Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Word of Hope

Seems the news we are hearing everyday now goes from bad to worse. I believe people are dreading news that comes out of Washington or Wall Street as if their entire lives depended on what the pundits say on any certain day.

My heart breaks for those with no hope. As I had my quiet time this morning I read from the book of Lamentations. This is an Old Testament book that is not an especially well-read book on my part. But I couldn't help but notice this morning how relevant the scripture was for this particular time and place. (all scripture is ALWAYS relevant, of course) I wish the man who just this week was in such financial trouble and killed his entire family would have considered God's word.

This spoke to me and I hope it will to you as well:

Lamentations 3: 17-31 (The Message)

I gave up on life altogether.
I've forgotten what the good life is like.
I said to myself,"This is it. I'm finished. God is a lost cause."

IT'S A GOOD THING TO HOPE FOR HELP FROM GOD

I'll never forget the trouble, the utter lostness,
the taste of ashes, the poison I've swallowed.
I remember it all....oh, how well I remember...
the feeling of hitting the bottom.

But there's one other thing I remember, and
remembering , I keep a grip on HOPE:

God's loyal love couldn't have run out,
His merciful love couldn't have dried up.

They're created NEW EVERY morning.
How great is your faithfulness!

I'm sticking with God! (I say it over and over)

God proves to be good to the man who passionately waits,
to the woman who diligently seeks.

It's a good thing to quietly hope,
quietly hope for help from God.

It's a good thing when you are young
to stick it out through the hard times.

When life is heavy and hard to take,
go off by yourself. Enter the silence.
Bow in prayer. Don't ask questions.
Wait for hope to appear.

Don't run from trouble. Take it full-face.
The "worst" in never the worst.

WHY? Because the MASTER won't EVER
walk out and fail to return.

Amen!

12 comments:

Heather said...

What a powerful post Mrs. Judy...I needed to read this today!! Thank you.

Kathy said...

Beautiful words we all need to hear!

April said...

Judy,

That is so beautiful! It really rings true with what Chris is going through right now with losing his dad. I can't tell you how many times in the past 8 years, especially, that I have clung to God and he's been there for me through it all. I really don't know how I would have survived the grief and pain had it not been for His undying love for me.

God is so very good and he's been, and always will be, the one constant in my life.

The Garners said...

Wonderful words to hear today. Thanks for sharing this.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I was reading Jeremiah today and his warnings to Judah sound like they should be given to us today. blessings, marlene

Jacquie said...

What a great reminder! Sometimes it seems the dreadful things in this world are going to suck you in, but God is good!

(How'd you change your font?)

Immeasurably More Mama said...

This scripture passage meant so much to me in the past year...especially while we were waiting on God so many times to reveal His plan for adding children to our family.

It definitely applies to our circumstances today. With so much uncertainty, we can still hope and trust in our God! Oh, praise him!

MiMi said...

I needed to read this today. I love this passage in this translation. One of my favorite parts is:

When life is heavy and hard to take,
go off by yourself. Enter the silence.
Bow in prayer. Don't ask questions.
Wait for hope to appear.

Thanks for sharing! I'm sticking with God!

Leigh Ann said...

Thank you for sharing this today, Judy. Boy, did I need to read this today.

Julie said...

I am so thankful HIS mercies are new every morning. When I watch the debates, the evening news, and observe the stock market I have to remind myself...GOD is in control!! He puts rulers on throwns and he can remove them. Our future is totally in HIS hands. It brings peace to me!

Thank you for sharing these verses and post!

Sandy said...

great post - and you are right we cannot lose our hope. i read something similar today. we also can't lose our joy!

In His Army said...

I really needed this, thanks so much for taking the time to share His Word.