Saturday, July 24, 2010

Summer Camp.....Ah, the Memories.....

The kids in our church just returned Friday from summer camp.  I've heard nothing but good reports!
I know many memories are made each year that the kids attend camp.  I went as a counselor for about twenty-two years straight but chose to go this year to MFuge instead.

I remember when we were in seminary in Ft. Worth, Texas, when our son went to his first camp. Probably RA camp.   My children were around nine and six years old.  I found a couple of pictures of them at this age.




This last picture was made on the seminary campus in the fall.

I found a letter from Kelly addressed to Chris while he was attending camp.  I noticed she had quite the older sister advice for him!  I thought it was funny!  



In case you can't read the small print.........

Chris,
Hi! How are you.  I'm fine. Did you get cabin 3A?  Is Gambrell Street (another church) in Cabin 3B?
How do you like camp food so far?  Have you gone swimming?  Is it fun?

Do you have a top bunk?  Is it near Michael Ollar?  Did Garrett Greggory go? Who are your counselors? Are they nice?  I hope you are having a fun time.  I miss you.

Are the Garretts and Brother Charlie there at Chapel? Or is it someone different? 
We got our VCR Monday.  Mom says that when you come back we can get a tape.

Have you seen any Scorpians yet? Tell all your friends NOT to leave any crumbs on the floor.
Tell everyone that is with you that I said HI!  (Except Teddy Smelser!!!!!!!!!!)

Please be careful if you can watch where you are going when you walk through the grass.
I miss you a whole lot!  Have fun!

Also when we were at Mam-ma and Pap-pa's hotel room, I watched "The Never-ending Story" for the 
3rd time.

                                                                 Your sister,
                                                                     Kelly Martin
P.S. ( See you on Friday)




Aahhhhhhhhh, how's that for sisterly love for her little brother!!!

15 comments:

The Garners said...

That is GREAT !! Kelly has always been a sweet letter-writer! She sure had lots of questions and good advice for Chris. :) I laughed about the VCR part too!

Kimberly said...

oh that was a sweet letter from Kelly. I love the part tell everyone hello except Teddy!! :>)

Love Being A Nonny said...

I love how she signed her LAST name! Like he might not know who she was! CUTE!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

That is great...I remember those camps and those letters....you must save everything..Jack is headed to Waco this next week with a group going to camp at Baylor

Mary said...

Hi i came over from kellys blog...i've been reading yours but have never commented.. i thought that was such a sweet letter! and i had to laugh at the VCR part :)
-Mary

Jacquie said...

That's my kind of memorabilia!!! And hilarious!!! I hope you came through on getting that VCR tape... those kids were worked up over it. Ha!!

Sisters said...

That is hilarious. I love the "We got a VCR..." part...so funny.
AJL

Kelley said...

That is so cute! I remember writing letters to my brother and changing colors of ink on the page too, Ha! I always had a lot of questions for him too. I love that she signed her last name. I remember our first VCR also. That is a scream. It made me think about a time my dad won something at a office Christmas party. He told my mom that he couldn't believe he won something like that. They would never use it. Any guesses. A microwave. (I was 5 years old.)

Father's Grace Ministries said...

Brings back memories of our family's excitement over our first VCR- How times have changed!!!

Claire

Lauren said...

Awww, too sweet!!!! :)

Kelly said...

Oh brother. :-)

Polly said...

I love that letter! Reminds me of my daughter.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What an adorable letter. And I still can't get used to seeing pictures of Kelly with dark hair. I loved camp as a child. Love & blessings from NC!

Sarah said...

That is so sweet! It's exactly what I would write too-all those questions and do's and don'ts! ;)

Unknown said...

How sweet, I remember going to GA camp every summer followed by trips to Ridgecrest with my youth group! Were y'all at Southwestern Seminary? My parents met there!