Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Strawberry Fields Forever.....


When I was just a little girl, summer was ceremoniously started by going and picking strawberries in a field in a nearby town. We would come home and hull and wash strawberries and my mother would freeze them so we could enjoy them the rest of the year.

Of course, that also meant she would make strawberry cake or a shortcake also. To me, there is not a more beautiful, delicious fruit than a strawberry! I wanted to share this recipe for a delicious strawberry cake! And bring on summer!!


Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake

1 (18.25-oz.) box white cake mix
1 (3oz.) box strawberry jello
1 (10 oz.) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed
and pureed
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 2 round 9" pans.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix and jello. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water;
beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake
for 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Spread Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting (see below) and garnish with sliced fresh strawberries.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

1/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
7 cups confectioners' sugar

In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup strawberry puree, reserving remaining for another use. Beat in extract. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.

For a pinker frosting , add 2-3 drops of red food coloring to frosting.

8 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

My mouth is officially watering. I am definitely trying this recipe! It looks delicious!

Kelly said...

I love strawberries too! I will have to make that some time!!! YUM!

Meredith said...

My parents are coming over to visit this weekend and I am thinking of baking that DELISH looking cake! YUMMY! I got Paula Deen mag the other day! Isn't it great!

Caroline said...

i am printing this off right now!!!!! YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!

Laurie said...

I think it would be a lot of fun to pick strawberries. That cake looks so good.

The Garners said...

Strawberries are probably my favorite fruit! I'm so glad it's the season for them! Thank you for sharing the recipe--I'll try it soon!

Unknown said...

i found your blog after i recently started reading your daughter's blog. I immediately decided that this recipe sounded oh so yummy - so i made it for Memorial day - and yummmmmm! everyone loved it! thanks so much - it was delicious and so moist - i will surely make it again!

Heather said...

That cake looks SOOO good! Thanks for visiting my blog on the "tour of favorite rooms!" Come back any time!