Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Year's Eve "Party"

I haven't written a new post this "year" so I thought I might share with you how our new year's eve was spent!


We got up early and Hubs was so excited to spend the morning in his shop with a project he been trying to put together for months!

He went down to his shop to get a fire started in his wood stove to heat up the area so he could get started on a wonderful all-day "shop" day!  His idea of a real fun day!  Bless his heart!

I was still working on putting away Christmas decorations (finally finished today....you'll understand why as I go along) and was in the garage working.  I didn't hear Hubs come in the door until I came back in the house and hear him hollaring from our bedroom.  He was saying something about "orange juice" which is usually the signal that he is having a sugar low and needs some juice quickly.

However, by the time I got back to our bedroom he was violently shaking, foaming at the mouth and fell flat in the floor, hitting the armoire in our room and was OUT!  I had never seen him like that and I was in full panic mode. I couldn't put anything in his mouth because I was afraid he might choke.  I have never called "911" in my life and I was shaking and crying so much I barely could use my phone.

Two very nice men from our local fire department showed up first.  Of course, they couldn't do anything but help me wait for the ambulance.  I'll have to back up and say that while I was talking to the 911 lady, it dawned on me that men were coming to our house and we would probably make a trip to the hospital and I wasn't dressed! (well, I did have on my PJs but certainly not ready to go out the door!)   I quickly threw on some clothes, socks and shoes before they got there.  It reminded me why I should get up EVERY morning and get myself dressed 'cause you never know what you will be doing!!

Before long( it seems like a long time to me but probably only 15-20 mins) the ambulance showed up and the paramedics took over!  Thank you, Linda and Philip, wherever you are!  I was so happy to see you!





So they loaded Hubs up and off to the hospital they go!  Don't ask me why I took a picture! Just figured Hubs would never remember this and I take pictures of everything so I don't forget!!

We got to the hospital ER around 9:30 a.m. and stayed till around 2:30 p.m. when they put him in a room.  He had tests but nothing really showed up but the ER doctor didn't want to let him go until they did blood test every 6 hours and look for markers for heart problems.  He did have a stent put in last year.  Let me add all the staff in the ER and the hospital were just wonderful!  So very helpful!

So we ended up staying from Saturday morning till Monday evening!  On a holiday week-end, trust me, the hospital is like a mortuary!  Too quiet but you still get no real rest!

Finally, the cardiologist came in (after we had waited all day to see him) and said they could do a procedure on him the next day if he wanted it.  Hubs declined the kind invitation to stay over yet another night and have something done that he didn't feel warranted.

It was good to be home!  Hubs is fine and has a follow-up appointment with his local doctor in another week.

That was last Saturday.  Today he was in his shop doing what he loves to do and I am so thankful to the Lord for taking care of him!  In the meantime, I have been to the hospital everyday this week except Thursday visiting with church members who were having surgery or test.  The hospital and I are close friends!!



You can always look around and see those who are in much worse pain than you are.  We pray for so many who have serious illness right now.  And there seems to be so many lately!

Reminds me of a good verse to remember in times of trouble:  2 Corinthians 4:17-18
" For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes NOT on what is seen, but on what is UNseen.  For what is seen is TEMPORARY, but what is unseen is ETERNAL! "

I thought this was funny in the paper today!

32 comments:

Kimberley said...

oh my goodness, i would have been so scared!! i'm afraid i would make the situation worse.

so happy to hear he's well!! thank you lord!!

and i will admit, i chuckled at you taking his picture on the gurney :)

Love Being A Nonny said...

Oh my word, what a scare! Glad that didn't happen when Harper was there....though she probably would have loved the ambulance! love and prayers from, The other Nonny

Kayla said...

What a ride! So glad he's feeling better. My grandpa was diabetic and those episodes are incredibly scary. His were always on the high side (he LOVED his sweets) so luckily I never had to see anything quite that scary.

P.S. Kale and I would DIE for that shop! I could get all kinds of projects done in there!

Happy 2012 to y'all. Praying the beginning was just a little speed bump and the year gets MUCH better for y'all!

The Garners said...

That had to have been a very scary experience! I'm SO thankful he's doing much better. I'm sorry y'all had to spend the holiday in the hospital, and I pray that you have a very healthy 2012 from this point forward!!

(I have to admit though that I almost laughed when I saw that you'd taken a picture of the ambulance and rescue team at your house. I would have probably done the same thing, but it was kind of funny to think of you standing on the steps with your camera at that moment! :) When I cut my fingers on Christmas Day the second thing I thought of--after "do I have to get stitches?" was "I'd better take a picture for the blog!" :)

Nancy said...

Bless you both! That is so scary! I am so thankful for all of you that he is ok! I know we never like to see our strong husband's sick.

Patty Sumner said...

I am so sorry to hear all of this and during a holiday but happy everything worked out. I just had to show my husband the pic of your husbands shop....wow! Happy belated New Year!

Jessica Kramasz said...

Oh my - what a way to start off the year! I'm glad to hear he is ok.

Jen S. said...

Hi there! So glad to hear your husband is ok....what an absolute scare!!

Thinking of you and wishing you both the very best. :)

Maryellen said...

So thankful your hubby is okay and back to his shop. Gave me pause to think on the lounging around in the PJ's though HAH

Jo said...

I'm happy to hear your hsb is doing ok. What a scare!

Kelley said...

Oh My Word! So glad you both are ok. How scary! So glad to hear that he is better! Hopefully the doctors can get to the bottom of it.

Toni :O) said...

How scary! Glad he's better!! My dad and my hubby were jealous of his shop-so cool!

Mallorie said...

