Wednesday, September 10, 2008

In the Blink of an Eye

After reading several young women's post about that first day of school I tried to remember how quickly the time does go by. The sweetest post I read yesterday was here.

The first day of school was always to me the best of times and the worst of times all rolled into one. I always loved starting to school, a new beginning, new school supplies and a new teacher.
I would start weeks ahead with my two children looking for that "just right" backpack and back then, a new lunchbox! I think in the picture above Chris is carrying a Dukes of Hazzard lunchbox. In fact, much to my hubby's perplexity, that lunchbox is probably in a box out in our garage!

It was the worst of times because it meant my children were another year older in school and once they got out of elementary school the time really sped up!

Just blink your eyes and here they are after Kelly had already graduated from college at Ouachita Baptist University and Chris was gratuating the first time from Texas A & M. The second time was at a little -known -smaller school called University of Texas at Austin! har

So, young parents, enjoy and soak up every minute of your children's school years while they are home. Don't get too bogged down in school activities , homework, housework and such that you don't take time to really enjoy your children's time at home. Trust me, it is one of life's greatest blessings when you look back! And it does go by in the blink of an eye!


12 comments:

In His Army said...

I love the pictures...was Kelly mad at Chris for graduating in that one?!! Ha! It is already flying by, if it speeds up after elementary, I'm going to really be sad!

Melissa Stover said...

you learned to make a link!

April said...

Boy, Judy, you sure know how to put a big lump in my throat! I am often amazed and saddened by the thought of Brittany going off to college next year! How can that possibly be? Then, of course, Abby won't be too far behind. Though I'm very excited about the changes coming their way and all that they're about to experience as they stretch their wings, I, also, understand that things in our home will never quite be the same, again. I have been so fortunate to be a stay-at-home mom for the past 16 1/2 years. What a blessing!!!I wouldn't trade it for all the fame and fortune in the world. For me, it's always been about making memories and being there for my daughters.

Kelly said...

I'm laughing at Micaela's comment - I do look kind of mad - maybe because my hair was being messed up by the wind?
I believe my lunchbox was Strawberry Shortcake. :-)
Harper isn't even here yet and I'm already sad about her going to kindergarden.
P.S. I'm VERY impressed you know how to make a link. You have become super blogger!!!

Kathy said...

Thank you for sharing the link. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Yes I am sad knowing this is the last year of high school for Jackson, from K to 12 was truly a blink of an eye.

MiMi said...

I will say "Amen" to everything you said! It really is just a blink of the eyes.

Becky said...

Oh Judy this is so true! It just seems like yesterday day that I too was with my girls looking for the perfect clothes for the first day of school, cute lunchboxes and neat school supplies. Then it's off to college, marriage and babies. WOW!

Jacquie said...

Amen, sister! Dave came home one day when Kale was starting the 8th grade and I was crying. He asked me what was wrong and I told him that I just realized that I only have 5 years left with Kale at home. My sister said, "When they're teenagers, that's an eternity!", but truly it was a blink. I absolutely loved every age my kids have been!!

Leigh Ann said...

Thank you for the reminder. I worry sometimes that I'm spending too much time doing housework. I don't want to look back later and regret that I just couldn't let some things go. This time is so sweet, precious, and short! Must get kleenex now!

Pam said...

There is a cute song in Mam ma Mia about lunch box in hand as she goes off to school. It reminded me of your first picture. It all went so fast for me and now my oldest grandchild is a senior in high school.

Kelly said...

P.S. I wish I had that cute dress with the apple on it for Harper to wear to school one day!

Diana said...

You're so right. My oldest just entered high school and I'm already feeling it and trying to run backwards in hopes of slowing down time!
Thanks for the wise reminder.