Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Time Out



I haven't posted lately because I had so much to do to get ready to go on a little trip.  We go to  a pastor's conference each year (although we didn't go last year) in Florida.  We really look forward to going each year for many reasons.  Most of the pastors who come are really needing a renewal of sorts.  A recharging of their batteries, so to speak.  If you are the pastor, sometimes you need hear a sermon from someone else!  I love hearing different pastors preach all day and night !  And the music is just awesome!
So we are looking forward to getting to the conference the end of this week.

This year we decided to take a few days before the conference and take a little "side trip" to Savannah, Georgia.  We have always wanted to go there and it's just a few hours north of our destination in Florida.

I wanted to show you a few pictures of what we have spent looking at today!



We are staying in the historical district.  It is charming and full of parks, historical statues , homes and museums.




We toured the Owens-Thomas house today.  I was fascinated by the interiors of this 1800's house in the fact that the original house had wood painted in a faux marble finish on the baseboards.  Looked like the real thing!




The gardens, even in the middle of January, were just beautiful.  I can't imagine what it would look like in June!




Wouldn't you know Hubs and I would find historical churches interesting.  We have been in many very ornate churches in Nicaragua and Romania.  This was a Lutheran church which is open to the public daily.  It had the most beautiful doors ( I love doors) and of course, the stain glass was really something
to take in!






See, I told you I loved doors!  Aren't these just gorgeous?





There are so many interesting buildings to look at......I love the architecture of the "brownstone" look.
This picture shows the Spanish moss that hangs in nearly all the trees.   I think I have bought moss in a sack before....maybe it comes from Georgia!



We got the chance to eat at Paula Deen's Lady and Sons restaurant for lunch today.  We were told to go by in the morning to sign up to get a place for lunch.  We signed up and they told us to be there by 11:45.  We were given a card to take in and they sent us to the third floor.



The first thing the waiter brought us was a hoe(?) cake and the best biscuit I've ever had.  I had never had a hoe cake but I intend to look up the recipe when I get time.  It was delicious.  You pour a little syrup on it.  It was like a cornbread pancake!



Do you like the lacy doily on the table?  Thought it was a nice touch!  Hubs might have thought it was a little too"girly" but he really enjoyed the food!


Of course we had to stroll through the Paula Deen store after lunch.


All her kitchen tools,pots and pans were displayed very nicely.




This afternoon we drove out to Tybee Island to look around.  It was a little windy and chilly to really
enjoy the beach.  But it was beautiful!



This little seagull stood still for the longest time and I took numerous pictures of him.  Guess he gets use to the tourists!!

19 comments:

Grecia said...

Glad you are enjoying your trip. I LOL'd at your hoecake comments! My grandmother would fix hoecakes and white gravy for my sis and I for breakfast... delicious! Enjoy the rest of your trip. I'm sure you both are missing Miss Harper!

Lauren said...

I know you are not coming to Florida without seeing me. I'm only a couple of hours from Jacksonville!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this trip with us! Marc and I have talked about going there many times...maybe one day ;)
I dont think ya'll could have picked a better time to leave than now...ice on the way..ick ~ Enjoy Florida!

The Garners said...

What a neat trip! Sounds like a really fun day.

Marie said...

You sure picked a good time to head to Fla. with a ice/snow storm heading to your home state, Hope you don't get any more trees down around your beautiful home. Don't you just love your big porch? We have a wrap porch and nothing better than having a porch full of friends over to visit on a warm breezy summer day,
I like the beach photo, looks like our beach (Atlantic Beach NC) in the Winter (no people) just sea gulls !!

Nancy said...

How fun! I want to go there sometime! Looks like you are having a great time! I bet that food was sooo good!

Nina said...

Oh I so badly want to go to The Lady & Sons restaurant. :) I've heard her speak of hoe cakes, but wasn't sure what they were either. Yummy! They sound delicious.

Sara Campbell said...

Looks like you all had a super time! Nice to see when I am looking at 6 inches of snow!

Patty said...

I loved taking the tour of Savannah! What gorgeous pictures! I loved the stained glass window. I have wanted to visit for a long time and to eat at Paula's restaurant. I will remember the tip of going in the morning to get a ticket for lunch.

Enjoy your trip and it came at a great time with the snow and ice coming. :)

Blessings,
Patty

Love Being A Nonny said...

Oh, I love Savannah!!! I guess you missed the conference last year because of your precious Harper. Look at the difference a year makes! You are blessed. Have a wonderful time of renewal! From One Nonny to another!

Kelley said...

How fun! My parents, husband and I like to spend an overnight in Savannah on the way to Sea Island each summer and we always have the best time! If you go again, make sure to go to Mrs. Wilkes for lunch and Leopold's for ice cream! (L&S, however, is a one-time must if you are a Paula fan.) We also like to discover the churches and squares of this gorgeous city. I hope that your conference fills your heart with restorative joy!

Alex and Lyndsey said...

my husband surprised me and took me to Savannah for our honeymoon. I LOVE that area of the US! We went up and down the coast. So much fun! Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!-- Lyndsey www.thisgrandlife.com

Melissa's Thoughts said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I want to go to the Lady and Sons so badly and will one day. I love Hoe Cakes and have the recipe if you would like it. It's Paula's.

Cecelia---Sis---Mom said...

What a wonderful stop over for you all. I miss Georgia, we were stationed there from '96-'04. We spent many weekends in Savannah and on Tybee Island. Beautiful and so refreshing.

Hope the remainder of your trip is safe and peaceful.

Sissy

kimberly t. bowling said...

Those doors are GORGEOUS! Enjoyed seeing all the pics, thanks for sharing.

Brenda Sessions said...

Ohhhh, I would love to see the sites in Savannah. Maybe someday. And so glad to hear that you and Pastor are having a great time. Enjoy~

sanjeet said...

Enjoy the rest of your trip. I'm sure you both are missing Miss Harper!

Work from home India

Donna said...

So glad you are enjoying your trip to my "neck of the woods". I'm about 2 hrs. west from Savannah in Macon. Did you know Paula rents her beach house on Tybee Island! I would love to stay there. A friend is getting married on the beach near the lighthouse in June. Tybee is called the redneck riviera by us "locals". Have a wonderful trip home. Hope you miss the bad weather at your house.
Keeping you in my heart in Ga.
Donna

The B's said...

HOpe you are enjoying your trip and your time of renewal at the pastor's conference. I think you heard "my" pastor preach last night - Ted Traylor. He is a great man of God. I love when we get to go "home" and go to church! :)