Saturday, August 9, 2008

All Hands on Deck ......

For over a year now our deck has needed painting. It needed it last summer but we never got around to it. Then fall came and the leaves were all over it and it was a useless venture. You can't paint in the winter...it may ice! So finally, we get a couple of days of nice weather plus we are suppose to have one of the younger couples Bible study groups over soon for a cook-out....so it's NOW or NEVER! Funny how having "company" will get you on projects you just soon forget!
We started by clearing off the deck and power-washing! The spiders have been working overtime this year and we unfortunately washed out a few spider-homes! Sorry, Itsy Bitsy Spiders!
We moved all the deck furniture out into the backyard to get ready for them to be all power-washed also. I thought it looked like we were setting up for a yard party! That might be fun!(If it weren't for the bugs, ticks, chiggers, etc.)
This afternoon we got the deck all painted and just about finished the railing when it started to cloud up and rain. That's OK......we needed to go to L*we's and get more paint! You always have to buy more paint! That's Murphy's Law of starting a project when you live miles and miles from the paint store!

I will post again when we get it all finished and all furniture back on the deck and ready for the class fellowship!
I don't know if you have been to the store(L*we's ) in the last couple of days or not. I also noticed this at our local WM, but the mums have come in! I thought they show up around Sept or October.

Have you noticed how they speed everything up these days? The bathing suits are out with the winter sweaters, the Halloween stuff in on one aisle and the Christmas stuff in on the other. They have had the "Back-to-School" supplies out since the 4th of July!

Please, retailers, stop this! I feel behind all the time! Can't we just wait 3 weeks before the event (except maybe Christmas) to put out the decorations, etc?? That's plenty of time to get your little pumpkin suit and candy! Does that bother you too, or is it just me??

8 comments:

Jacquie said...

Looks like a BIG job to me! I thought the same thing about your patio furniture! That's a lot of furniture.

I totally agree with you on the stores putting stuff out way TOO early. It's a downer.

Kelly said...

The deck is going to look really good.
I like all that patio furniture in your back yard - it does look like a fun party!
Hobby Lobby has had their Christmas and Fall stuff out for WEEKS!

The Garners said...

The retailer rush bothers me, too. It makes me grouchy to see Christmas stuff at Hobby Lobby when it's 103 degrees! :) The thought of holiday shopping right now nearly sends me over the edge--ha!

Your deck looks so nice! Did you expand the deck from when you first built? Maybe I saw it, but I don't remember it being so big--what a GREAT place for a cookout/Bible study meeting! My poor flower pots on the front steps would love to see a fresh mum. The shriveled up pansies from MONTHS ago do not look inviting at all!

kari and kijsa said...

Thank you so much for your prayers and wonderfully kind comments during this difficult time. Every word made and is making a difference as we begin this new journey.

Thank you so much for your words of comfort and blessing,
kari & kijsa

MiMi said...

That looks like a major undertaking! We have some projects that we need to stop postponing, too. Maybe I need to plan to have a party at my house to make me get some things done! We have had a quart of paint to repaint our front door, probably 6 months, and we STILL don't have it painted!

I agree about the retailers rushing all the seasons! Who can think about buying mums when it's 100 degrees outside!

I know the deck is going to look great when you are all finished!

Have a great weekend!

Leigh Ann said...

We really need to stain our fence soon.
I DO think retailers get all the holiday and Christmas stuff out way too early. I just think there is something wrong with Halloween and Christmas decorations out at the same time. It is WAY too early and makes me panic!

Scrapper Mom said...

Hi there. I thank you for stopping by my blog and for commenting.

Yes, I feel the same way about the stores mixing the seasons. I guess it's ok about the back to school, because I hate fighting the crowds for that stuff right before school, but they could at least wait until one holiday is over before they put out another!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I am with you on the decorations ;)! We went to Hobby Lobby on Saturday night and there was Christmas stuff EVERYWHERE!

I have to admit I am excited about the mums ;)!