Tuesday, January 29, 2008

How I Met My Husband

Judy over at Gracious Southern Living tagged me to tell how I met my husband. So if you've got a few minutes to kill and aren't too hard to entertain, this is the blog for you!

First, let me say, I was not looking for a husband at college. I had been very hurt over a boy I had gone with all through high school and part of college. So I knew I was one of those who would never find true love and certainly never marry. But I did date alot of guys. I just like being around them...never serious about any of them. Until I met Steve!

It was my junior year and I had a roommate who knew Steve but I hadn't met him. My roomie had another friend who was VERY interested in Steve. She would talk about him constantly. One night I remember she came over to our dorm and ask my roomie and me to go riding around with her to look for Steve. Apparently we weren't studying too hard or we were looking for a diversion, so off we went, riding around campus looking for Steve. We finally made contact with him at a local hamburger spot. I remember looking at him and he looked at me.....very interesting......

He was a political science major and very smart. I was struggling with a government class I was taking so he offered to tutor me for a big test coming up. Well, we got together to study and we ended up talking for 3 hours straight. After that, I remember seeing him more frequently on campus. He would walk by me on my way to a class and then I would just happen to run into him again after class. I learned, years later, he would run to walk pass me "by accident" and then "just happen" to be walking by again after class! So funny!

Well, I decided to go to summer school after my junior year and just so happen, Steve did too!
We were inseparable by then....but still only as friends. We spent the summer walking, talking and playing tennis. He was so smart and mature , much more than any boy I had been around.

So I guess we were pretty much a pair by the end of summer. After that first kiss, I knew that it was possible to love again and I had met THE ONE! We dated all our Senior year, got engaged in the spring and he went off to the military (remember Viet Nam was still going) and I went off to Big D to teach school. We married in January of the next year and the rest is history!

I still kindof feel bad about the friend of my roomie who had this huge crush on Steve. She was the one who was looking for him and I was the one who found him!! She went on to be a lawyer so hubby might have made a huge mistake......you'd have to ask him!

10 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad you wrote this - I don't think I really knew this story. I just knew you met in college.

Jessica said...

I think your love story is so sweet! I love it!

The Garners said...

I loved reading this! I like hearing how God's stories unfold in relationships!

Leigh Ann said...

How sweet. I love how Steve "ran" to walk by you! How precious!

Amy said...

God does have a way of putting us w/ the "one" he has chosen for us. I would say that he would say that you are his catch as well!

Amy said...

Be sure and check my blog tomorrow for a little bloggy award for you!

Sharmin said...

What a great story, and Steve even had dark hair!

Hillary said...

I love your story!!!!!!!

Elizabeth said...

What a precious story! Thank you so much for sharing it with your readers. God is good and had a great plan for you all along. Thanks also for your sweet comments. You're so kind, and I hope you enjoy yourself in Florida!!! I've heard it's a great time!

Caroline said...

What a great story! I am so glad that you shared.