Friday, July 15, 2011

Great Expectations

The trip to Children's Hospital yesterday was filled with great expectations.  I am just so thankful that Harper was diagnosed as early as possible and there are people out there trained to equip parents with information needed to help their children with hearing loss.

I have always had the attitude of while I really hated this for Harper and for her parents, God is always in control of the situation and we are nothing but thankful for what He has provided already!

This is just a minor thing compared to the suffering so many parents go through with sick children.  And we realize that....especially after seeing all the children at the hospital.

I didn't make any pictures because I had charge of Hollis and this room was so small you could barely move around.  I stole these from Papa's camera!


I just want to say that "Mrs. Jan" our audiologist was the best!!  What a sweet, kind, and patient lady she was!  She worked with Harper for nearly three hours and we just love and appreciate her explaining everything and working so lovingly with Harper!  Harper loves her!


So now the world has changed for all our family and we will all adapt to whatever that change brings. Hopefully, Harper will warm up to the idea of wearing her "special ears " but you know it will take some time for a 2 1/2 yr. old!

Please pray for Kelly and Scott!  They need patience and strength!

I also wanted to ask you to pray for a little boy named Austin who was in Children's Hospital yesterday having heart surgery.  His grandfather and I met last year when I went on a mission trip to New Mexico and I found out through him that his wife read mine and Kelly's blogs!  

They live in Louisiana and I got to meet her yesterday while her grandson was having his surgery.
So, Teresa, Jack, Greg and Dana, we hope Austin is doing well.  We are praying for his quick recovery!


This was the sweet one that I got to keep most of the time while her Sissy and Momma were with the audiologist!  She got so mad at one point 'cause it had been a long time since breakfast and Nonny couldn't do a thing about that so we had to take a little "snack break" and get Mom to feed her!

We were so completely worn out by the time we left the hospital yesterday but so thankful we were able to be there to help in some small way.

Kelly, Hubs and I all teared up when Harper got her aids in and she and  Mrs. Jan sang "Jesus Loves Me, This I Know" together.  It was too sweet!

14 comments:

Kelley said...

That is so precious! I am so glad everything went well! What a special audiologist! Both grand babies are beautiful!

Melanie Keffer said...

Dear Judy and Family:

My daughter suffered a partial hearing loss from meningitis when she was 7 years old. Her ears are severely scarred on the inside and even at that age, it affected her speech. (So being able to take care of a hearing loss at 2-1/2 is good.)

I am writing to tell all of you that my daughter with the hearing loss in her left ear has the most tremendous singing voice and is in the process of transferring to a well-known music conservatory to further her opera studies.

I share that as encouragement that nothing stops God. Who would think a young lady who lost a significant part of her hearing could have perfect pitch like she does and sing like she does? But God had a plan for her all the time!

You can be sure your precious granddaughter's hearing loss will NEVER hinder God's will for her! (I have a feeling you know that already.)

God bless all of you-

A Sister in Christ,
Melanie Keffer

His Doorkeeper said...

Melanie, You are so precious! Thank you so much for the wonderful encouragement! We know with God holding her hand, there is nothing He can't do through her! We trust Him!

Hope everything is well with you and your family in Mississippi!

Nancy said...

I know that made Kelly so happy that you both were there with her!
That makes me want to cry reading that she & the audiologist sang together. God knows just who to put together & He is in every detail. It constantly amazes me!!
Precious pictures as always!!

Jacquie Wallace said...

This is a precious post, Judy.

Rebecca said...

Judy,
I too was like Melanie's daughter, I was one of the very few born with perfect pitch, sang like a bird all my life and even was offered a full voice scholarship when I was in the 9th grade!! But God had a different plan and that year I was rendered surgically deaf in my left ear with some loss in the right from previous surgeries. I will never forget how stunned I was when my dr told me what had happened in surgery! I found out that my pitch and singing voice WAS NOT ALTERED and that was a definite miracle from God. Through it all I learned to trust Him so much more and be thankful for the fact that I did have some hearing and could still sing HIS PRAISES! Instead of going the voice route in college, I chose sociology and child development. Used it all to raise 2 precious children and teach hundreds of children in all ages of choirs throughout the years!
When I read that Harper sang, I wept, she is going to be just fine! I know it!
Continuing to pray for her adjustment to the special ears and for smooth transition for her into full out hearing mode! It can be overwhelming but with time she will be great!
Have a great weekend!
Rebecca Lingerfelt

Richella Parham said...

