Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tribute to a Daddy

Today is my father's birthday. He would have been 92 . His birthdate is engraved in my heart forever as is his life. Even though he has been gone for nearly six years, it's as if I still can't believe he's gone. He was the sweetest Daddy a girl could ever have ask for. He loved his two girls. My earliest memories were of him sitting in the floor with me teaching me to tie my shoes. He built snowmen in the winter just to see the joy in our faces! This picture is with his only grandchildren, my son and daughter. He delighted in them!

He was a hard worker.....he delivered the city mail for nearly 30 years, walking all over town all day long. This was in the days of no little delivery trucks. He knew everyone in town. He loved people, loved to talk and knew the mayor in town as well as the Mexican stockboy at the local grocery store. And they all knew him!

He was always in "our corner". We could have probably gotten away with murder because Daddy was not much of a disciplinary;he believed in alot of grace! I believe that came from life experience because, you see, he served more than two years in a German prison camp in World War II. Life to him was precious. And he was precious to us! I love you Daddy and I know you and Mother are having a great day in Heaven!!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I miss pap-pa so much!

Leigh Ann said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful, sweet Daddy. Thanks for sharing his story! What sweet memories!

The Garners said...

Thank you for sharing this about your dear father. He always had the sweetest, cutest smile on his face!

MaryLu said...

I too miss my wonderful Dad. Thanks for sharing your tribute to him on his birthday.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this story. It was such a beautiful tribute.