Thursday, May 13, 2010

Finally, the BEST!

If anyone would ask me what my favorite dessert was I would say "hot apple pie" without too much
hesitation.  But my very favorite treat would be chocolate chip cookies.

Neighbor's Mill in Harrison makes the very finest chocolate chunk cookie I have ever tasted!  I almost always try to convince Hubs to pull in there anytime we go through the area to get our favorite bread, a 9-grain bread called Woodstock and of course, a chocolate chunk cookie!   The bread is all natural and so delicious that it is like eating a dessert!


For years now I have been looking for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I am real particular.  I love them to be soft and chewy, not crunchy.....and soft for several days.(if they should last so long!)

My friend, Brenda, always made the best soft chewy cookies but I never remembered to get her recipe!

I finally found the BEST recipe!!  The cookie is called "The Chewy" and it is great so I thought I would share the recipe with you in case you, like me, had never found just the right one!


THE CHEWY


2 sticks unsalted butter (Yes, use real butter! I only had "salted" and it didn't matter)
2 1/4 cups BREAD flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg YOLK
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips/ chunks


Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave. Sift together ( I don't sift) the flour, salt and baking soda
in another bowl and set aside.


Add the sugar and brown sugar into the melted butter.  Cream the butter and sugars together.

Add the egg, the egg yolk, 2 Tablespoons milk, vanilla extract and mix.

Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until throughly combined.
Stir in chocolate chips or chunks.

Chill the dough.

Using an ice-cream scoop, make small scoops on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake for 11-14 minutes, checking often till you get the brown you want.

Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.





20 comments:

Sarah Sharp said...

THANK YOU for this!!! I have been searching for a great cc cookie recipe, too and they never turn out right. I had recently given up and thought I'll just buy premade dough from now on but I will give these a shot. BTW if you are ever near a Sweet Pepper's Deli, you should try their Royal Supreme cookie. Choc chips, macadamia nuts and coconut. Yummy!

Jessica Bene said...

YUM! Thanks for sharing. That is exactly how we like cookies, so I am hoping I make them correctly, lol. Jessy

Jacquie said...

YUM for Woodstock - that's our FAVORITE!! I love it toasted too!!

I can never bake very good cookies. Those sound good. You've GOT to try Jodi's Monster Cookie recipe, too!!

NeverEnoughTime said...

I LOVE chewy Choc chip cookies!!! they won't last long around here, my 5 kids devour all the yummies very fast, but with summer coming up and our daily trips to the pool, this might be a hit!!! Can't wait to try them out...Thanks

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

These look good. I too, like a chewy cookie. A friend had also told me to use bread flour when making cookies and they would not flatten out so much. I see your recipe calls for bread flour. I want to give these a try. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

The B's said...

YAY!!!! I've been looking for a recipe like that too. THANK YOU!!! Can't wait to make them!!!

Kelley said...

Thanks so much for the recipe. I love chocolate chip cookies.

The Riedel Family - Confessions of a Marine Wife said...

After reading your post, I just had to comment! My mother's best childhood friend owns the Neighbor's Mill in Harrison. It is my favorite place and I always have to stop by when I am home visiting. I always get their salad sampler with a chocolate-banana muffin! THE BEST! And the oatmeal raisin cookies are soooo good!! Love it! I also am with you on the chocolate chip cookies. I searched forever for the perfect one. I found a recipe based on the famous Levain Bakery ones in NYC. They are by far my favorite ones! Here is the link, you should definitely try them. http://www.sugoodsweets.com/blog/2006/04/levain/?preview=true#comment-42552 I bake mine at the 375 for 18 minutes too. They are thick, but oh so soft and chewy. Their heavenly!

Panamamama said...

I use some baby oat cereal in my cookies to make them chewy. You just substitute some for part of the flour. Nothing better than a hot chocolate chip cookie! :)

Love Being A Nonny said...

I'm going to print this out. Always looking for a great cookie recipe!

April said...

That recipe sounds so DE-LISH, Judy! For some reason, my chocolate chip cookies NEVER turn out. Mom always had a knack for baking "perfect" cookies, but I certainly didn't inherit that ability from her. Thanks for passing this along!:)

Lauren said...

You speak my language. How about I come over to the great state of AR and have you bake me some of those! Deal? Ha! :)

Gabriella said...

Sounds wonderful! If cookies last long enough to get hard - place a slice of bread in with them. They will soften up.

Rebekah said...

I love love love the Neighbors Mill! We have been begging our friends to open in Fayeetville!

Heather said...

OH, Lord have mercy on my hips now!! :) There are lots of great desserts out there, but nothing beats a great Chocolate Chip Cookie!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

sanjeet said...

Thanks for sharing. That is exactly how we like cookies, so I am hoping I make them correctly, lol
post free classifieds

Lee Ann said...

Growing up my grandma made PERFECT chocolate chip cookies! When she made them she would put them in the same container in the same corner of the kitchen counter. After school we would ride the bus to her house and eat them with red kool-aid.
In her later years she began using break and bake dough but would still occasionally still make them homemade.
Since she has passed away I have found myself craving cookies like those. My mom says she just used the recipe off of the chocolate chip bag with a little less flour. I've tried it but no cookies will ever beat my mamaw's!

Sharmin said...

I have a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe that uses pudding, and it's so soft and chewy and they stay soft. So good!

sara burrell said...

yum ~~ i'll have to try these!! judy, if you'd like another fabulous recipe, i'll email it to you: along w/ the flour, you use 2 1/2 cups of quick oats (pulsed in a processor) and not only choc. chips, but also a large hershey milk chocolate bar, "hand-chunked".
seriously. you can tell a difference between that a the chocolate chunks in a bag. and since there're oats in the recipe, don't you think it could be considered breakfast?!! :)
hugs from north georgia

sara burrell said...

p.s.
you can tell the difference between the hershey bar and the bagged chunks