Monday, January 23, 2012

Love Will Keep Us Together

There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion, or company than a good marriage.

                                            -Martin Luther


Happy marriages BEGIN when we marry the ones we love and they BLOSSOM when we love the ones we marry.

                                             -Tom Mullens




Forty-one years ago today I married the one I thought I loved more than anything and forty-one years later I love him more today than I did on that rainy January night so very long ago.

I have no gift to give him worthy of what he means to me. I thought I would write him a little list of 41 reasons I have been so blessed by him all these years!

 1. I love that he loves the Lord above all....me included!  That's the divine order of life!
 2. I love that he loves the Word of God and studies it continually.
 3. I love that he faithfully proclaims God's Word with no compromise.
 4. I love that he is the only person in the world who loves my children as much as I do.
 5. I love that he is and has been a loving and faithful husband to me.
 6. I love that he thinks our grandchildren are GRAND children!  He loves them so much!
 7. He is a man of great integrity.
 8. He values character over popularity.
 9. He is the most generous man I know.
10. He is calm during the storms of life.
11. He is dependable.
12. He is faithful and trustworthy.
13. He is a hard worker.
14. He is super intelligent.
15. He has a keen sense of humor. (That is one of the greatest secrets of a happy marriage!)
16. He know how to do many diverse things such as build things, do plumbing, tiling, electrical, etc.
17. He knows how to work so many technological gadgets. (That always amazes me)
18. I love how he appreciates the little things in life.  Not a big pleasure-seeker.
19. I love how he was so unselfish in the ways he loved my parents and helped them when they were alive.
20.I love that he loves to eat dill pickles right out of the jar.
21. He prays for all of us in his family, including all our church family.
22. I love that he is a die heart Razorback fan....faithful fan...win or lose!
23. I love how he loves his tractor.
24. I love how he is not a clothes-horse.
25. I love how he can be counted on during a crisis.
26. I love that having white hair (and these days, very little of it) since he was young doesn't bother him.
27. I love how he has a tender heart and tears up frequently.
28. I love how he watches "This Old House" on TV and wishes he could work along side of "Norm".
29.I love how dependable he is.  I can always trust him.
30. I love how he is not musically talented very much but that doesn't stop him from loving music and singing and praising God!
31.I love how he loves to travel to other countries and do mission work for sharing God's Word to all  parts of the world!
32.I love how he can be asleep snoring before I can get my pillow fluffed and covers straightened!
33. I love that he is physically strong and is not afraid of physical work.
34. I love that he is able to think rationally and calmly when others do not.
35. I love that he loves the children in our church and loves to play with them!
36. I love that he is a ferocious appetite for reading and reads probably a book a week.
37. I love that he lets me be ME!
38. I love that I always feel safe when I'm with him.
39. I love that he has such a love for our country, for history and a keen insight into politics. (That's what he majored in during college)
40. I love that he always has a great sense of direction....rarely gets lost.

And finally, number 41: I love him because for 41 years now he has been my very best friend, has loved me and made me feel special.

I love you Steve!  What you say we try for 50????








60 comments:

Kimberly said...

Happy Anniversary!

Charity said...

Happy Anniversary!

I love that list! About made me tear up!!

I hope one day I can find someone that loves me like you two love eachother!

Nancy said...

Happy Anniversary to such a sweet couple. I don't "know" you both, but through your blogs & Kelly's I sure have grown to love what you stand for & the strong example you are to so many!!
Have a wonderful day together!

Joke said...

Congrats to you, love birds. What a great example! I am getting married this Summer and strive for a marriage like yours! God bless!

emily said...

happy anniversary to both of you! :)

Allison said...

Happy Anniversary! My parents divorced when I was young, but I'm glad to see that when you put God in the center of your marriage, you can make it 41 years! I pray my husband and I make it to where you are one day!

Whitney said...

Happy Anniversary! What a sweet post. Enjoy your day!

