Monday, September 24, 2012

A Lame Update

Thought I would give a little update on my "lame" foot.  It has been three weeks ago tomorrow that I had surgery.


I went back last week and had the original bandage removed.  They also removed my stitches. I have to admit that "smarted" a bit!

This is not for the faint of heart but this is what my foot looked like. I made a picture of it while the doctor went out of the room ( so he wouldn't think I was crazy!)  I thought this might be of interest in case anyone out there is debating on this kind of surgery!


I had a small plate and a pin put in my big toe.  I will definitely have a nice scar the rest of my life! That is something I don't care about as long as my foot works and I can walk without pain!

They re-wrapped my foot and gave me a choice of the color of the bandage. I chose bright green so cars will be able to see me at night when I go running down the road!  (Sorry, a little "lame" humor)  I WISH I could run down the road!!

So here is the current look:
I was so blessed by getting to go back to church this past Sunday!  I put on my 
Big Black Boot and walked on my heel.  I graduated from a walker to one crutch when I wear my boot.  The only trouble I am having now is that my ankle swells when I walk on my heel for any length of time.  Then I am back to the ice pack!


I did get a new little bench to put on my front porch so I can spend some time outdoors since I can't get down the steps of my house yet.  




And guess who my closest companion has been since I have been confined to the house???

My loyal lab, Bobber!



19 comments:

Kodi said...

Hang in there Miss Judy. I know that for an active lady like you it has to be very hard to be stuck in bed so much. I'll try to remember this when I'm wishing my 1 & 2 year olds would let me sit down for a minute. ;)

Candis Berge said...

It's so nice to see you back at your blog again. You have been missed. (I have not been keeping my blog up as much now since facebook...) Your foot surgery looks like a serious thing and the bench on the front porch looks perfect for taking time to recover... if I lived near you, I'd come visit and bring tea!

Donna said...

Bless Bobber's heart. What a sweetie!So glad you were able to get out of the house. I bet you feel like you were let out of jail. LOL Did the Dr. not have Razorback Red in his bandage selection?? He should.Take care and keep us updated on your lame foot.

Kimberley said...

hope you are back on both your feet soon!! praying it heals smoothly. love the bench!

Norma said...

Glad you are doing better..I love your bench. I have been wanting one just like that in black for my porch. Can I ask where you found it?

emily said...

I've missed your updates! Glad your recovery is going well. I love the green wrap too! :)

His Doorkeeper said...

Norma, to answer your question:
google Grandin Road and then click on their "outdoor furniture". This bench comes in red, black and white.

housemover said...

Been reading you blog for a couple of years. My mother-in-law had the same surgery last winter and I hate to tell you this by it took her about 6 months before she could walk without alot of pain. I had to have rotator cuff surgery the end of July and am 9 weeks out and the recovery is very slow for that also. Have to do physical therapy 3 times a week plus exercises at home. It is really hard for me to ask for help, but am learning you have to do it in order to get healthy again. You do have a very pretty bench to sit on now and enjoy the fall weather, hopefully the fall weather is more enjoyable that the summer weather was. Take care and happy healing!!!

Terri Grothe said...

hang in there, wont be to much longer now.
love the green btw

Nancy said...

Get well, so soon!

Maryellen said...

Oh so sweet, nothing like our doggies . . . I know he is enjoying having you stay put. hah

Hoping you are back on both feet soon.

Ashley said...

I don't think you are weird for taking a picture (and, honestly, I don't think the doc would think you are weird either)! When I had my colostomy, I took all kinds of pictures of my stoma (sometimes, it was when I thought there was some kind of problem and wanted to send an image to the nurse, but other times, I wanted to keep a record for myself and to share with others who may have to go through the similar experience). However, I do fear that someday a picture of Mr. Brixby (my stoma) will pop up on one of our computers and scare our guests! *haha*

Jenn said...

Love your heart! I need to have this surgery done on both of my feet, but keep putting it off. My feet don't hurt until the change of seasons and I switch from different types of shoes.
Will you have your other foot done as well?

Kelley said...

I know this is a difficult surgery! I am praying that they pain is subsiding and that it will heal correctly! I pray you will be back to doing the things you enjoy very soon.

Anonymous said...

Labs are the best! No better companion or friend. Did you have bunion surgery?

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Who would ever imagine that foot surgery could be so painful. My MIL will not have her other foot done because she had so much trouble and pain. Mine only hurts once in a while so no surgery any time soon for me. God willing. I LOVE your bench!! Did your Mr. Sweetie build it for you? I love that pop of red. Hope you are getting better every day!

Jennifer said...

I love your bench! Hope you heal quickly! Your comment on Kelly's blog made me laugh about her turning out okay. That's what my mom always tells me too with all these crazy ideas of mothering these days. It's enough to drive a Mama crazy.

Kel-Bell said...

Glad you are on the mend! Hang in there! Thinking of you! Love your new porch bench! xoxo

Gina said...

Judy, I had the same surgery 3 years ago. The recovery was a lot longer than I expected! I hate to report but I'm still in a lot of pain with some swelling and limited on the shoes I can wear. Good luck and take it slow!

I've so enjoyed reading your blog! Glad to see you are back!

gina