Friday, July 17, 2009

Children's Parties Long Ago


Today at Kelly's Korner it's all about children's birthday parties. This got me to looking back at some old pictures to see how we did it back in the "olden" days! You know when life was black and white!!

The picture above is "yours truly" on my first birthday sitting in a new wagon I got for my birthday. Or it could belong to my sister who was only 15 months older! Who knows?
If you look directly in front of me you will see the Lamb cake my mother made. Birthdays were strictly a family affair and you were lucky to have a cake!
As we got older we had girlfriends over for a party! This was my sister's birthday. That was me in the middle on the bottom step. I still email daily with the girl "lounging" to my left!! We went to kindergarten through high school together!

Kid's birthdays in the 70's were fairly simple: A few friends from church or the neighborhood, a few balloons, a cake, some presents and instant party!!


Some of Kelly's birthdays involved a sleep-over! That was always fun!
This was our son's third birthday. "Superman" was the theme.



Little boy birthday parties were about the same as little girl parties.....friends, food and presents!
This was Kelly's 13th birthday. Must have been before/after a ballgame seeing all those cheerleader uniforms!

Themes happened but they weren't really that important. Things have changed a lot since those days. Today parties are big business I guess. Kind of makes me glad my birthday party days are behind me!

18 comments:

O'Dell Family said...

I love your post about parties from the past. Life was so simple then. Surely, my mother never felt pressured to have the party of the year when we were so little! Ha! My little Summer turned two today and we had a party at home with just our little family of five! None of our family lives close by, so it is just us! What a sweet day it was too! Thank you for sharing!

Kelley said...

I love your post about the parties! It was wonderful seeing your birthday pictures and those of your children.

Becky said...

Things certainly have changed haven't they!!!! lol

Terri Steffes said...

That was a sweet post! My daughter and I both blog and I do the same thing... show her as my little girl!

Jenna said...

SO cute!!! I bet it was so fun growing up in ya'll's house!

Jacquie said...

I TOTALLY agree! Jodi and I talked about how simple our parties must seem to the Mom's nowadays.

Love your old photos! Precious.

Jennifer said...

I love the pictures! Now that Brody's first birthday will be here this fall, I'm wishing the days of simple parties were still around.:)

Heather said...

That last picture I can't tell which one is Kelly! But some of those others I think Harper is lookging just like her! These were fun to look at!

Rebekah said...

LOVE THESE FUN PICS!

Unknown said...

I love looking at all those pictures! (I also love your blog!)

Pastor Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Heather,

Kelly is the third girl from the left....DARK hair and glasses!

Kelly's Mom

Gram said...

Love the pictures especially the old black and whites. I always told my children that the world was black and white when I was a little girl and I had the pictures to prove it!

Meghan said...

I just turned 29 on Staurday and I miss those lamb cakes. My grandma always made me one!

Anonymous said...

I had to come right over with my excitement!!!! Im so proud of Kelly and Harper...Scott too. I had to smile a little cause we both know the truth...Our Lord is busy at work here. What a wonderful family He is using! I know from one Momma to another you must be beaming with pride and joy. To God be the glory...and Kelly is one sweet vessel. Im so blessed to be a small part in y'alls big world. {{hugs}} Susie H~

Leigh Ann said...

I wish we could go back to the simplicity of those 70's parties. They can be stressful now!

Beverly Wooley said...

Hey Judy - loved your post with birthday pictures from the past. Isn't it fun going through our old family pictures and reliving the moments through photos. What treasures!

Enjoyed the pictures of your Texas trip on Kelly's blog and reading how totally smitten your husband is with his granddaughter. Precious! Reminds me of how my daddy was with my children. Sweet memories.

We had a tragedy in our church family last week. You may have read about American Family Radio's J.J.Jasper's little 5 year old son being killed. J.J. and his family are members of our church. More precious people you'll never know! When I was praying for them, the Lord brought Steve's post "Not Why but Who" from when Harper was in NICU to my mind and gave me some words for a post based on his counsel. God continues to use Harper's legacy!

Panamamama said...

It's so true about kid's parties. I know I had one, maybe two "big" parties growing up with kids invited and party hats. Other than that it was family and a cake and you were happy! We started having huge ones with Emily, but I have managed to escape it the past year or two. I know Max will start asking for his big parties now...
Shell