Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I'll Not Forget.....

These were my Dad's army-issued glasses he received when he joined the military during World War II. He left home a young man ; he returned home a different man after serving in a prison war camp for nearly three years in Germany.

He loved his country and all the freedoms that came with living in the United States. I am so proud of him and my father-in-law who both are heroes of their generation for their unselfish acts of patriotism when they were called upon in the face of war.

We must honor them and NEVER forget what they have done. We need to pray for our country especially at this time in our history. We, as a nation, are nothing if we don't have God's blessings. Teach your children to love God and to show respect for our country, no matter who is in command.

I will never forget..........will you?

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

Well said. Great post! Love the glasses. I, too, have an old pair of my glasses. They were my grandfather's (he was a Vet as well).

April said...

What a beautiful post and well-said! I think all too often we go about our busy lives never really stopping to think about all the men and women who've made sacrifices to ensure our freedom. We live in the greatest country in the world and, for that, I feel so blessed!

I love your dad's old glasses. How neat! Can you imagine all that he saw while he wore them during the war? I, too, am very grateful and honored to have had a dad who served our country. He was a proud American and the love he had for his country rubbed off on me and I've passed it on to my girls.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this most special day of remembrance.

Immeasurably More Mama said...

What a great keepsake to remember your father by!

Today I am very mindful of and thankful for the unselfish way so many men and women have served our country.

Great post!

The Garners said...

What a great post!

Jacquie said...

I am so thankful to our troops past and present. Your daddy was the sweetest man... I loved his smile!! I love that you have those glasses and in such original shape and with the original case! That's a keeper.

Rebekah said...

What a wonderful post. It makes me so sad to see the lack of love and respect for our country and it just seems to get worse with each generation. People forget the men who sacrificed and even died so that they can live the priviledged life that they are living. Instead, there is such a sense of entitlement. It breaks my heart to think about how people take for granted what both of my grandfathers and my dad did for this country. I see my friends that have husbands overseas right now. How can you NOT respect and honor that?!?! Thank for you the sweet reminder and the beautiful words! It is also a great reminder that I have the job of passing down that respect to my kids.

Natasha said...

You are so welcome! Kelly is such a sweet person and her blog is so much fun to read! Her story has been touching to me since I went through 5 years of trying to have a baby before God performed a miracle and blessed me with a daughter.

In His Army said...

Great post, Mrs. Judy.