Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Friend is a friend forever......

Last night one of my oldest friends called me and we talked for almost two hours. In fact, when my hubby heard it was her calling, he said to me..."See you tomorrow..." In other words, he knows how we just take up where we left off the last time we talked and could talk all night!!

I grew up with her and she lived just a block from me. Her family was like my second family. I knew all her aunts, uncles and cousins. Her younger sister and my older sister and I played together, pulling Ginny dolls down the sidewalk in cars handmade by us using old shoeboxes.
We went to the movies together, the library to check-out books for the summer library club, drank cherry cokes and ice cream cones from the local drugstore and generally just had a wonderful childhood together. Life was so good when we were young!

When we were in the fourth grade, my friend's mother had another baby girl. I was so excited you would have thought she was my new little sister. So then we had a baby to play with and how we enjoyed watching her grow up!

The old black and white picture above is our little Girl Scout troop out on a field trip. I am the second from the left (with my head turned) and my best friend, Cathey, is next to me. Although our leader has passed on, I still see everyone else in the picture frequently. The girl in the black shorts went to kindergarten with me and e-mails me everyday!



This is Cathey and her husband Bo when they were young and just had two children. They also have another daughter.
This is Cathey and Bo at the wedding of their daughter. Aren't they a very handsome couple?
They met when we were in college. Cathey was my roommate in college too!
This is their family a few years ago. They are a wonderful family and have many grandchildren too! They are blessed beyond measure!

Here's Cathey and me at our 40 year high school class reunion(can that EVEN be possible??)
The Bible says in Proverbs 17:17 that "a friend loves at all times" and I have to say "AMEN" to the wonderful friend I have had in Cathey all these years.

Do you have a long time friend?

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I love that you and Cathey are still such good friends!

Leigh Ann said...

I love this post! I am still really close to my high school (even some grade school) friends. I love going through all stages of life with them...from playing Barbies with them at recess to watching our children play together. It's just so much fun! I REALLY love that picture of you and your friends from a while back. So cute! I know they have to feel equally blessed by your friendship!

The Garners said...

This is so neat! I'm very blessed to have such great girlfriends. We're going to the beach next week with two of my sweet friends from college (Holly & Heather--the Texas girls). It's crazy to me to think about us all meeting at the beach with our kids...it doesn't seem like long ago at all that we'd study together, go to Subway together (because none of us liked the cafeteria), go to movies in Hot Springs, etc. (that was 13 years ago!) Now we're blessed to see our children play together! I treasure all of my friendships...God had been good to give me many precious, Christian friends!

Melissa Stover said...

thank you for your prayers and sweet words. it means a lot.

MiMi said...

Thanks for sharing about your long time friend, Cathey! I am blessed to still be very close with one of my high school friends - although she still lives in GA and I live in NC. We are planning to see each other again hopefully later this month. Girlfriends are the best!

The best mirror is an old friend.
-- George Herbert