Thursday, June 12, 2008

State Tour


Sister and I got home late this afternoon and felt like we have toured the state for the last three days! We started off by leisurely driving down toward Little Rock deciding we would stop when we wanted to look at something. Well,that didn't take long! We had heard about a neat furniture store in Marshall and decided to check it out. (Of course, we don't NEED furniture but just had to look at something different!) This store had the biggest amount of furniture I have ever seen in such a small town. They sell furniture mostly to cabins and condos in Branson. They had the best selection of light fixtures (with the Cabin theme) I have ever seen! It was fun to see all the unusual things they had.
We stopped in Little Rock to shop and met hubby, who was already in town for a meeting, for lunch at Fu Lin's. That is our favorite Chinese place in Little Rock. Of course now that PF Chang's is there, it's our second favorite place!

Then it was on to Pine Bluff to visit and spend the night with my friend, Cathey. Remember the blog I wrote about her a couple of weeks ago? She and her husband, Bo, have a beautiful home on the outshirts of town, pictured above. We had such a wonderful visit with them. In fact, we sat up till 2:30a.m. talking!

We went over to see Cathey's beautiful daughter Laura and her two children. Cathey didn't mind holding them for a quick picture! Aren't they sweet? They are so blessed to live in the same town with their grandparents! You know they won't be too spoiled!


After we left Pine Bluff the next day, it was on to Texarkana to visit with my cousin, Janice and her hubby Gerald. She owns a design shop and is a decorator. We went to lunch and enjoy our visit very much. She is our only cousin that we get to see frequently. Our mothers were sisters.Janice was like an older sister to us as we grew up in the same town. We were candlelighters in their wedding 50 years ago this coming July. (OK, I had just turned 10 years old!)
From there we went to De Queen where our parents are buried. We went to the gravesite and looked around at all the new graves that hadn't been there the last time we had visited. After we toured the town looking at old haunts, we left and drove to Hot Springs to spend the night.

This morning we drove back to Little Rock. Since we hadn't had breakfast and the store that we wanted to go to wasn't open yet, we stopped at K.Kremes. I had never been in one even though I had eaten their doughnuts before.

We were greeted by the cutest and most friendly young man that I had to take his picture. He gave us a hot doughnut right out of the oven (deep fryer most likely). It was delicious! I told him I had just come in to get" A "(only one) doughnut and now what should I do? Eat my free doughnut and leave?? He laughed and ask how many dozen we wanted? Sister and I bought one doughnut each and a drink.....more than we could eat! But the young man brightened our day by his friendly smile and welcoming ways!


We shopped in Little Rock and Conway and then headed for home. We laughed that we would shop until the car could hold no more..........and we got close. We decided we looked like the Joad family from the "Grapes of Wrath"! Actually, the car was full of candleholders for my son's rehearsal dinner and we had very little room for shopping stuff! But we did the best we could!

I need to unpack, wash clothes, read mail and email and get to bed! My feet are tired and so is the rest of my body! But it was a fun around-the-state trip!



12 comments:

Morris Family said...

Isn't Roten's a GREAT store??!!! Glad you had a good trip!! It is always fun to go somewhere with a sister!!

The Garners said...

Looks like y'all had a GREAT time touring the state! I recognized the KKreme friendly face--we go there on Saturday a.m. sometimes! I always have that same dilemma--I really only like the original, glazed donuts, so after I eat the free one (or two--since Rhett likes sprinkle donuts instead), I'm ready to leave! ha! I just wish you'd made one more stop--at our house for a visit! We would have gladly made you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch! Maybe next time!?

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Sounds like a fun trip!

Kelly said...

Cathey's house looks really nice! I'm glad ya'll had a good time!
Hot KK donuts are the BEST!!!!!

Becky said...

Looks like you two had a great time. I love road trips where you are in no hurry and can take time to stop anywhere and anytime you want. Have a GREAT weekend!

Megan said...

What a fun trip! Our state has some neat places and of course the best people!

Sharmin said...

Sounds like a great trip!

MiMi said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! We used to live near a K.K. and ...oh my goodness...if the "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign was on, you knew you were in trouble! When they are hot you can eat about 5 of them cause they just disintegrate in your mouth! Unfortunately, they don't disintegrate off of your HIPS, though!!! Get some rest and have a great weekend!
Emilie

Leigh Ann said...

I need to go shopping with you. It looks like you know how to do it! I never thought about keeping going until the car would hold no more, but it sounds like a good plan to me. I'm glad you had a nice visit with your sister.

Melissa Stover said...

oh my word that's a crowded car! you passed all around my house.

Heather said...

Looks like you had a fun trip with your sister. Does your cousin live in Texarkana, TX? I have family there and her shop looks like it's in Summerhill Square. I'll have to visit her store next time we're home if that's the case!!

Jen said...

Hi! I'm Jennifer and from the DeQueen area (actually Horatio) and my parents (grandparents too)live in DeQueen now. My husband is from Texarkana! Your cousin's shop looks like it's in Summerhill Square...neat place to eat over there is Julie's Deli. :)

Anyway, I just had to comment since you were in my neck of the woods (I live in Louisiana now)! I lurk on your blog from time to time...I found it via your daughter's blog via my friend Candy who reads/posts on Kelly's blog too. Small world isn't it?! My blog is set to private, but I'd love to chat with you and see if we know anyone mutually.

God bless!