Monday, March 23, 2009

Comfort Food/ Chocolate Banana Muffins

All my life I have suffered with tonsillitis.  I had it regularly as a child and remember being taken to the doctor as well as if it were yesterday.  They always pricked your finger and drew blood no matter what your illness.  I always hated that.  They don't do that anymore, thank goodness!


As an adult, I still get a case of swollen and inflamed tonsils(along with fever and congestion) at least once a year.  I remember thinking  in November of last year that I would be so pleased if the Lord would keep  me from getting  sick when it was time for Harper to arrive.  I had waited for so long to be a "Grandma" and I just COULD NOT miss being with Kelly and seeing Harper enter this world!

And , of course, after everything that happened at Harper's birth, I was again, asking the Lord to keep me healthy so I could be there for Scott and Kelly as we all waited while the Lord was healing Harper!

So the past two days, the dreaded tonsillitis raised its ugly head and I have not felt good.
Today, after a night of NO SLEEP and feeling terrible,  Hubs suggested that I go see my doctor!
He has a lot of good ideas!

So I went over this morning and they gave me a steriod shot.  My throat felt much better within the span of a couple of hours.  However, I am still fighting alot of headaches and congestion.
Tomorrow will be a better day!

I say all this(no one really wants to hear an old lady's aches and pains) to say this:  I felt like making some comfort food.  Ever since Kelly mentioned eating brunch at Mimi's this past Saturday and spoke of Chocolate Banana Muffins.......I've had visions of muffins dancing in my dreams.  Well, scratch that, I didn't sleep a wink last night......but I was thinking of how I don't think I have ever had a chocolate banana muffin.

I went to my trusty google and found several recipes.  This is the one I used and they were delicious!!!!  Even Hubs ate one and he's not real fond of banana muffins. The picture above were all I had left because I took half of them to a sick neighbor!  I'm not the only "sickie" in the neighborhood!

These were easy and delicious!  Try it even if you're not sick and need comfort food!


Chocolate Banana Muffins

1   3/4  cups all-purpose flour                                 1/4 cup veg.oil
3/4  cup sugar                                                             1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used 3/4 cup sour 
1 teasp. baking powder                                                      cream...worked great!)
1 teasp. baking soda                                                    1 teasp. vanilla
1/2 teasp. salt                                                               1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2)
1 egg                                                                                3/4 cup chocolate chips                                                 
                                                                                            
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, yogurt (or Sour Cream) and vanilla.  Stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened.  

Fold in bananas and chocolate chips.  Fills greased or paper-lined muffins ups.  Bake at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes.   Makes approximately 15 muffins.
                                             
                                                                                        

     Note:  I'm not sure what happen to my recipe...it's all scrambled and I can't seem to fix it.  Where is that TECH BOY when you need him?? The basic recipe calls for the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 egg, veg.oil, yogurt which I substituted sour cream, vanilla extract, 2 ripe bananas and chocolate chips.  Sorry!                                                                                 



28 comments:

Kelly said...

I'll have to try that - although Mimi's are hard to beat!
I'm sorry you've been sick. I hope you didn't catch it from me???? I didn't even talk to you today to know you were sick. I hope you feel better by tomorrow. Harper has had a runny nose today but I think she feels okay other than that. I think that's a normal baby thing.

Jennifer said...

Those muffins look so good! I may have to try and bake some! Try is the key word!:)

I'm so sorry you have felt bad. I hope you feel better soon! Maybe those muffins were just the medicine you needed!

Jacquie said...

Boy, that shot must've been good if you're up baking!!!

I LOVE banana bread, banana muffins, banana anything!!

Hope you feel better soon!!

Jenna said...

Yum, those look SO delicious! Thanks for the recipe!! I hope you are feeling better and better as the hours go by. Praying for you!!

We've Got Scents said...

