Saturday, December 10, 2011

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas PARTY!

Hubs and I are so blessed!  We have the pleasure and honor of teaching (well, truth be known, he does the teaching; I am his helpmate) the young adults at our church.

Because we are a small church these range in ages of college age, singles and young married with or without kids!  We love them all and they are special to us!

We have one girl in our class who just gave birth to her first baby Thursday(she didn't come to the party...can you imagine that??) and another girl (her sister) who is due with her baby this spring.  We have an engaged couple, some fairly newly-weds, some married for many years and some who should be getting married soon (Isn't that right, Tyler and Daisy???)

Anyway, a good mix of young adults!

We had our annual Christmas party at our house last night and we had a great time.  Although I didn't get all the pictures I wanted 'cause I was busy being hostess in the kitchen, I did get a few pictures.  Just didn't get one of them all.

It was like a junior high party at first.  Girls all on a table together and the guys were all in the dining room pretty much.  I did take the girls upstairs to our bonus room where they made a little take-home craft of an ornament that they made for their trees.

I was so busy watching them stuff ornaments and tie ribbons that I forgot to take pictures but they turned out really cute!

I know Kelly is having her decorations for Christmas SUYL next Friday but I am going to show mine now.

I never know from one day to the next what I'll be doing by then!!  Since none of our kids will be coming home this year for Christmas (yes, we trade off with the other in-laws...it's the right thing to do) I decided I would not put a tree this year, party or no party!  That's my least favorite thing to do!

So here are a few pictures of the little decorating I did!

The reason for the season:  "For today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."  Luke 2:11




I got this idea from a picture in a P*Barn catalog.  I have acres full of available sticks and you put epsom salts in the bottom of your glass vase to make it look exactly like snow!








Now on to the party.......girls all at the table together........

Guys gathered in the living room ........


I was so busy I didn't get a picture of all the food everyone brought but there was a lot of it and it was all very good!  If you stay to the end of this blog, I will share a new recipe I got from Paula Deen that was so easy, so good and didn't include a stick of butter!!  Can you believe that???

Andrea and Rebecca

Sarah and Casey


Amanda and Alicia

Kristen, Lynn and Gwen

Jeff was quizzing his old pastor!

Bryan, our resident poet, was just happy to let me make his picture....he posed!!

Clint, our favorite pharmacist, was getting ready to play a mad game of Pictionary!
No Apples to Apples tonight!

 







There were a lot of "stick men" drawn in this game!!



I didn't get a picture of all who played but someone took a picture of the "old folks" who played along too!

See, I didn't draw a stick man. I was drawing a car!!

We also played "charades" using Christmas carols!  Old games but lots of fun!

Now for the Paula Deen recipe!

This is so easy and tasted great.....I think I ate two but could have eaten half a dozen but had other mouths to feed!  har

I took a picture of them before I put them in the oven but forgot to take a picture when I took them out because we were ready to eat.  But just imagine these browned so nicely and they looked really nice on a footed cake platter.  



Sausage/Cheese Wonton Cups

10-12 servings


1 lb. pork sausage
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream

24 Wonton wrappers (found in our WM produce aisle)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cook sausage, cumin and red pepper until brown and crumbly.  In medium bowl stir together sausage mixture, cheese and sour cream.

Spray a 24 cup mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.  Fit won ton wraps into muffin pan to form cups, then spray cups with cooking spray.

Divide sausage mixture among cups.
Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown.


These are just delicious and great hors d'oeuvres (yes, I had to look up how to spell that!) for a party!
I cooked the sausage a day ahead and put in the refrig. and just added the cheese and the sour cream to the mixture before I put them together.

Try them, you might like them as much as we did!






















14 comments:

Kelley said...

What a fun time you all had games! I love your Christmas decorations! I know your group was blessed by this event!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Wish I lived close enough to put a tree up for you....Looks like a super fun party

Erin and Ryan said...

As a young adult {with parents far away}, I often look up to the older women in my church. I think it's great that you led this group of young adults! I'm sure it means a lot to them :0)

Nancy said...

I must try that recipe for a party we are going to!
Your Christmas decor looks beautiful! I love what you did on your mantle. Everything looks so pretty!

Leslie Neal said...

Looks like you all had alot of fun! And I love your decorations! Very pretty!

Anonymous said...

Your decorations are lovely! I'm not a fan of putting up a tree, either. That's a job for my son and grandson! I love the Epsom salt idea, and the recipe sounds great, even if there is no butter. (I'm a huge butter lover.)

Richella Parham said...

Oh, Judy, what a blessing it must be to be in your Sunday school class! I must say, I've never been a member of any church that did Sunday school for all ages as well as a Southern Baptist church. My husband taught adult Sunday school for awhile at Brookwood Baptist in Birmingham, and it's a big commitment! What a wonderful means of discipleship!

Looks like your party was great fun for everyone. And your house looks beautiful even without a Christmas tree!

Maryellen said...

Your decorations look beautiful.

I'll have to give that yummy recipe a try - thanks for sharing it.

Angie said...

I love the silver trees and pewter reindeer in the fourth picture! That Paula Deen recipe sounds great! Sausage balls are one of mine and my son's favorite Christmas treats! I can't wait to try that recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love your hair in the picture of you at the easel

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

What a fun evening! Looks as if you were a perfect hostess and everyone had a good time. I can't wait to try those wonton cups, I think I have everything on hand. Yum!

Johanne said...

Your Home looks so beautiful, thank you for sharing. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas.

Love Being A Nonny said...

What fun Judy! Loved seeing all the pics and loved your *Pottery Barn* look!!! From one Nonny to another!!

Jen said...

Sounds like our super bowl go to called sausage stars but you use ranch dressing in place of the sour cream and they always disappear first!