Sandy said...

Congratulations on 41 years! I hope you are blessed with many more years together.

Joyce said...

What a wonderful list! Congratulations on your long happy marriage. Definitely something to be proud of...wishing you many more!

Sara Lynn said...

Yall are seriously an amazing couple! I pray I find a man as amazing and have a relationship as strong as the one yall have.

Happy Anniversary!

Mallorie said...

Well y'all are just precious! Happy Anniversary!!! I loved your list, so sweet :-) My dad used to watch This Old House each weekend and I know he would LOVE to work alongside Norm as well ;-) Congratulations to you two, you are such a great example of what a strong marriage should look like!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! My parent's have been married for 42 years now.

Blessings,

Amy

Jenna said...

I just love this! Happy Happy Anniversary!!!

April said...

Judy, that was so sweet! You two are such an amazing example of everlasting love. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Patty said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Melanie Keffer said...

Wonderful post!

Happy Anniversary!

Melanie Keffer
Olive Branch, MS

Linda said...

That kind of love is BEAUTIFUL Judy! I feel the same way about my husband....and life with him just keeps getting better.

Happy 41st Anniversary!

May God make it a very special day for the two of you!

Love in Christ,
Linda

Mallory said...

Happy Anniversary to a special couple! I can see that you both lead a life for Christ and that's relevant for all of those around you, and most importantly you instill it in others in your life! (Your kids!)

Robin said...

Happy Anniversary! 41 years and to still be so in love. What a precious example to those around you ... and for those you read your blog!

Pinot after Playdates said...

what a wonderful list! Congratulations!

Brittany..Following my Bliss said...

Happy Anniversary. My parents would have been celebrating 47 years this May but dad crossed suddenly into heaven in November.

Green Girl said...

You are a wonderful inspiration for those of us in my generation where 4 years is a big accomplishment in today's society where marriage has sadly been more about the wedding than the marriage.
Like you, my parents will be married 39 years this year and have been a wonderful model for me and now my boyfriend.
God blessed you both...

Faith said...

Happy Anniversary to such a precious couple! I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating!

Faith said...

Happy Anniversary to such a precious couple! I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating!

Kathy said...

Happy Anniversary you two! I remember that day well and it seems like it was just yesterday. I have to say that Steve was very lucky in finding you and I have to thank him for giving me the best SIL. How you came up with 41 things you love about him I'll never know! Ha! But I have to say they all are true. Just don't tell I said so. Love you both.

Lauren said...

I just love you two!!! Pray God blesses you with MANY more years together!! Pray you have a wonderful day celebrating the blessing of your marriage!

Patty Sumner said...

Isn't a true man of God simply amazing! You are blessed. I love the 41 thoughts. A man of God is a joy! Happy Anniversary and Yes, I hope you make the big 50. Blessings!

Chrissy said...

Such a sweet post! Happy anniversary! :)

Samantha said...

That was beautiful! Made me tear up! Happy Anniversary!

Becky said...

Happy Anniversary you two love birds!!!

jenn said...

What a beautiful list!! I'm crying reading every reason!! I pray and hope my husband will be married 40+ years! what a wonderful example your marriage is! (and hey, don't stop at 50...a very sweet "older" couple in my church just celebrate their
82nd anniversary!! ;)

Candis Berge said...

Oh, sweet congratulations to you both! Every day is a gift from God and all those years add up to a very big gift, indeed. (I thank the Lord every evening for the godly husband that leads our family.) Enjoy a great celebration week! God is good, indeed.

The Garners said...

Happy Anniversary to one of my VERY FAVORITE COUPLES! We love y'all! This is a wonderful list, and I feel sure he could easily come up with a list about you, too! May you be blessed with many many more years of health and happiness together!

Taylor said...

Happy Anniversary!!! This was such a great post and I was teary eyed by #41!!!

