Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Poppy Seed Dressing Circa 1957

Yesterday on Kelly's Korner she mentioned that she likes fruit with poppy seed dressing.  Several comments mentioned Helen Corbett's poppy seed dressing as one of the best ever.

So I just happen to have the Helen Corbett cookbook with the recipe and thought I would post it for all who would like the original recipe circa 1957.


To those who don't know who Helen Corbett is : She was the former director of the Neiman -Marcus Restaurants.  She wrote this cookbook based on her experience when she worked at the Neimans in Dallas.

She was sort of like the "Martha Stewart" of the 50's!



Here is the recipe: Make it and enjoy...much better than the bottle stuff in your grocery store!


POPPY-SEED DRESSING  ( 3 1/2  cups)



1 1/2  cups sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup vinegar
3 Tablespoon Onion Juice
2 cups salad oil (never use olive oil) (I use Wesson)
3 tablespoons poppy seeds

Mix sugar, mustard, salt and vinegar.  Add onion juice and stir in throughly.  Add oil slowly, beating constantly, can continue to beat until thick.  Add poppy seeds and beat for a few minutes.  Store in a cool  place or the refrigerator, but not near the freezing coil.

To quote Helen:  "It is better and easier to make with an electric mixer or blender, using medium speed, but if your endurance is good you may make it by hand with a rotary beater.  The onion juice is obtained by grating a large white onion on the find side of a grater, or putting in an electric blender, then straining. (Prepare to weep in either case)

If the dressing separates, pour off the clear part and start all over, adding the poppy seed mixture slowly, but it will not separate unless it becomes too cold or too hot.  

It is delicious on fruit salads of any kind!"




Maybe this would be good with your Fourth of July picnic fruit.

I had quite a day today.  Our lab, Bobber, had to go to the vet for some thyroid/skin problems and $206 dollars later, I think he is going to be much better!

I also went to the church to do our annual flower arranging for the Fourth week-end.  I forgot to get a picture of the arrangement we did for the front of the church but here is the one on the foyer table.


And this is the little verse I framed under the flowers:



Have a wonderful holiday this week-end, be thankful for living in a free country and may God bless America and may we be a blessing to God!


7 comments:

The Garners said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe. Yum!

Have a great holiday.

Sisters said...

My great-grandmother used this recipe and passed it down. I love it! Nothing tastes this good!! I found onion juice in the store a few years ago, wonder if they still have it?!

Nancy said...

That cookbook is so neat looking!

Kelley said...

Thank you for the recipe! Love your arrangement and that is a perfect verse!

jenn said...

sounds sooo yummy! I may have to try it and I will be looking for onion juice as well...

Oh, and I love how your hubs is now a follower!! ;-)

pamk said...

Your flower arrangement with the Bible verse is beautiful!

Martha said...

I just made poppy seed dressing.. different recipe and I think I would like to try yours. I am planning to make my own dressings from now on.. I have some health issues and I need to know what is in my food! One question though.. where do you get onion juice?

I'm so impressed with your family.. love to read Kelly's blog and see the pics. I'm heading down to Nashville later this week to see my 3 month old grandbaby! So excited!

Martha
http://martha-theothermartha.blogspot.com/