Monday, September 6, 2010

"LABOR" Day

I always hear, usually on TV, about how people should be planning their big picnics, cook-outs, family-gatherings on Labor Day.

We don't do much to celebrate Labor Day around our house.  We usually do yard-work-catch-up like hubby did today!  I did sort-of redecorate my living room, haphazardly as best, today.  I got tired of looking at my spring/summer pillows, flowers and other decorations and drug out my fall pillows and a few other mid-season things.  Didn't go the whole route with the leaves, etc. I will wait for October!  I love fall decorations....my very favorite....even more than Christmas!  

So I decided after supper tonight that we should do "something" to make us feel like it was a holiday so Hubs and I took Skipper (who had a glorious bath today) on a late evening walk up at the state park just north of our home.  We enjoyed the views and seeing the campers from Texas, California, Missouri and Nevada, just to name a view.  We have had beautiful weather the past few days with the temperatures in the 50's early in the morning but it was in the 90's by late afternoon today.

But it is much cooler down by the river!  Enjoy our walk with the beautiful views!

This is the Gaston's Visitors Center at the edge of the road over the Bull Shoals Dam.













So did you "LABOR" today or play?  Or both?

13 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

i guess we did a bit of both. though my labor didn't amount to much. paying bills, a load of laundry and changing sheets. i felt positively carefree without having to do school.

Miranda said...

I'm glad ya'll had a nice Labor Day! ;-) We didn't do much of anything today either.. My husband is away on a work trip so it was just me and my little guy.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I worked around my house all weekend getting my upstairs packed up in anticipation of our new floors that we will be getting soon. I must have walked my legs off taking boxes downstairs to store them in our dining room. I should have gotten lots of exercise! It was a busy weekend doing that, but it will all be worth it when our upstairs is finished and back in order. In the process I am cleaning out and scaling down on things in each room. Love & blessings from NC!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Howie also did some catch up work in the yard today. He worked and the rest of us were lazy! Bless his heart. The views on your walk were beautiful.

Gina said...

Spent the weekend in NW Arkansas visiting our college daughter and other family.
I spent the day--like you--trying to figure out how to un-summertime my house but not yet ready to bring out the pumpkins!

Melissa said...

We don't do a lot of "celebrating" for Labor Day either. Yard work this morning, then a little swimming this afternoon and dinner with some friends. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one itching to put out some fall decor!

Mallory said...

You live in such a beautiful area. We always call that "God's Country" when we visit down there from West Plains...Gaston's is SO good, too!

Angie said...

How wonderful to live close to such a beautiful place. I'm glad you celebrated a little. It was not a holiday here (actually today is - Mozambican Victory Day - the day they gained independence from Portugal) so my husband did his normal Monday work. Today we'll celebrate by doing nothing. And by sleeping late......didn't get out of bed until almost 10:00 a.m.!

Nancy said...

We spent the afternoon slaving over our garage. It felt so good to get it cleaned up!! My hubby hunts, so I figured we better get it done before the season begins :)

Lauren said...

Soooooo pretty!!!! :)

beckylbranch said...

I was so thankful to have Labor Day off to spend with family! Just looking at these pictures makes me miss Arkansas so much! You'll have to show us all your fall decorations! I love it too-I picked up some "Autumn" scented wallflowers at Bath and Body so atleast my house SMELLS like fall :)

Michelle said...

Mostly "labor" because we played all day Saturday and Sunday! We did get some MUCH needed cleaning done though. The lake pics were very pretty...makes me excited about camping in the beginning of October!

Sharmin said...

We didn't do much, Logan woke up at 12:30 am sick to his stomach. It took us a while to clean up the floor and change his bed (thank goodness we put wood floors in his bedroom) so we just lazed around all day.