Thursday, June 4, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday/Office Edition

This is Show Us Where You Live Friday at Kelly's Korner.

Today we are showing our offices.  This is one of my favorite rooms in my house because it is all mine!  I have my computer where I blog and keep up with all of you but I also have shelves and drawers for all my other interests.

I always wanted a book shelf just for my cookbooks.  I have more cookbooks than shelf space so I just dedicated a couple shelves totally for my FAVORITE cookbooks.
I love pitchers and teapots so I display a few of them here too.
I found these leather and linen boxes at Dillard's one year after Christmas for a great mark-down price and knew I could use them in my office.  I keep all my CDs here.  Also room on the shelf for a few more teapots!
I love keeping things in baskets and out-of-sight.  I found the square baskets at IKEA and they fit the space perfectly.  I keep computer paper and supplies in them.  And other stray items.
My office area has two big drawers that have hanging files where I keep all-occasion cards, files on the dogs, recipe files, medical files, bank statements, etc.
Most of the art work I have has been acquired on my travels.  I absolutely love the above watercolor that was an original done on the streets of Budapest, Hungary.  I watched the artist paint the bridge spanning between Buda and Pest.  You know they are two cities with the Danube River flowing down the middle!  Just beautiful.
Because I love teapots, I bought this postcard of porcelain teapots to frame from a museum in Romania.
Hanging on my wall is my picture with my friends in college from the University of Arkansas.
I was in the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority in the late 60's and early 70's. You really can't see me but I am the end of the fifth row.   I had shoulder- length straight hair  with a little flip on the edge in those days.

My office just happens to be what originally was suppose to be the laundry room off the kitchen.  We moved the laundry room next to the master bedroom and so the laundry room area became my office on one side and the pantry on the other.  Hubs built this pantry and it takes up the whole wall space opposite my desk area.
Here are three of my favorite books in my office.  First, is my old Broadman hymnal.  This is what I learned to play hymns in when I was very young and taking piano lessons.  I still love this old green hymnal.

The little cookbook, "Fun to Cookbook" is one my Mother got my sister and me to use from the Carnation Evaporated Milk company probably in the 1950's.   I think every recipe has evaporated milk in it!

The big white cookbook, The Joy of Cooking, was my hubby's  gift to me for our first anniversary on January 23, 1772.   I bet he thought then he was in for a lifetime of home cooking!  Seasons change........... moving on.........!
Here are some real old little cookbooks from my mother's collection of cookbooks.  I just couldn't get rid of these!
I try to keep this little spot to the right of my computer to see the missionaries for whom I pray.  Some are on the field in foreign lands, others are in home missions and one is a chaplain serving in Afghanistan.

I also have the picture of our little boy we support through Compassion International in Nicaragua.  My prayer is to see him in person on one of our trips to Nicaragua someday!
 
Also I keep scripture on notecards that I change every few days.  I usually just write scriptures that speak to me and that I need to hear and hide in my heart.
These pictures are my latest addition to my office and I imagine this is just a start!  Do you think I might run out of wall space before I run out of sweet pictures of our Harper??


Thanks for coming by and visiting my office!  You don't need an appointment to drop by my office......just drop me a comment!!

36 comments:

Heather said...

What a GREAT space!! I love it!! I love all the built in's, your husband did a great job and you are so organized!! I love the pictures of Harper that you have framed, too cute!! Love this space, wish I had and love your teapots too!

TriciaNae said...

Love your room. My aunt collects cookbooks too!! I love to read cookbooks...not so much on the actual cooking though.

tiarastantrums said...

gorgeous wall built in - I LOVE that and your pantry - amazing work there!

love your Mary englebrit teapot!

Meredith said...

Wow, Judy! I love your office! It is so very organized! Oh and my mom has that same cookbook from when she was little! It was her first cookbook! Love all the pictures of sweet Harper too.

Tammy said...

What a beautiful room! I love all the shelves, baskets, and teapots!! The pictures are just precious!

Angel S. said...

Great space! Organized, stream-lined, cute!

You and your husband look great for your age. (check out the wedding date!) JK

Thanks for sharing!

Angel S. said...

Oops - I meant first anniversary date! :>)

Zoe said...

Clicking over from Kelly's blog... love your office! All those drawers, shelves, baskets! I'm envious. :)
Thanks for the tour!

Kelley said...

I love your spacious office. I love the shelves and built ins. I collect pitchers. My parents have the Broadman Hymnal too.

Girl with the Curlz said...

I love your office!! The built in's are fabulous. I'm a basket girl so I love those cute baskets you have too. Adorable pictures of Harper.

Have a great weekend.

Linda

Love Being A Nonny said...

