Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Home Going Anniversary

Today is the second anniversary of my Mother's death. I have thought of her all day and still, like I mentioned about my Daddy, I can hardly believe she's gone. It is so weird to be my age and feel like an orphan sometimes. You just can't believe how much influence your parents continue to have in your life...even when you get much older!

Mother was the model of the Proverbs 31 woman. She cooked(from scratch), cleaned, ironed (all our clothes were 100% cotton....everything had to be ironed), made all our clothes till we were in college, took us twice a week to piano lessons, Girls Scouts, and we were in church everytime the door was open. Mostly she loved us and prayed daily for us......all our lives!
One of her greatest joys came from her two grandchildren. She cooked their favorite foods and made them clothes too!

The picture above was the day she flew home after coming down to Dallas and helping me with new baby Kelly. I'll always remember the age of the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport because it had just opened when Kelly was born.
Here she is in her beautiful dress standing proudly next to Kelly and her other grandparents.I am so glad she was still alive for Kelly's wedding and sorry she won't be there for my son's wedding this summer.

I miss her very much but I wouldn't bring her back because now she is sitting at the feet of Jesus and who would want to ever leave such an awesome place for this old world? God was just so good to us to let us have her for a mother. We were blessed!

10 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

your comment made me chuckle. i know you must be an arkansas baptist if you are coming over with a casserole!

The Garners said...

This is so precious. What a wonderful lady!

Jessica said...

She is a beautiful woman! You can tell she took a lot of pride in her appearance. Praise the Lord he saw fit to give you such an outstanding woman of faith! You are so right though- she is at the feet of her maker. There is no happier, more content place to be! Someday you will be with her again. What a happy moment that will be! : )

Kelly said...

Thanks for writing such a sweet reminder of Mam-Ma!

Anonymous said...

What a servant! I'd love to cook some of her from scratch recipes!

Guy and Julie said...

She left such a legacy! I have heard Kelly talk about her so many times. How precious to have left such an impact in your lives'!

Leigh Ann said...

I love this post. It made me tear up! I love that picture of her at Kelly's wedding. She looks so pretty and sweet. It sounds like you in deed were very blessed to have her as your mother. I don't think we ever outgrow needing our parents or the values they taught us. How wonderful knowing she's in Heaven.

Lisa Sherrill Roach said...

What a fabulous gift to have such a wonderful Christian woman as your mother. Not everyone is as lucky as us to have that in our life. This post touched my heart. Thank you for sharing.

Sarah said...

Such a beautiful tribute. My mother's mother passed away last April, and I think this holiday season of "firsts" was hard on her. But we tried to remember that it may our first Christmas without her, but Grandma isn't sad at all! She was AT the party this year!

Tamara said...

What a blessing to have such a godly legacy left behind by your sweet Mom. Her faithfulness is evident in you and your daughter!