Kimberley said...

oh i just loved reading the list! i may do one myself, but i will only need 7 :)

happy anniversary!!! i hope you both are having a blessed day! what a great example of marriage you both truly are!!

p.s. i loved #32. my hubs is the same way!! :)

Amanda said...

Happy, Happy Anniversary!! Your list is so thoughtful and sweet!

It is wonderful that your children and grandchildren have such godly role models in their lives.

Elaina Weaver said...

Beautiful post!! Happy Anniversary.

"Forty-one years ago today I married the one I thought I loved more than anything and forty-one years later I love him more today than I did on that rainy January night so very long ago." Though I've only recently celebrated my 8th anniversary with my husband this is how I feel. I can't wait to see how much I love my man when we reach 41 years.

Maria said...

Miss Judy, I don't know you or your family, but have been reading your blog and Kelly's for a while now.Y'all are just such a sweet family. It's amazing to me how much our husbands have in common too! Mine is a Presbyterian minister in Mississippi. We have only been married for 13 1/2 years and only 3+ in the ministry, but I hope the Lord blesses us with many more. Numbers 1 and 37 on your list are especially important to me! I've told my teenage niece that most important in marriage is to marry a man who loves the Lord more than her! Happy anniversary and God bless you both!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute. Happy Anniversary, you two.

Chrissy said...

Very sweet post! Happy anniversary! :)

merlin said...

Congratulations. I loved how today's verse was a perfect tie-in.

little said...

I've never commented on your blog before, of course I came from Kelly's. But had to say this was the sweetest thing I've read in a long time. Happy Anniversary :)Stephanie

Savannah said...

What a sweet sweet post. You are an inspiration!

Carrie Martin said...

That was the sweetest post ever Judy! And now I am crying because my emotions are truly getting the best of me these days, and I bet you know why. Ha! Love you!
-Carrie

Kelley said...

Happy Anniversary!

Toni :O) said...

Happy Anniversary! My in-laws celebrate 50 years this weekend-it's a fun spot to be at so have fun getting there!

Maryellen said...

Happy Anniversary !
Your hubby is clearly a treasure!

Laurie said...

This is a wonderful post! Happy Anniversary!!!! What wonderful role models you two are!

Diane said...

That list was so cute! Happy anniversary!!!

Erin said...

Happy Anniversary!

LOVE your list!

Melissa said...

Happy Anniversary!

Such a great list...and a great love you share...truly blessed.

I have always hoped for a "true love and best friend"...at least you are proof it does exist.

Melissa Stover said...

happy anniversary! y'all look great together. my husband is also snoring before I can even get settled. that took some getting used to at first.

Island Baby said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!
You forgot a big one! Don't you also love how much he loves your furbabies?!!

Thumpers said...

Happy Anniversary and may you be blessed with many more. We just celebrated our 50th, on our 40th my hubby wrote 40 reasons he loved me Made me cry, I was so very touched. It is wonderful to be blessed with a godly hubby.

Rosemary

Kelly said...

Happy Anniversary!! I love your list!

Tanya said...

Happy Anniversary! That is one beautiful awesome tribute to a great man I can tell! What a truly wonderful milestone the 2 of you have made....41 years and counting!
Blesssings for many more!
God has blessed your family with a man who loves God and leads the family.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

That was beautiful.....In June it will be 40 years for us....He and Jack have so many of the same traits...Happy Anniversary...and many more....

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Happy Anniversary! I really like that quote from Tom Mullens...so true. This is a great list that describes a man of great character...he's definitely a keeper! And he's especially blessed to have you as his wife. :)

Love Being A Nonny said...

I love how you love him!

D and R said...

I LOVED this. This would be a great blog post to share with your young married's group at church - or more importantly the college aged or high school aged groups. These are a lot of things that I don't think people think to look for in a spouse, that years later make the difference between a great marriage and a just ok marriage. Happy Anniversary! I'm so happy that you found God's match for you.