I LOVE your pantry!!

According to your post, you were married in 1771, since you said your first anniversary was 1772. WOW! You look great to have been married that long!!:)

From one Nonny to another

On the Eastern Journey said...

What a beautiful office! I wish I could get my hands on some of your cookbooks! Yum!

Lauren said...

I adore all of your built in's! Fabulous space ideas!

Leslee said...

Oh goodness! HOW NICE! I love it!

beckylbranch said...

I LOVE your office space...especially ALL the shelving oh my goodness that is wonderful to have! You have it decorated so nicely too (Martha Stewart style!) Love the room :)

The Garners said...

Your office is SUCH a neat space and so personalized--I love it!

I love the Harper pics framed and I love that the dogs have files in the drawer! :)

I've always thought your teapot collection was fun...I didn't realize it included pitchers, too. They're all cute!

Melissa said...

you have one fantastic office. i'm jealous! LOVE the fantastic harper photos.

Anonymous said...

You could ask Steve to change the pantry doors and then hang all your Harper pictures all over that wall!! Love, Laura M.

jenn said...

I love, love your office! Your built-ins are great! You did a great job decorating your shelves--I love your pitchers and teapots! such a bright and airy space!

MiMi said...

I still think that you and I could have very possibly been separated at birth -- we have so many things in common. Our love for cookbooks, teapots and pictures of our grandbabies --just to name a few!

What a beautiful office you have and thanks for letting us stop in without an appointment!

Jenna said...

the word love does not describe even begin to do justice to my feelings about your office! it would be my dream office if i were able to build one and i just love all of your personal touches, pictures (so sweet!), and books.

if i ever build a house, i am calling you to be my office designer. :-) have a great weekend, sweet judy!

Newlywed Next Door said...

You are so cute and organized! I love your shelves and collections. So fun! And the Harper wall is so cool too!

Heather said...

I LOVE your office! Your shelves look so cute and neat! I love seeing all those cookbooks, too!

Beverly Wooley said...

Kelly said something in one of her blog posts about what a great decorator her mom was. Boy, was she ever right!! Love your office and all it's wonderful organization, Judy.

Wanted to tease you about the 1772 typo but since others have mentioned it already, I'll just say it gave me a good chuckle. Some times it SEEMS that long, doesn't it? Tee Hee

Also, "Nonny," there's no question about it. You will DEFINITELY run out of wall space before you run out of pictures of Harper. As beautiful as she is and as talented a photographer as her mommy is - it's a given!

Anonymous said...

Cool office space! I love how organized you are--especially love the baskets for hiding lots of goodies. I also LOVE spaces I can call my very own, which is super hard to come by in my home. Ha!

I was a Theta in college, too. :o)

xo,

Shannon

Betsy said...

Oooooo...I LOVE your office! It is so you and that is what makes it so great. I love it when people incorporate their own personal interests and travels and pictures, etc. into their decorating!! You are super organized and those shelves are great!! Plus I love all your cookbooks. I collect cookbooks, too! I know you must love hanging out in your office.

Keely said...

I love your office space. It's my dream actually...trying to talk hubby into a quick kitchen remodel that would allow me something similar. It would be fabulous to have the space to be so organized! I love your "Harper Wall".

Leigh Ann said...

I just LOVE your house, and especially your office. It is SO nice. I would flip over that pantry, too! I am loving you new blog look. It is just so cute...just like you!

joyh82 said...

Wow what a space you have. I love pitchers, teapots and baskets too!

Ashley said...

I LOVE your office!! I am in school getting my degree in early childhood/elem education. And I have decided to get my Master's in Special Education.

The B's said...

I LOVE your office. One day I can hope to have one half as great! :)

Where did you guys go in Romania??? Our home church goes over there each year to do work at Emmanuel University.

Kelley said...

I love, love all of your organizing! We are truly kindred spirits. I also collect teapots. My favorite is called "Bunny Hop" with two bunnies dancing (their outstretched paws form the spout), and the funny part is that I saved up to buy it from a china shop when I was 8!

Julie said...

Love your office!! Love all the built-ins and storage. And I especially love the pictures of Harper!! :)

Courtney said...

Great space. I love all your shelves and baskets. I think you will run out of space for all those Harper pics!

Michelle said...

I love your office...it is lovely and inviting.

I didn't even post our office last week because honestly it is probably the most neglected room in our house. With two little ones there isn't much time to use it anyways.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful space !

Tara G. said...

I love it all, but I especially like the watercolor from Budapest. I picked up an original of the Chain Bridge, too, while we were there. We took a day trip out of the city and found a neat little shop where they made hand-made puppets- the cutest things I've ever seen; I wish I would have had room to buy more of them!