Judy, this brought tears to my eyes. I can just imagine Harper's singing "Jesus Loves Me" with her audiologist. What a blessing for her to be able to hear better!

Being at a children's hospital really DOES make you thankful for God's goodness, doesn't it? Every time we're at Duke, even when we've been there for open-heart surgery (3 times now!), I've come away with the feeling that we have so much to be grateful for.

Hope your summer is going well!

Sharmin said...

What a sweet day, even if it did involve ACH. It won't be long and Harper will realize how much she can hear with her special ears. Some of Austin's friends are identical twins, Caty Jo was born with a defect in her left ear (she has no cocclea). This summer she got a hearing aid to boost her hearing in her right ear. She said, "Hearing aids make me sound old." I told her not to call it a hearing aid, call it a "digital hearing device". She laughed and said, "yeah, makes me sound like a spy."

Erin said...

I will be praying for Harper and Scott and Kelly. I'm glad that everything went well.

Linda said...

Judy...Melanie's comment was so beautiful. I agree that nothing can alter God's will for Harper. She is so special...and so loved by Him.

I know it must have been such a long day for all of you. But I thank God that you had such a sweet audiologist.

That was just so precious that she and Harper sang "Jesus Loves Me" together. That pretty much sums it up! Jesus does love Harper...She is precious to Him!

And she has become so special to all of us over the past 2 years..just as Kelly, Scott, and Hollis have. And I love you too and your dear Pastor husband!

I think God has placed us all together so that we can pray for one another. And also for others.

I was praying for Austin too. I follow Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend. I was praying hard for her husband Jack during his stroke. And it is just so wonderful to see God at work answering all of our prayers isn't it?

I am glad that you all got to meet each other at the hospital. God is so AMAZING!

Well my friend, I will close this...but I want to remind you that God is in control...and He will be there with Harper every step of the way. And also with Kelly and with you all.

{{Hugs}} and special prayers,
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Candis Berge said...

I saw the darling video of Harper with the audiologist leading her in "Jesus loves me." It was just precious. God is good, isn't He? So glad Harper could get her hearing aids so soon! She'll do great after she gets used to them..

Donna said...

Just saw Pastor Steve's video of Harper and her "special ears". What a precious video! I could hear sniffling on the soundtrack and sniffling on my end, too. Harper is just so precious. I know it is going to be difficult for her to understand that the hearing aids will help her. It is hard work just being 2 yrs, old. And then add figuring out a hearing aid...oh, brother. She is so smart, that she will " get it" soon. That little Hollis is so laid back and sweet. I know you loved taking care of her. I'm so glad you got to help Kelly at the Dr.s office. What a blessing you are to her and the girls.
Keeping you in my heart in Ga.
Donna

Susan said...

I followed your link from a comment you had left on another blog, and am so thankful God lead me to you. I will be praying for sweet little Hollis & her parents (and grandparents). God provided a special audiologist for her. I'm reminded in Psalms that we are "fearfully & wonderfully made" by our Creator who knows every detail of our bodies & souls. I look forward to reading more about your precious grandchildren! Hope your family has a blessed week.

The Pannells said...

Hi Judy! I have been following your blog and Kelly's as well for a few months now...you both are such inspirations through your faith and joy! I have a question I wanted to ask you about...I noticed you were a retired special education teacher. I teach also (right now I have pre-k.) Do you have any helpful hints or tips on ways to balance being a mother and a teacher? I often look to other women of faith for ideas on this...being a mother is of course the most wonderful job ever, but I enjoy teaching too (and my mother keeps our babies at our house each day, so it's not too hard to leave them! :) Just any thoughts you can share are appreciated. Hope you are having a great week! -Katie Pannell