Sunday, November 16, 2008




I remember it like yesterday. I was twenty-one years old and a senior at the University of Arkansas and had fallen madly in love with a young man who came to the university from Hawaii but his roots were in Arkansas.
Since marriage had been discussed, it was now time to meet the future in-laws. They were making a trip up to visit family and meet me for the very first time. I was so very nervous because my soon-to-be-engaged boyfriend told me how tough his father was and he would be asking me many questions. Seems his father was a colonel in the Army and had lead a very interesting life. But he could be very tough.....especially on his son's girlfriend!
Of course, unbeknownst to me, Steve was pulling my leg! But I worked up quite a sweat over what would I wear, what would I say, etc. What if he didn't like me or approve of me?
Steve's Dad, affectionately known as "Poppie" to all of us, couldn't have been nicer or sweeter to me! Such has been a lifelong trend as the daughter-in-law to Kenny Martin: He loved me and I knew it and I loved and respected him very much.
This morning, our beloved Poppie, stepped from this world to the promise he knew was coming.......Home to see his Lord and Savior, Jesus! I am so sad for myself , my husband and children, but I am so happy for Poppie!
For someday, I know for sure, I will see him again. For I remember the day he accepted me into the Martin family with open arms and he will be there with open arms again to greet me in heaven. And he will brag that he got there first!! Love you and miss you Poppie!


14 comments:

Jacquie said...

I am so sorry to hear about Steve's dad. I know it is a difficult time for y'all... and we will be praying for you.

April said...

Oh, Judy, I hadn't heard the news yet! I am so very sorry to hear that Uncle Doyne has passed away. I loved him dearly and he'll be missed by so many! All I can think about is the happy reunion he must be having with Dick, Dad, and, of course, Grandma and Grandpa. What rejoicing that must be going on! He's finally HOME now, and there's great comfort in that.

Please know that we will be praying for all of you. God Bless You. Sending all our love...

April and family

Melissa Stover said...

i'm so sorry for your family's loss.

Jenna said...

I am SO sorry to hear about your father-in-law. It sounds like he was a great man and will be greatly missed. Ya'll are all in my prayers!

MiMi said...

I am so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. He sounds like such a wonderful man and I know that your family is experiencing a real void without him here.

I am praying for your family at this difficult time. May you find great comfort in all the wonderful memories you have with him.

In His Army said...

What a beautiful post about Bro. Steve's dad. So sorry for your loss, you guys will certainly be in our prayers.

Morris Family said...

I am so sorry to hear about Steve's dad. He sounds like he was a great dad, father-in-law, and grandpa. You and your family are in our prayers.

Betsy said...

All my love and prayers go out to you and your family. I know you will miss Poppie. He seems like a wonderful, sweet man!

The Garners said...

I am so very sorry to hear this. What a wonderful post to honor him. I'll be thinking about y'all all week as you travel and go through this time together. I know he'll be missed by your sweet family, but what a joy to know that you will all meet again.

Leigh Ann said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of Poppie. What a loving tribute you did for him. I'll be keeping you all in my prayers in the days to come. Hugs!

Brooke said...

What a beautiful tribute. I pray the Lord will ease the pain in your heart, and will give you joyful memories to celebrate this Thanksgiving. What a blessing to know he will be feasting at the Lord's table!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Steve's dad. We are praying for you all and remembering how joyous it must be in heaven these days. Love the Mudds

Julie said...

I'm sorry for the loss you and your family will have in your heart. But how wonderful he is in Heaven with our Lord!! May you have peace and comfort in precious memories!

Meredith said...

Please know that I am praying for all of your family! You are just so sweet, Judy! Your faith and love for Christ just shines through you!