Oh my gosh, I would have been SO SCARED!!! And I have to admit...I would've put on clothes as well!!! I am SO glad that he is okay! Praying for you guys :-)

Cathy's World said...

I am so happy to hear that he is feeling better. I watched my dad go through the lows that are diabetes.
I was in the Er last night with my mom as her 02 is low. i just got back from visiting her. If I can ask for you to pray that she makes a full recovery.
Thank you and I hope 2012 will fill you and your family with much health, happiness and love.

The Anglin Family said...

Im so glad he's home and all is well!! I prayed for y'all after I saw the news on Twitter last weekend:-)
I took pictures once after a rescue boat and ambulance rescued my hubby and oldest after an accidental swim in Lake ouachita:) Memories!

Melanie Keffer said...

Judy, I just cannot believe, and continue to be amazed, at how much we have in common.

I am with you all the way on God's protection and care. My husband is also a diabetic. I have experienced that more than a few times. The last time the doctor looked at us in the emergency room and said, "Mr. Keffer, I am telling you low sugar will kill you, graveyard dead." Had never had a doctor tell us that before. They could not find my husband's body temperature and it was because it had dropped so low, nothing was registering it!

You think God was not taking care of that man?!?!? We were in our second year of a lay-off, had no insurance and not a whole lot of money - which, of course was not what was important. The doctor looked at us and said, "Don't worry about the money."

All I can ever say, as I know you say, is "Thank you Lord!" God is so good to us.

Also, you may know this, but there is a little glucose deally (What a word - ha!) that you can get by prescription where you inject someone who is diabetic who has a sugar drop like that. It's not a syringe, but a little pre-measured dosage thing you get by prescription. I was thrilled when the doctor told us about it because I have had a very hard time getting my husband to drink orange juice or anything when he starts into one of those sugar drops. Most of the time he catches it himself, but if he doesn't and it drops too fast he has the severe body temperature drops and gets very incoherent.

God bless all of you. So glad Hubs has a shop to enjoy. My husband loves getting out in his garage to do leather work. Very happy to see these men get to enjoy themselves like that.

God bless you all!

Melanie Keffer
Olive Branch, MS

P. S. I laughed about the pictures. No doubt, a reflex action like you said.

Melanie Keffer said...

Oh yes, and forgot to mention, I've done the same exact thing about the pajamas. I can remember thinking . . . "Oh, no. The paramedics can't come now, I'm not dressed!" Ha. Aren't we women funny? My husband would say afterwards, "And who cares what you have on?"

Melanie Keffer

Anonymous said...

Im so glad your hubby is feeling better,i take lots of pictures myself, my hubby hates my camera sometimes, he never knows when he is going to be on candid camera! lol

Pam said...

I can't imagine how scary that was for you. Am so thankful your Hubs is doing great and back working in his shop. Don't give up puttering in your pjs tho.

Pam B

Joannah said...

Very frightening! I hope you get some answers soon. It's so good to know that we are in the Lord's hands even when crises arise.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, not a way to spend the holidays but glad he is fine!

Blessings,

Amy

Island Baby said...

Go to the grocery store cake mix aisle and pick up a small tube of that cake decorating gel. You know the kind that you write "happy birthday" on a cake with. next time that happens , simply squirt some under his tongue where the sugar will be rapidly absorbed and help him quickly. The gel will not make him choke like a liquid juice. I'm a nurse and we tell all our diabetic patients and family members to carry that tiny tube on them at all times. Easy to put in a purse or car glove compartment. It seems you live far from a hospital since they took so long to get to you. Next time you can do something for him while waiting for ambulance to arrive. Those precious minutes are so valuable when it comes down to saving a life. God bless. So glad the outcome was good!

Her Preppiness said...

Thank goodness all is well.

Anonymous said...

How scary! I'm glad to hear he is better. Do you have any tubes of icing in the house? You can place some on your finger and rub it on the inside of his mouth (cheek) and the sugar would be absorbed through the mucus membranes

Candis Berge said...

Oh my. I am so sorry about that scary episode! How glad I was to read things are okay now. I am aware that life can take a new direction in a split second - how glad I am that I can trust God for my every breath. (And those around me as well!) And I just have to say: I will not be posting a picture of my hubs shop after seeing how NEAT your hubs shop is!

Beverly Wooley said...

OMGoodness, Judy. That had to be MEGA scary for you! SOOO glad Steve is okay!!

Erin said...

I am so glad he is okay! That must have been so scary for you!

I like the little cartoon :0)

Linda said...

Oh my goodness Judy...that must have been so stressful! I am glad your husband is doing better.

The comments about the icing/gel is good to know. My brother is diabetic now...I may get some of that just in case.

Glad you came through the crisis with the Lord's help. He never leaves us nor forsakes us!

God is good all the time.

Allison said...

That must have been so scary for you! I'm so glad he is ok now though! I immediately started praying for yall when Kelly tweeted that he had a seizure. What a way to start the new year!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Judy, I'm so happy that your dear hubby is fine now. I'm a diabetic so can grasp what he was going through when he called out for orange juice. Maybe he should keep some Lifesavers or something similar in his pocket. Thank God this turned out okay.

jenn said...

Oh Judy, How did you keep it together? I probably wouldn't have remembered to get dressed. Bless both of your hearts!! I'm glad he is feeling better!

i hope the rest of the year isn't quite as bumpy!

Prayers and Blessings!

elliebelle said...

I am so glad all is well, what a frightening experience! I always pop in from Kelly's blog and am just always touched by what I read... thanks so much for the scripture you shared at the end of this post, it brings peace to my heart.