Monday, November 10, 2008

Cold Hands, Warm Soup

It's beginning to feel a tad like winter outside already! We have so busy the last two weeks that I am really looking forward to maybe staying home and settling in for the cooler weather.

Our satellite dish bit the dust the past week and we have two more "working days" to go before we receive our little replacement box, so if the world blows up we won't know about it out here in the "country" for days!

I really don't watch much on TV anymore but am addicted to the news and really, just the noise I've decided! Anyway, we do have the internet and it has more news than I really care to read!

Which brings me to what I am doing today: making soup! Don't you just love different kinds of soup? Is it a woman thing or what?

I missed Boo Mama's Souptacular a couple of weeks ago but I found a good recipe in my Paula Deen 's December Christmas issue that just sounds wonderful. It doesn't have many ingredients and I like that. I hate running to the grocery store for one little ingredient when I am primed and ready to cook (it doesn't happen too often ), so the fewer the ingredients, the better!

The picture above is the soup from Paul Deen's recipe.


Spicy Sausage and Cauliflower Soup

1 (16 oz.) pkg. spicy pork sausage
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 (32 oz.) boxes chicken broth
2 heads cauliflower, trimmed
1 cup half-and-half (this is why I love P. Deen!)

Garnish: shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced green onions


In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium-high heat for 5 mins. or until sausage is browned and crumbles. Remove sausage, and reserve drippings in pan. (Drippings should equal about 1/4 cup)

Reduce heat to medium;add vegetable oil. Add flour and cook, whisking to remove any lumps, until light brown.

Stir in chicken broth, whisking to remove lumps. Add cauliflower, and simmer until tender and begins to fall apart. Stir in half-and-half.

To serve, top each bowl with desired amount of crumbled sausage. Garnish with Cheddar cheese and green onion, if desired. Serve immediately.

Note: For a smoother soup, puree in a food processor before adding half-and-half.

Makes 6-8 servings. Enjoy!

What is your favorite soup and could you live a week without TV ??

12 comments:

Becky said...

It is sooooo cold here today! YUK! I made Taco soup for dinner tonight, however, it was ready when Alvin came home for lunch. So guess what!!! HA!!! It sure was yummy!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

It's snowing here...so we're definitely having soup for dinner. I'm going to try a chicken/wild rice soup I got from a blog friend.

Judy...I posted a recipe this weekend on my blog for Spaghetti Soup. It was amazing. And Leigh Ann posted a recipe for cheeseburger soup that I want to try soon!

I could live without tv for a week. I don't watch tons of it...but living without the internet is a different story!

The Garners said...

A week without TV wouldn't bother me much at all, but a week without internet would about drive me crazy!

Guy and Julie said...

That does sound good!! I LOVE soup when it's cold outside! My husband thinks that's all I know how to make 6 months out of the year!

Candy said...

That soup sounds really good! My fave soup is taco soup or potato soup or tortilla soup...hmm guess I have a lot of faves!
I could live without TV for a week, but not the internet! :)

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Anything with spicy sausage sounds good to me! Tonight we're having the Cheeseburger Soup that I posted for BooMama's Souptacular...I just love the cooler months. (:

Laurie said...

That soup sounds wonderful! I wish I had a bowl right now!

Kelly said...

I never cook soup at home - Scott's not much of a soup man - that may change soon.
My favorite soup is probably gumbo.
and no - I really don't think I could live without TV. I'd probably get a lot more done though without it.
I'm like Meredith - I could live without TV before I could live without the internet. ha!

Jacquie said...

MMM! I love soup. I've seen so many good soup recipes posted. I'm going to have to actually visit my kitchen sometime soon!

~Bekah said...

mmmmm this look soooooooo good! i might have to make this soon!!! haha..
thx for such a sweet comment on my blog. these weeks have gone by fast but it's soo fun to feel and see the changes now. no more sickness so that's a blessing!
thx again! have a blessed week!!

Unknown said...

First of all - I think that I actually might be able to live without TV only because I'm a addicting to reading blogs! But I have to say that one of my favorite soups is my sister seafood gumbo...now that is DELICIOUS!

MiMi said...

WOW that soup does sound yummy! (I can't believe it's a Paula Deen recipe and it doesn't have a stick of butter in it, though! LOL)

I could definitely live a week without TV. There are so few things that I really like to watch anymore. As long as I had my computer I'd be good to go!