

But she was greatly wanted and loved!!



She still is!!



Happy Birthday Kelly!



We can't wait for you and Scott to try out your parenting skills in a couple more weeks!

13 comments:

Kelly said...

Thank you momma - I love you!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

I'm sure it seems like you've only blinked once since that picture was taken. What a sweet photo of the two of you!

Happy Birthday, Kelly!

Becky said...

You hit the nail on the head! There is nothing like holding a sweet baby in your arms and watching and feeling them breath!!! (Especially, if it's a grand) LOL!!!

Happy Birthday Kelly!

Jacquie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KELLY.

What a joy, knowing that your daughter will now experience one of your greatest joys in life first hand!!

Kara said...

It is pretty evident in Kelly that she was raised by WONDERFUL parents! In all of your "trial-by-error" something went right! You raised a beautiful daughter that helps and touches so many peoples' lives. I know you must be so proud of her, and soon you will get to meet sweet Harper and pour out all that love again on a new little life...God is good!

The Garners said...

Happy Birthday to Kelly!!!

Amanda Ledford said...

That is such a sweet post! I love that picture of her. What a beautiful baby! I wonder if Harper will have a head full of dark hair?

Happy Birthday Kelly!

Jennifer said...

Well Judy I just cried reading your post!! That was so sweet! I think how fast these 2 months have gone by with Brody and I can hardly imagine how fast the years go by. I'm so thankful for those sweet times he and I have in the middle of the night in our rocker. Thank you for reminding me how precious those moments are and how soon they will be gone!

Jenna said...

SO SWEET! You raised such a great girl!! Love her dearly and love her sweet mama, too.

Have a great birthday Kelly!!

Meredith said...

What a very sweet post, Judy! Kelly looks so much like you! That picture is so cute!

In His Army said...

You're right, there is nothing else like holding your baby--I am so thankful that soon Kelly and Scott will be holding little sweet Harper!

MiMi said...

Judy, where did the time go since we had our baby girls? What a precious picture of the two of you and what a touching post. God truly blessed us with our girls, didn't he?

Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog. I have so enjoyed getting to know you through this blogging world and I always look forward to your posts.

Can't wait to read a very special one about another very special girl in just a few days! Praying for you and your family and hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

The B's said...

I came to your blog through Kelly's and was just scrolling back looking through old posts. This one touched me...there are some similarities between us... My little girl is now two. I was 26 when she turned one and she sounds so much like Kelly...busy, busy, busy, she was so hard to get to sleep at night. She does have a strong will...I wonder if Kelly did?? Reading this post has given me hope about my sweet Emma...she is just so so busy and strong willed that I worry sometimes. If she turns out half as good as Kelly we will be so blessed!

My husband is a youth pastor and is in his last year of seminary (praise the Lord). I commented on Kelly's blog once that my maiden name is Martin also. We have roots in Texas and Arkansas...I wonder if we are related somewhere down the road???

Anyways, we have been praying for sweet Harper, I have commented on both your husbands blog and Kelly's about my Emma praying for Harper each night and kissing the computer screen all over.

I feel like we know you all like old friends...we love and are praying for you!
- Lacey