Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blogger Party




Kelly, Harper and I had a little luncheon yesterday for some of our blogger friends from Texas who were vacationing in the state.
These sweet girls are Chris,sister to Robin, Robin and her daughter, SWEET Caroline! Caroline and her mom Robin came to Tulsa the first night we were there in the NICU with Harper! They prayed with us, loved on us, visited with us and did a prayer walk around the NICU!! We will never forget their genuine love of Jesus that they showed in our time of great stress! They were God-sent!!


By the way, they are as delightful and sweet as they look!!


Harper was passed around by everyone and she took a shine to our Caroline!
Robin brought her sister, Chris, and I had my sister, Linda, join us for lunch too! Harper loves her Aunt Linda!

I had little gift bags made for them with aprons with their names embroidered on them! Caroline is an art teacher and she wears aprons when she paints! Her mom, Robin, just retired from being a math teacher.

We had a great time and we could have talked on for hours! It is a funny bloggy world!

I wanted to include the recipe for the muffins I made. They were delicious if I say so myself!


BUTTERMILK SPICE MUFFINS

Makes 12 regular or 6 large muffins.

Muffin Batter:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. buttermilk


Nut topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup walnuts/pecans,finely chopped
1/2 teasp. cinnamon
1/2 teasp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and the butter together with an electric mixer. When they are thoroughly mixed, add eggs and beat one more minute.

Sift flour into a separate bowl, together with the baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Add the flour and the buttermilk to the first mixture, mix at low speed until smooth. To avoid lumps in the batter, add the wet and dry ingredients alternately, in small amounts.

Make the nut topping: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.

Grease muffin tins with butter/margarine/or spray with oil. You can use paper baking cups. Fill each cup 3/4 full of batter. Add a full, rounded tablespoon of nut topping on top of each muffin cup of batter. BAKE IMMEDIATELY or the topping will sink to the bottom of the muffin.

Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.

Recipe yields 12 standard-size muffins, or six large-size muffins. If using the jumbo muffin pan, REDUCE the oven temperature by 25 degrees and INCREASE the baking time 5-10 minutes.

19 comments:

Gram said...

Looks like you had a great time! Any time spent with children and grandchildren is a blessing.

Erin said...

Looks like soooo much fun. I love the pics, your sister looks like she has a sweet gentle spirit like you.

Erin said...

Looks like soooo much fun. I love the pics, your sister looks like she has a sweet gentle spirit like you.

Erin said...

Looks like soooo much fun. I love the pics, your sister looks like she has a sweet gentle spirit like you.

Jacquie said...

I LOVE Harper's dress!!

Looks like such a fun afternoon. I can't wait to try the muffin recipe.

April said...

Hi Judy!
I read all about the fun you girls had on Kelly's blog this morning! I bet you had a ball! Such great pictures...Harper takes the cake!

Jenna said...

SOOOOOOO fun! I just love seeing these pictures - and girl, you are the hostess with the mostess for sure! I can only imagine the joy and laughter echoing through your beautiful house! Ya'll are all just too precious. I love every last one of you!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Adorable aprons! I would love to have one of those...and I am not an art teacher! Muffins sound yummy too!
Carrie

The B's said...

Can we have your strawberry salad recipe AND your chicken salad recipe. I'm always wanting new chicken salad recipes!

Mrs. Joyce said...

These muffins look almost as delicious as Harper Cupcake! Can you give me the instructions for baking them as mini muffins? Maybe at a higher temp with less time? Thanks!
(I'm visiting with one of my daughters this week and we thought we might make them while I'm here.)

Lauren said...

I'm sooo jealous, and you didn't invite me :( But I forgive ya, haha!!! Love ya!

Betsy said...

That looks like such a fun day. I bet ya'll had the BEST time! Those aprons are so cute. And thank you for the muffin recipe!!

Lauren said...

What a nice time! Isn't it always fun getting together with the girls?

Thanks for including your recipe! I am always up to trying something new!

I posted my week's dinner menu and included some recipes as well. The post is titled: Eat 'Em Up, Eat 'Em Up, Rah, Rah, Rah!


I love exchanging recipes! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Judy!! Harper is so cute these days. I am getting the biggest kick out of Kelly's blogs about food. I unfortunately can't find okra over here. :( Anyway, I think you all should call Harper Southern Sugar all the time. So cute!! Love, Laura M.

Pigtails & Pearls said...

What a wonderful hostess you are! I have to ask...was the chicken salad homemade?

Donna said...

Miss Judy, you are the epitome of Southern hospitality! I know everyone had a great time. Can't wait to try the muffin recipe.Is it just me, or does Robin look like Florence Henderson? Pretty lady anyway.
Donna

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I'm behind on my blog reading, so I am late getting this recipe, but it sounds delicious!! I love the buttermilk-spice muffins at Mimi's. This may be just the same. I can't wait to try them. Love & blessings from NC!

jenn said...

I just love your posts! You are so sweet and lovely!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe. I don't bake much, but recently have wanted to begin. I love getting recipes that people have tried and turned out good!!

Carla from Maryland


Found you from Kelly's blog!