Monday, August 25, 2008

Books of Yesteryear

When my children were small, they had many books. We were constantly buying books! We always felt strongly about having our kids read and started reading to them practically from birth on. Fortunately, both our children learned to love to read. In fact, our son read the encyclopedia everynight in his bed! His Dad did the same thing when he was small!

On birthday and Christmas my sister, the English teacher and lover of good books, would always give my children the classics!

I have kept most of the books that my children had during their childhood. As I was cleaning out a box or two today, I found several books that belong to our daughter that made me smile!


These are examples of some of the classic children's books that most children have read at some time during their lifetime.

Remember Hollie Hobbie? They were the sweetest little characters!
My kids grew up watching Sesame Street. And we read all the books about Cookie Monster and Big Bird that we could!
I loved the Joan Walsh Anglund books. They were adorable little people and the artwork is timeless.
When Kelly got her Cabbage Patch doll, she got this little "baby book" for her doll to fill in the blanks just like a read baby book. Her doll was named Ashley Diane.
We had hundreds of little Golden Books. Remember those? The funniest one I found was of Donny and Marie!

I plan on keeping all the classic books that belong to my children because now that we have a grandchild on the way, I hope they will enjoy them some day!

But, someone might have to explain Donny and Marie to Harper! har har

13 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

the donny and marie book made me smile. i have the donny and marie barbie dolls!

April said...

Some of those books sure brought back great memories. I, too, made it a point to read to my girls every night from the time they were very small. Abby and I still love to read together before she goes to bed. I always enjoyed making all the characters come alive by changing my voice for each one. It used to always make them laugh. We used to love the "Little Critter" stories when they were younger, but as they got older, they loved Beverly Cleary books and the "Dear Dumb Diary" series. I've kept many of their books over the years and hope to pass them on to my grandchildren one day.

Kelly said...

Oh those books make me sad ....especially the first two because I remember how much I loved them. Save them save them - I want to read them to Harper!!!

MiMi said...

How special it will be for Harper one day when she gets to read her mommy's books!

Seeing the Cabbage Patch dolls made me think of my daughter, Faith. She actually "adopted" her Cabbage Patch doll from the hospital in Clarkesville, GA where they were "born"! Too funny, huh?

The Garners said...

I have a box of my old books in the attic at Mom & Dad's--they're so fun to look at, and I've read some of them to Rhett when we spend the night there. I also have a big box of Barbies & Strawberry Shortcake dolls at home that I can't wait for Alexee to play with!

Jacquie said...

What great hand-me-downs! I love old books.

Meredith said...

Oh my goodness, I can so relate to the book collection! My mom has a huge library of classics! Oh my and Little Women and A Little Princess are such mandatory classics to have! My sister made a latch hook Holly Hobbie pattern! And of course, Sesame Street! When Russell and I move in our new house, I will HAVE to buy a nice bookshelf because I am collecting a lot of books myself!

Meredith said...

P.S. I have a whole STACK of GoldenBooks!!!! This is so funny!

Melissa said...

I loved Holly Hobbie, I even had a HH birthday party when I was little! I am so thankful my parents instilled in me a love of reading.

Kathy said...

I remember Santa leaving me a whole box of the "golden books". I always loved to read. My most favorite books were a set of Childcraft books that were part of the Encyclopedia Brittanica. Mom gave them away one year when we moved. I bought a set off of Ebay a few years back because I loved them so much. They were published in 1954.

Leigh Ann said...

That is so sweet that you saved those books. Ella Grace LOVES books and always asks me to "Read it." Both of my kids LOVE Sesame Street, too.

Julie said...

Oh how I love books so very much!!! Especially Little Women!!! Bryan and I still love books and we are outgrowing our office. We hope to move in 3-4 years and we are already talking that we must have a large library or office!!

I love that you are saving those books!! They are treasures!!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I loved that you kept all of those books ;)! Web and I read to Vance every night before bedtime and sometimes we read some of the books from my childhood ;)!

I know Harper will enjoy them ;)!