Saturday, March 14, 2009

Things Unseen

I do daily devotions and read my Bible every morning.  To be totally honest, some days I am more rushed than others but I do try to listen to what God has to say to me through His Word just to make more sense of today's world.


This week, I was blow away by the devotion I read and just felt in my heart that I needed to share it.  It was so right-where-we -live in today's cultural/economic climate.  I hope you will take a minute and read this.  I do hope I am not breaking any laws by copying this down for you to read.  I do not know who the author is but it was just too relevant to pass up.  Please let God speak to your heart and see if this applies to you:

We live in a world that values the EXACT opposite of what God values.  If you could flip everything this world knows and values upside-down and inside-out.................that's what God values.  Satan is the god of this age (2 Corinthians 4:4), so the way he's set up the world's economy is hardly surprising.

Yet most of us have been taught by this world.  We have learned to see life as the world sees it.  We see life from the world's point of view.

What you look like.......your physical description......is only PART of  who you are.  There's also a part of you that doesn't have any physical form....that's your character, your personality, your SOUL.

It's the same with God's spiritual kingdom.  Some of it is visible in the physical world, but there's a lot that's behind the scenes.

While we can't always see it or feel it, we know it's there, working within and among what we can see.
 
When you join His Kingdom, you're deciding to value the goodness of God and His Kingdom more than ANYTHING ELSE.

It's difficult to disregard the world's total disobedience and rebellion and instead, LIVE in God's kingdom.  One way to do that  is to recognize the rule this world plays by and then live by a DIFFERENT playbook!

You know what the world values because you live it everyday.   It values how attractive people are, how much power or money they have,their  pleasures  and how much recognition they get.

BUT  that's NOT God's measuring stick!

To get God's view we must open HIS Word and study what He values.  We must sit at His feet and learn to see what He sees.
In God's view of things, worth is determined by a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT set of values.

Jesus said, "What is highly admired by people is revolting in God's sight" (Luke 16:15)

I need to learn to see things from God's point of view.   What about you?

"We do not focus on what is seen, but on what is unseen; for what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is ETERNAL." (2 Cor.4:18)

11 comments:

Kelley said...

I really liked reading that. It is so true. I really liked this part: "It's difficult to disregard the world's total disobedience and rebellion and instead, LIVE in God's kingdom. One way to do that is to recognize the rule this world plays by and then live by a DIFFERENT playbook!" I try to do this everyday. Not everyone does and it makes it hard. It is a wonderful lesson. I am trying to teach my 6th and 7th grade students this right now.

Anonymous said...

How true! Thank you for posting this today. It has touched my heart. Having two teenagers in my home is not always and easy task. They sometimes get caught up in this world and see what everyone else is doing. It's so hard to explain to them what Our Lord wants for us. I will share this with them.
Also, I would like to say thank you for coming over to my blog and commenting on Drake. You will never know how exicited I was when I saw that Kellys Mom had been so sweet to leave me a comment. I have followed Kelly from the start and shared many laughs, tears, and prayers for all of you. I must tell you that yall have one sweet baby there but Im sure you know that..smile. I did have a very bad day yesterday. My sweet puppy was hit by a car and I have just been besides myself. He was a gift to me from my husband 6 years ago. My heart is so broken.. I know he was just a dog but I just cant explain the love that I have for him.
My Mother lives in Lead Hill and I think that is pretty close to yall. The next time I go for a visit I would love to attend church with yall... Your family has been such a blessing to so many..thank you! Susie H~

Jacquie said...

That is good!!! We have to "live by a different play book". It feels most of the time like we're in a different "sport" altogether.

Jess :) said...

Judy,

You are sooooo incredibly sweet! It just brightened my Sunday to see such a wonderful comment from you.

You are MORE than WELCOME to use that button idea. Kel and Harper are, of course, your precious family! :)

I just have to tell you that I am so blessed to have Kelly, Scott and Harper in my life. They are just gems!! Thank you for raising Kelly with such a sweet heart! I just can't tell you enough about how much she means to me.

I'm so excited to be following your blog now and it will be fun to see pictures from both you and Kelly!

Thanks again for visiting my blog! Your comment is so special!

We've Got Scents said...

Thanks for sharing this with your readers. How very true, if we'll all live by HIS word, and HIS word alone.
Blessings to you today and everyday,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

MiMi said...

So true! I pray that I would learn to "sit at His feet and learn to see what He sees." I definitely want to see things from HIS point of view, rather than from the world's view.

Thank you for challenging me.

Linda said...

What a timely word. Thanks for sharing what you read in your devotion time. It is so easy to get trapped into what is seen.
Blessings,
Linda

Lauren said...

This really resonated with me and thank you for that... Can I adopt you Mrs. Judy???? haha :o)

Jenna said...

Judy, thank you so much for sharing this. I have come back to read it several times to re-read! It is all so true and something God is definitely teaching me as I travel through these years of figuring myself out in God's plan.

I just loved it! Thanks so much for all of your encouragement. We are all blessed to read your blog!

Anonymous said...

This is completely true! I just wanted to thank you for sharing it. We have been going through tough times with our family lately and we are tending to focus on the unseen rather than the seen.

I do have to say though, your granddaughter is PRECIOUS! We love watching Harper grow :)

becca said...

thanks for the suggestion!
and the great post!