Thursday, January 3, 2013

Just Moving Things Around

I have always loved to rearrange furniture.  I can remember doing it when I was very young at my home.  When I was first married and very young(and still strong), I would move the furniture so much that when Hubs would come home from work he might think he was in the wrong house.

But the last few years have been different.  I just don't have the strength (or the "want to" if the truth be known) to surprise Hubs with a completely rearranged house when he gets home.  Now I have to wait for him to help me!

After Christmas it took me days to take down my decorations.  I didn't have that much but I had many short diversions to focus on elsewhere.  Then I got it in my mind it was high time to move a few pieces just to make things interesting.

So here are the results.  I forgot to take "Before" shots but here's what I did.

I had these two big club chairs in my living room and we really never sat on them.  I have a bay window in my kitchen and we kept a small table and chairs there but never really use them.  We eat all our meals on our island.  We also have a TV built in the cabinets where we watch the morning and evening news.
We don't have a TV in the living room.  So I decided to move the table upstairs to our bonus room over the garage and put the club chairs in the kitchen where we could actually sit down comfortably and read or watch the news!



Now my living room is more open to the kitchen and the rooms feel much larger.


Then I took the chairs that went with the table in the kitchen and moved them in my dining room and moved some of those wooden dining chairs upstairs.
Not sure how this looks to you but I like the parsons chairs in the dining room!




I also found a new mirror that I had been looking for for many months.
I'm not sure I will leave it on top of my mantel but for right now, I think I like it!





In my bedroom is a matching bay window like the one in the kitchen.  I have a small loveseat in that bay window where I sit every morning and read my Bible, write my list of prayer concerns, read my Beth Moore devotions and also read my Jesus Calling daily.

I keep so many little books and two Bibles on that little couch that often there is no place to sit.


So I decided, in the spirit of re-organization, to make what I call my "Bread Basket" to sit by my little loveseat.  


Now I can read my "daily bread" and have it all together!


I want to show you one more thing!  Look what I found when I was putting Christmas decorations back in boxes in the garage.


These "Sesame Street" figurines were in my children's rooms when they were really small.  I have never been able to part with them because they remind of such special and fun years.

They are in pretty good shape considering how old they are.  Wish I could say the same about myself!!







17 comments:

Cherry said...

Dear Judy, I've never commented before... but LIKE your idea of a "bread basket"! What a GREAT idea and name for it!!! By the way, I live in Jacksonville, FL and enjoy reading about your visits here for the pastors' conferences! Cherry

Unknown said...

Love the idea of a "bread basket".

Erin and Ryan said...

I love to rearrange furniture! It's a way to make a room feel fresh, without buying all new furniture :) Also, LOVE the chairs in the kitchen area - that's one of my favorite things...something I'm going to consider :)

Pam said...

So enjoy your posts. I have some Sesame Street finger puppets from my kids and now my grandchildren play with them. It's fun to see grandchldren enjoy what your children did.

Sisters said...

Your home is beautiful, Judy. I adore the parsons chairs in your dining room. I have 2 in mine also and love the mix. I think I will have to make a daily bread basket also...I love that idea!
And yes, Harper and Henry need to meet sometime this year!!

Dina said...

I love all the decorative changes! I move stuff around all the time! Have you ever heard of Mover Men? They are round plastic discs that you can put under the feet or legs of your furniture and then you can push heavy things easily. And it doesn't hurt your floors.

I am sure you have done enough moving for now, but they would be good in the future if you ever want to surprise your husband!

And I really love the bread basket idea. I am enjoying Jesus Calling also. I keep buying it for gifts, because I think it's so great!

Candis Berge said...

Oh, such a handsome home; looks so inviting! What time is the coffee on? And I am the daughter of a woman who changes her furniture ALL the time. She is 95 and STILL pushing her couch around just because she loves changing things! She can't get over the fact that once I put things in their place... that is usually where they will stay. ha ha. And I also have 2 baskets of books: one is children's books, one is cookbooks. I love the "bread basket" thought.. Ah, so thankful for our daily bread. Every breath we take is from God's hand! "in Him, we live and move and have our being..."

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Looks fantastic

Kelley said...

I love how your have decorated your home. So beautiful! I love the idea of the bread basket. I want to do this and share the idea with my Mom.

Kathy said...

I love how you switched up the furniture especially the two comfy chairs in the bay window. Makes perfect sense and looks really good.

Tamaramdam said...

Judy, I love all the changes you've made and I think your house is beautiful. I especially love the built-in shelves around your fireplace, which I have noticed in pictures before, but never commented. Love your blog! Tami in NV

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Loved seeing your changes and think you did an excellent job. Isn't it fun to "repurpose" items? The Bread Basket is a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

Tracy said...

Beautiful home! Love the bread basket. :)

Carrie Martin said...

Looks great Judy! Love the new arrangement and your new mirror!
Love, Carrie

Jennifer said...

Your home is just gorgeous! I love the chairs in the kitchen. So inviting. Makes me want to come on over for a cup of tea and some girl talk. Bread basket idea is so fabulous too. I spend too much time locating my materials before I can even get busy on my special time.

Cathy's World said...

Hi Judy, My name is Cathy. I have never commented before but I read your blog all the time. I also read Kelly's blog
I love your home. I think the simple changes are the best ones. I like to do that often. It keeps things fresh.

I was wondering if you could please tell me where you purchased the pillows on your club chairs? I just purchased some curtains in that same print. I think that a couple of them would look so cute in my living room.


The mover men that Dina is talking about are the greatest.

Have a very blessed weekend,
Cathy. :)

gayle said...

love your rooms and the fresh uses they have!