Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rainy days and Thursday

Today it has rained off and on nearly all day. This is a picture I made today of the road(lane really) in front of our house. It wasn't raining when I took this early today. The trees are finally turning hues of red and gold just in the past two days. I don't think we are going to have a very long time to enjoy them this year because they are falling fast.

I got to enjoy lunch today with three friends in another town. We ate and ate and laughed till we were afraid they might ask us to leave! We had some Creme Brulee for dessert and it was fine, yes, mam, it was GOOD! So I started thinking if I had ever made Creme Brulee?Didn't have to think too long.....no, I haven't.

I looked in my old Helen Corbitt (of Neiman Marcus fame) (you young women ask your Mother;she will know!) cookbook and it's not that hard to make. Try it; you might like it!

Creme Brulee

2 cups cream
4 egg yolks
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup light brown sugar

Heat cream in a double boiler. (I would do this in the microwave). Beat egg yolks, adding sugar gradually. Remove cream from heat and pour over egg mixture very slowly. Add vanilla. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Place in pan of hot water and bake uncovered at 320 degrees about 45 to 50 mins. or until set. When custard is set, sprinkly with the brown sugar. Place under broiler for a minute or so until the sugar melts. This is a rich smooth custard and should be served cold.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'll be expecting this for Christmas! I love Creme Brulee!
The picture of the road looks so pretty!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful picture of the lane. It looks like a postcard. I LOVE creme brulee and have always meant to try to make it. Thanks for the recipe.