Saturday, October 11, 2008

Beautiful Things and Beautiful Places

When we go on foreign mission trips we see alot of opposites. We go into towns that are so run down and filthy-looking, you can't imagine living there. But there is always beauty there too.

I wanted to share some of the beautiful things I saw in Nicaragua . First of all, the people are beautiful! I have already shown you some of their endearing faces. But we also saw some very lovely interiors and exteriors that I wanted to share.

The picture above was outside our hotel looking down the street. I love the architecture of the buildings. If you look really close, you will see a person lying on the sidewalk asleep. We saw alot of that!

The interior of our hotel was beautiful....all open to the outside. I absolutely loved the doors...if I could have taken them down and shipped them home, I would have!! They were magnificent!
Is this not the most gorgeous armoire you have ever seen? It was in the hallway of the hotel.

We also had one in our room for our clothes....no closets. I would have like to have shipped these home too! I have four armoires and I am always intrigued by them....the older, the better!
This was another display in the entry hall at the hotel. I love the old cash register! It was kindof like being at a Central American Cracker Barrel !
They had these wonderful cane rockers in the lobby and on the front veranda. We enjoy sitting in them while we waited for the group to gather before leaving each day.




These four pictures above were of a Catholic church across from our hotel sort of in the townsquare. We went in real quickly before we left so I could take a few pictures.

One of the strangest things happened in front of this Catholic church. The morning we left we were standing in front of the hotel at 4:00 a.m. getting ready for the trip to the airport. I heard a group of people singing and looked across at this church and there was a large group of people standing in front of the church singing. I'm not sure what was going on but it was unusual for that early. I like to see a group of Baptist up at 4:oo a.m. in front of the church singing......we might have revival!!
If memory serves me right, there was a little sign on this (in English) saying that this was given by the Rotary Club. Don't ask me why?? Only in a foreign country could you see something like this!!

9 comments:

The Garners said...

I enjoyed all your photos!

Melissa Stover said...

the catholics do know how to make a beautiful church. i love the way they look and they never go out of style.

Leigh Ann said...

Gorgeous pictures! That armoire is amazing.

In His Army said...

What great pictures!!!

Jacquie said...

We share our love of armoires and old doors (well, all things old)! Glad you took photos and shared.

Jennifer said...

Wow! What great pictures you were able to get. The inside decor is simply gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing....

MiMi said...

WOW I love all the architecture and the old doors. You got some really great photos! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

I loved this post. The pictures are so interesting. My favorite was the hallway with the man asleep at the end of it. It looks like something you would see in a magazine.

Kara said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my "dream" nursery post! Like mother, like daughter I guess!! Both of you seem so PRECIOUS! Those pictures are AMAZING! It's so nice to see that there is beauty everywhere if you just take the time to see it. Thanks for sharing them!!