Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dogs, Drugs and Desserts

Poor Buddy. He got a bath and a trip to the vet today!  Somedays it just doesn't pay to get up!

Buddy suffers from blindness and congestive heart failure.  And he can hardly hear. Bless his heart.


These are the new drugs he is on as of today.  Some are taken three times a day.  I think I will have to get one of those little plastic pill sorters for all his medicine.  So five medications and $238 later, he should be feeling better in a couple of days!!


I bought a little carton of strawberries last week at the grocery store because they called my name as I strolled by.  I looked at them today and I think they were beginning to look like someone's science project so I decided to do something delicious FAST!


I took one pie crust and cut out little circles and lightly dusted them with sugar and baked them until they were lightly browned.



I love this biscuit cutter.  It belong to my mother and she cut out about a million biscuits in her day.  No telling how old this biscuit cutter is but I wouldn't trade it for anything.



After these are cooled off, stack them up with strawberries in between for a really quick shortcake!




Then I decided that peaches would be good too, so I just happen to have these in my refrigerator.....




I keep these so I can just have a quick bite of fruit when I want it.  One of those little cups make a great breakfast or snack.


There you have it.......................peach shortcake!


FYI.........Yes, I ate BOTH of the shortcakes (culinary research, you know)!! And they were both delicious! 


But never fear, this is all I had for supper:  fresh picked green beans and "new" potatoes from  sweet people in my church's garden!!  YUM! That should balance out the two desserts, right?


15 comments:

Heather said...

YUM!!! I love strawberries! And I am so sorry about Buddy. What a sweet little guy. Every time we take our dogs to the vet for anything...we never get out of there for less that 300 dollars. It is CRAZY!!! But we do it because we love them so much!

Laurie said...

Your sweet treats look good! I feel so sorry for Buddy!

Jess :) said...

Poor Buddy. Hopefully those meds make him feel much better.

And those shortcakes...YUMM-O! I'd love to come down for some dessert with you. :) Plus, I'm definitely going to have to go with a big YES to the fact that your green bean/new potato dinner cancelled out both desserts!!!!

Not to mention, cooks ALWAYS have to try their creations to make sure they are 'safe' to serve to others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :) ;)

Patty said...

The desserts look so good! I have that same biscuit cutter, it made me smile to see we have the same one. Mine is very old, passed on from my grandmother and mother. I still use it to cut out my biscuits and wouldn't trade it for anything!

Have a wonderful weekend!

The Garners said...

Poor Buddy :( Get well soon!

Your desserts look delicious! Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorites. It's a seasonal dessert offered at Trio's here, and I'm always so excited to get to order it!

Jacquie said...

POOR, POOR Buddy! I just ordered a new pill sorter for Charlsie tonight... I shoulda got you one at the same time. Ha!!

Those desserts look so fresh and yummy!!

Dina said...

It doesn't really count as dessert, because it's FRUIT! So you were actually being extra healthy by having two. Way to go!

Kelley said...

I love the treats. I like the garden foods too. Those are the best!

Melissa said...

Love the idea of cutting out pie crusts for little mini shortcakes! If you like peaches, have you tried Chick-fil-A's new peach milkshakes? I think they're made with fresh peaches. Yum!

Lauren said...

Poor sweet Buddy!!! Hope he gets to feeling better!! Oh the money we fork out for our furry friends!!

Those treats look absolutely delish and soo simple!!! :)

Melissa's Thoughts said...

YUMMY!! it all looks good.

Michelle said...

Your post title makes me giggle - sounds like a movie title of canine addicts. ;) And the dessert part I could definitely relate to. HA!

Hope your four legged friend gets well soon ... and you keep sharing wonderful desserts! :)

Anonymous said...

Poor sweet Buddy. We have a family dog (my Dads) here and she is about in the same shape as Buddy. I think we would walk to the ends of the Earth for her...true love~
Enjoy Mr Hubs...I know he will be looking for a good ol home cooked meal soon.I follow him on twitter and I felt so bad for him when it came to super time. Susie~

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Peach shortcake sounds wonderful to me....and looks so good

Tara G. said...

Oh, that's good- "culinary research!"