Thursday, October 16, 2008

Food for Thought

Someone send me this recently and I thought it was good enough to pass along!


If you're spiritually alive, you're going to love this! If you are spiritually dead, you won't want to read it. If you are spiritually curious, there is still hope!



Why Go To Church?


A church-goer wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper and complained that it made NO sense to go to church every Sunday. "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasing my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."


This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

"I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But , for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals.

BUT, I do know this. They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. I f my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today.

Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment from God's Word, I would be spiritually dead today!"

Faith sees the invisible, believes the indredible and receives the impossible!

Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment!

Hebrews 4:12

11 comments:

Immeasurably More Mama said...

I LOVE this! What a great encouragement to know all that we learn is nourishing us spiritually and strengthening us in ways we don't even realize sometimes!

Jennifer said...

What a great post!!

Jacquie said...

Exactly!! Well said.

Love your new fall blog design...

Kara said...

Oh this is GREAT! Made me do an "Amen" out loud here in the office! Thanks for sharing this!
God Bless!

April said...

Hi Judy!!

This is such a great post and it is so very true!! Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us!! Hope you have a wonderful rest of the day!! :)

MiMi said...

What a great illustration! So true!

Leigh Ann said...

I love this..."Faith sees the invisible, believes the indredible and receives the impossible!"

AMEN to that!

C.Schad said...

Great post Judy!

Not sure how I came across your blog, but you have done a great job! I am glad I found it. You have always been kind to me and I would love to read your inspirational posts!

Have a wonderful day!
Christy

Leigh Ann said...

I just read your "Joe the Plumber" comment. Oh, it made me laugh out loud! I didn't even think about that!

Laura Ann said...

Thank you for a great post and for visiting my blog. We are so excited about Baby Gavin...and I appreciate sweetness in your comments ~ thats were Kelly gets it!

~Bekah said...

wow, thank you soo much for this and you have no idea how relevant this is to our lives right now. our church is in the midst of a split. our entire church staff has resigned and is leaving to form a new church. us that are left behind doing what we feel God is leading us to do feel like we are losing great friends. 95% of our close friends are leaving and me and my husband both grew up in church and believe in "Church Family." The word "family" is exactly what church means to mean...family glorifying God together....please pray for our church and our struggles b/c of this. we don't know what God has in store but we do know whatever it is, it's Perfect and glorious b/c it's from Him! thank you for ur sweet comments about the Razorback outfit. it was truly an honor to make for Harper and to make for Kelly. I'm delighted that she loves it and i can't wait to start on my VERY OWN baby stuff! i never thought this day would actually come and now that it has, the devil is trying to fill my mind w/ doubt and fear but my FAITH IN THE LORD AND HIS BLESSINGS TO US are stronger than any doubt or fear the devil tries to throw our way! sorry this is soo long...i just felt like i needed to chat w/ ya and i'm thankful for your post! thanks again for your sweet comment! Kelly is truly a blessing and inspiration to me.... ~God bless....