Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Little Red/Blue/Yellow/Pink Rocking Chair

Many years ago ( approx. 60 give or take) in a land far away (South Arkansas to be exact) there were two little girls who had a red rocker.

I'm not sure where Sister and I got this rocker and it is one of those questions that will go unanswered because anyone who would know is deceased.



Somehow we kept it in the family and didn't get rid of it all these years.  I remember painting it "country blue" in the 60's.  Remember when everything was that country milky blue and pink!

Yuk, when I think of it now I cringe!

About the time I got pregnant with my first baby (Kelly) I took the little blue rocker home with me after visiting my parents.  Since back in those days we had no idea whether we were having a boy or girl, I painted it yellow.    I made a little pillow and back pillow for the rocker using the same fabric as the curtains in my nursery.




Here's Kelly as a baby with her little yellow rocker!  This little rocker has been in storage for many, many years now.   But I got it out a couple of weeks ago, cleaned it up and painted it pink.

For guess who??





Yes, Harper arrived today and went right to her "new" little PINK rocker!




If we get some baby boys in the family any time soon I may have to paint it "country blue" again!!





We are so happy to have Harper and her Mama stay with us for several days!

We'll be rocking (in her rocker) and rolling(in her little car)!!

It doesn't get any better than that!!

19 comments:

Jacquie said...

How CUTE is that???? See, you never know when you might need something later on down the line!

Girl with the Curlz said...

What a cute little chair. Harper looks adorable. I love the pictures of Kelly when she was little too.

Kelley said...

That is absolutely precious! I love seeing the pictures of Kelly and then that of Harper. I am glad you kept that rocker. Harper looks like she loves it!

Gram said...

What wonderful memories. I am so glad I kept items from my son and am not able to share them with his son.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story. My sister and I shared a rocker like yours. Ours was painted green with orange flowers...ick! My sister has it now I believe. Enjoy those two sweet girls of yours~

Becky said...

I'm going to just jump out there and say, "you are in hog heaven"!!!

Carol said...

Your little rocker has made a remarkable journey! It's so CUTE painted little girl pink! Enjoy having your girls with you this week.

Smiles & Blessings,
Carol

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Cute rocker! I love that you've kept it all these years...so special. Have fun!

Laurie said...

I love the rocker story! Looks like Harper loves it!

Lauren said...

Love this!!! So sweet!! :)

emily said...

My parents purchased an old rocker like this one at a flea market for me when I was Harper's age (I'm 25 now!). It's painted red and now it is the first thing my niece (who's just a few months older than Harper) runs to every time she goes to Pa and Mimi's house. :)

Sharmin said...

I love it! I have a little rocker that was mine, I think it was black when I had it, then Mom painted it yellow for Lance, then I painted it red for Casey, then blue for Austin, now it's John Deere green with John Deere fabric for Logan.

Love Being A Nonny said...

I know you are in heaven right now Nonny! I am bringing things down from my attic too...memories! Harper is adorable!!! I mean ADORABLE!! (And so is her mom!) From one Nonny to another!

Jill said...

Sweet, and I am surprised so many people say she looks just like Scott because I think she looks just like Kelly!

Jess :) said...

That is just too precious!! Of course, I love the updated PINK color you chose to paint it!! :) Miss Harper looks like she could stay in that all day long. Well, in between her getting in and out of the car you got her 300 times!! Hahaha ;)

Too cute! So glad that you get to enjoy time with them. Have FUN!

Erin said...

Oh, this brings back memories I had totally forgotten about my little rocking chair, all three of my sisters sat in it as well. So sweet to see Harper in it now!

RobinVZ said...

You, of course, don't know me, but I am DYING to see the enchilada ring recipe! :) (pic from kelly's blog)

Unknown said...

adorable!! hoping you post the enchilada ring recipe!!!

Father's Grace Ministries said...

I LOVE this post! What a beautiful rocker!-beautiful Harper too! It's great to pass things down from generation to generation. The old cane bassinet that mybrother and I slept in as babies, used to belong to one of my Great-Aunts and her babies slept in it. It was passed on to me, when I was expecting our firstborn, and my hubby painted it cream. Both my daughters got to use it.Unfortunately our twin boys wouldn't fit side by side in it- so they missed out!!

I always enjoy your nostalgia posts and pictures of Kelly and Chris growing up. I was born in 1967 and they remind me of my brother and I growing up over here in Australia.
Claire