Monday, February 13, 2012

The Nursery : Before and After

Last week was a really busy week. Months ago our church voted to remodel the nursery at our church.  It has been ten years since we moved into our "new" church and the nursery seems drab and out-of-date.

I had been looking at some fabric for curtains and found this that I just loved!


I thought it had a clean, modern look and I loved the cool calming colors....a good thing in a nursery!

Just so happens, my bloggy friend in Louisiana, Susie Harris had several yards of the same material which she donated to our little project for the church!  Thank you Susie!

Becky Sanders, a good friend and long-time church member who sews beautifully, made our "faux" Roman shades and several pillows for the new gliders!
Many thanks to her for her time and effort!




Another sweet young woman who grew up in our church, Jamie Hopper Garnerlaneandjamie.blogspot.com is an awesome artist.  She took a swatch of our fabric and painted a picture to be the focal point of the nursery.  She painted on it the verse from 1 Samuel, " I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I ask of Him."  The picture is just perfect, Jamie, and we thank you so much not only for the painting but for your great talent and generosity!



Most of the manual labor was done by Hubs!  I painted the walls but he did pretty much everything else!
He said I bit off more than he could chew!!  A two-day job turned into a 3-day job and there is still things that need to be done!


He put up wainscotting with a chair rail.  I love that...it looks so nice!



These are the BEFORE pictures.......






And here are the AFTER pictures.......


















Still some work to be done on a bookshelf and a few other odds and ends, but all in all, a much brighter space for our sweet babies!



Tomorrow is Valentine's Day!  These are the cupcakes I made for our little 4-5 year olds on Wednesday nights!

Prayer request: My sweet mother-in-law fell and broke her hip this past week-end.  She had surgery on Friday and is in a lot of pain.  Hubs left yesterday to be with her while she is in the hospital.  Please, if you know the Lord, will you ask Him to be with her at this time?

29 comments:

Nancy said...

Praying for your mother-in-law!!!
What a beautiful job you & hubs & all involved did on the precious nursery. It looks absolutely wonderful!

Sara said...

The nursery looks wonderful! Prayers going up for you mother in law. Praying for a swift recovery with no pain.

Maryellen said...

Oh Judy the nursey looks wonderful. I love the color choices. Your hubby sure is handy and talented.

Will keep your sweet mother-in-law in prayer.

Kayla said...

you all did a FABULOUS job in the nursery!! looks SOOO good! :)

Praying for your sweet MIL!

Cheryl said...

The nursery looks amazing! As a mom of little ones, I always appreciate a church who has a nice place for the babies.
What is the paint color? I love that shade of blue.

Jessica Kramasz said...

The nursery looks great!
I will be praying.

Anonymous said...

Oh Judy, the Nursery turned out beautiful! The babies and Mama's are going to love it!

Sorry to hear about your MIL.

Seriously Though said...

The nursery looks so pleasant and homey. Glad to see your hubs working after that ambulance scarey thing

The Garners said...

I love how the nursery turned out! The crisp white wainscoting looks so neat!!! I can't wait to peek in and see it in person next time we're home.

Praying for your sweet Mother-in-Law.

Kelley said...

I am praying for your mother-in-law. I think the nursery looks beautiful! I love the fabric, colors, pillows, and artwork.

Sisters said...

What a pretty nursery! I will lift your mil up in my prayers tonight.

The Petty's said...

I will pray for you mil and family. Also, the nursery looks so clean and sharp. It just invites you to come on in. I love the picture.

Joyce
Beecher City, IL.

Robin said...

I LOVE the sign. I wouldn't mind having something like that for my dining room (that is done is blue and birds) with a different verse. The fabric is beautiful!!

I will pray for your mother-in-law. Broken hips in older folks is hard stuff. I will pray for her pain to cease quickly and for her to be protected from infection as she heals.

Kodi said...

It looks so pretty! I think churches often don't realize how much mamas appreciate a nice, clean, safe nursery. :)

Mallory said...

It looks so calming and clean! Perfect job! I love the fabric and picture too!

Melanie Keffer said...

Yes, we will add your mother-in-law to our prayers.

I love what all of you are doing to the nursery. Very pretty, and you are right, much more modern! There is a time to update, isn't there? :)

Melanie Keffer
Olive Branch, MS

redpoppy007@aol.com said...

How bright and cheerful your nursery is. I love it.
I really love the picture and would love one like it.

Anonymous said...

That nursery transformation is amazing! If you need a money making project, you could rent Hubs out! Prayers for your M-I-L. Maybe she needs a different pain med?

Faith said...

This looks SO good! Y'all did a fabulous job. Love it all!

Anonymous said...

The nursery looks lovely. What a lot of work for you and your wonderful husband. Prayers for your MIL.

Dina said...

That nursery looks great! You did such a good job designing it.

jenn said...

Praying for your mother-in-law!!

LOVE the nursery! You and hubs did a great job!!!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Mrs. Judy it is just beautiful!!! Your church has some very sweet ladies with lots of talent. I love how it turned out. Hope to visit one day soon. Hugs to you~

Candis Berge said...

I remember the early years attending a small country church with 3 active little boys and no church nursery. I remember hubby saying "wasn't the Pastor good today" on the way home and I thought "he preached? who knew?" as I was busy with books, cheerios.. so I LOVE your church nursery and know so many young moms will be soo blessed! (hope your mother-in-law is well tonight.)

easternjourney.com said...

What a beautiful nursery. I'm so glad that Jamie was able to make a painting for it.

Erin said...

Looks wonderful!!! Great job!

Sarah said...

I love it!! I've been wanting to redo the nursery at my church for a while now (we're in a new for us building). I've become the Person In Charge of the nursery so I can't wait to do it! :)

R said...

You made that bedding!? I need to hire you should I ever find Prince CharmingEnough and have kids.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog through Kelly! I just love the fabric. Can you tell me what the pattern is and where you got it? I'm redoing my bedroom and want to use similar colors and would love to have some curtains made. The nursery looks great!