Friday, November 26, 2010

Quiet Thanksgiving

 We had a very quiet Thanksgiving his year......just me, Hubs and the dogs!


 I did make two buttermilk pies but took them to someone else.  I hope they were good.  You always have this little doubt that they are good when you take them to someone else and don't get to "taste test" them for yourself.


 I put foil over this one to get the crust from getting too brown to quickly and part of the nice browning on top came off with the foil.  Learned a lesson: Lightly spray with oil before putting the foil over the top!


When Harper came along we bought our own nice baby bed for the upstairs guest room where she sleeps when she stays with us.  I never did buy a bumper pad set mostly because the nice ones are extremely expensive and I didn't like the little "characters" on the cheaper sets.  But as I was out shopping the other day I found a beautiful set on sale and I decided with Hollis coming, we needed it!

It is a creamy beige and made out of the softest material ever...I think they call it minky or something like that.  It had the bumper pads, the skirt, matching sheet and a wonderful blanket!
Harper will get to use it Christmas and then we'll see about Hollis later!

We have season tickets to the Razorback basketball games as well as the football games so we went to our first game the night before Thanksgiving.  I love going to the basketball games because our parking place is near the arena and you just get in and get out so much easier than the football games!



This is not a very good picture, but the Duggars of the "19 and Counting " fame were sitting just behind us in a box.  I have never really watched their show but they are the nicest-looking family and their kids behave themselves very nicely!


Well, it seems I just put out my "Fall" decorations and now it is time to pack 'em up and move up out!

Yesterday it was so very cold and rainy and since we had no where to go (Thank you Lord) Hubs put up the Christmas tree and I started decorating the mantle and coffee table.  The tree is not done yet but I did get a couple of things done.  This is the earliest I have EVER decorated for Christmas!
We will have all our family here for Christmas!  I am so looking forward to that!


So far I have done all white, silver and green this year.  I think it's sort of a clean, simple look!




I need to get busy and get my tree done.  What do you think of it so far?

Here is the recipe for Buttermilk Pie if you are interested!  It is SO GOOD!




Buttermilk Pie

3 eggs
 1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/16 teaspoon salt

one unbaked pie shell

Beat eggs, sugar, buttermilk, butter, vanilla and salt in a mixing bowl until smooth.
Pour into pie shell. (Cover edge until last 10 mins or so)

Bake in 350 degree oven for 40-45 mins or until light brown.








18 comments:

beckylbranch said...

Your decorations look great! I love the white and silver and I'm so glad you had a good Thanksgiving :) Becky

Anonymous said...

What a sweet bedding set. I love the Minky ...so soft! Love your mantle!

Courtney said...

Sometimes it is nice to have a quiet holiday. I love the baby bedding you found and your Christmas decorations look adorable.

Funky Kim said...

The minky fabric is the bomb! So soft and snuggly!

Linda said...

Very classy decorations Judy! I like them. Can't wait to see the tree too when you are done.

What a lovely crib set! I am so excited about baby Hollis coming. I know you must be ecstatic! It will be fun to see how Harper is with her.
She is really growing up.

We are doing our gathering tomorrow. There will be 21 of us I think. Quite a house full! Lots of noise and laughter. I have much to be thankful for. (:>)
Linda

Becky said...

Alvin and I spent Thanksgiving by ourselves too!!! We actually decided to do a "runaway holiday" and so far we have had a blast. The weather at the beach has been fabulous! We've walked on the beach both days that we have been here. However, the Arkansas cold front has now made it to the beach. We are on the top floor of our condo and the wind is howling! It is suppose to the be in the high 60's tomorrow, so hopefully we will be back out on the beach in the morning!!

I love the new bedding, it is adorable!!! I also, love your Christmas decorations, they are gorgeous!!!!

Marie said...

I love the baby bedding and the Christmas decorations are so pretty, wonder how fast you will have to move the ones on the coffee table once Harper gets there? LOL
We also had a quiet Thanksgiving but the children/grandchildren/great grandchildren did come by just not all at once.
I want to try the pie, sounds good

The Garners said...

I used your buttermilk pie recipe to make two to take to Warren yesterday! Yum--my favorite pie...I ate way too much of it!

Sisters said...

the pie looks so yummy and the decor is beautiful!
AJL

Kayla said...

i've never tried buttermilk pie! hard to believe, right??

LOVE that bedding for the H's! makes me want a baby like now!

love the decor! this was the earliest i've ever decorated, too. think it was because i didnt get to last year so i was VERY antsy!

glad yall had a quiet day together!

Claire said...

White, silver and green looks beautiful!

Cxx

Candis Berge said...

I've never heard of buttermilk pie, but I may have to try it, it looks good! And I always have buttermilk on hand as hubby loves it. I wonder if he will let me use some for pie? :) Love your decorations too - and the minky fabric is wonderful! (I have made some easy baby blankets from it that moms and babies just love - minky on one side and silky satin on the other.) On a side note; I'm sitting here watching and rooting for the HOGS. From Minnesota... go figure!

Nancy said...

I am going to try that pie for my husband...I think he will love it! I love a quiet holiday!
Hope your weekend is nice & relaxing!

Pam said...

Hi Judy, The bedding set is gorgeous and I love the idea of white, silver and green. It will be beautiful.
Pam

Gayle said...

I'm so glad that you posted the recipe for the Buttermilk Pie because I was going to ask. :) It sounds really yummy (and simple!), so I think I'll try it soon.

Heather said...

Judy! You are not going to believe this...but I saw you and Steve at the game yesterday! I am so mad at myself that I didn't come over and say hello! But you guys were walking into the stadium and we walked past each other and it took me a second to figure out where I knew you from and then I thought "Oh! That's Judy! Kelly's Mom!" and by the time I figured it out, I would have had to turn around and chase you down and I hated to be running after you like a crazy stalker!!! But now after the fact I wish I would have!!! I would have loved to meet you in person and said hello! :)
So maybe next time I will so you'll have to be on the lookout for a crazy blonde woman! ha! Hope you had as much fun at the game as we did! GO HOGS!!

Panamamama said...

Scott took the kids to the basketball game in LR yesterday. They had a good time but don't think I'll take the kids to a game again anytime soon- he said people were cussing so badly. I love your decorations!

Yoli said...

Oh sweet seeing the Duggars at the game!! I love their "show". Michelle, momma Duggar, says it's not a "show"; it's their life. Thanks for the picture!!

Love the new crib bedding!!