These sound delicious. Not sure why, but banana split's come to mind when I feel bad, guess there are something about bananas that make us think 'comfort food':)
Blessings to your family and pray you and your neighbor are well very soon,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Immeasurably More Mama said...

I had a baking day last week and stocked the freezer with all kinds of yummy treats...chocolate chip banana muffins were on the list! They are delicious!!!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry that you are not feeling well. Those muffins sure could do the trick,smile. Maybe you have what Kelly had. I hope yall both feel better soon~

Jess :) said...

Praying that you will be feeling better SOON!! Glad you were able to make some muffins, in spite of not feeling 100%! They look fantastic!! I can't wait to try out the recipe!

Pastor Steve said...

Those muffins were awesome! Makes me almost wish you would get sick enough to bake more often.
Love - Hubs

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Those muffins look delicious! I love anything made with bananas. Banana icecream is my favorite!!!
Hope you feel better soon! Love & blessings from NC!

Heather said...

I need to try those muffins- they sound great! I am so sorry you are not feeling well and hope you get better soon! Harper is so adorable! You are the best "nonny!" I always miss my mom when I read your blog!

Kelley said...

I hope you get to feeling better soon! I'll have to try those muffins.

Anonymous said...

yum!

Megan said...

Sound good

Lauren said...

So glad you're feeling better, Judy! Praying for you, and those muffins look SOOOOO yummy!!! :O)

Love Being A Nonny said...

Those muffins are enough to make ANYONE better. Said a prayer for you. From one Nonny to another,
angela

Tenille Rauls said...

I just wanted to say thank you for your sweet message on my blog. Isn't is amazing how God works!! He can bring friends from over 30 years ago back together! :) I have been so overwhelmed by the prayers Kelly has lead to my blog as well. I am so thankful for her~ My mom and dad were thrilled to hear from you and had such great memories brought back to the forefront of you guys! Chocolate banana muffins sound awesome! I will have to try your recipe when I get my sweet baby home~ I will continue to follow your and Kelly's blog but now with an even softer heart of a friend. God bless, Tenille
http://tenille.blogplot.com

Katie said...

I'm sorry to hear you have been sick! Tonsillitis (and anything else that has to do with your throat) is soooo sore and irritating. I hope it is very short-lived. Your table looks so pretty!! :o) I made choc. banana muffins just last week. I looove them! I usually use sour cream in mine, too, although sometimes I've even used mayonnaise. I like the SC the best, though. And sometimes (only because it's easier than spooning out the muffin increments), I'll even make it in loaf form. Take care!

MiMi said...

So sorry to hear that you are sick. I can certainly relate to having tonsillitis as a child. I pretty much stayed sick ALL the time until I finally had my tonsils removed.

The muffins sound yummy! I love Mimi's muffins, too, but what could be better than Nonny's muffins?!?!?

Hope you get a good night's rest and that you feel much better soon!

Erin said...

Yum, those muffins look delicious! Praying that you feel better soon!

Leigh Ann said...

I have been thinking about those muffins, too, since that post, so thank you for helping this girl out!!! They look and sound DE-LISH!

I'm sorry you have been under the weather. I'm glad you listened to Pastor Steve and went to the doctor. I hope tomorrow is much, much better! Hugs!

Linda said...

Sounds delicious. I will have to give them a try. Sorry about the tonsilitis but glad you are feeling better after the shot.
Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

I think I will try these muffins, too. They look good. I hardly ever bake and I am SO in the mood to do so now!!:)

In His Army said...

I'll be trying these muffins!!! Haven't got to read or comment lately but I have been peeking in on Kelly's to see recent pictures of that sweet grnadbaby!

In His Army said...

And I hope you're feeling better soon! :)

Gram said...

Sure hope you are not still sick, keep checking in to see if there is a new post.

Anonymous said...

Bananas have been linked to tonsilitis.
Everytime my niece eats them the next day she is sick with tonsilitis. Maybe do some research on this and see if it helps.
Raspberry and white chocolate muffins may be the way to go.