Saturday, November 22, 2008

Seasons Change




We got home last night after being in Texas for Steve's father's funeral. Funerals are always a part of our lives considering us being a pastor's family. I have been to countless visitations, funerals, memorial services, etc.




But, the truth be known, it is very different if it is someone close to you. Steve has delivered many funeral messages: his grandmother, his cousin, our nephew who died at birth, both my parents and now his own father.




He never ceases to amaze me how he stands the stress and emotions of doing a funeral for your own loved one. Of course, we DO know how he does it....only through Divine Intervention from the Lord. How sweet He is to put the words in Steve's mouth....just the right words that the family needs to hear. We long for Him to always be in control of each word spoken.




Poppie's funeral was a great celebration fitting for an American who gave most of his adult life serving his country. I love military gravesides when they give the 21-gun salute, fold the flag and play Taps. As the men folded the flag the thought entered my mind of how very young they were. I guess that just shows how old I am getting!

This is another change in our lives that shows how really brief our time is here. Seasons change and our lives are forever different. A death in the family always brings time to reflect on how we spend our days that we have. I hope God's Word will speak to you as it has to me.

"Even though it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding GRACE.

These hard times are small compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye.

The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. BUT the things we can't see now will last FOREVER!"

2 Cor 4: 17-18 (The Message)

Thank you Lord!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers! I hope that you have lots of good times with your family and friends this Thanksgiving!

MiMi said...

Military funerals are always so touching to me. I am sure that it was a beautiful service with Steve officiating. What an honor for him to be able to deliver his own father's message.

I am thankful that you made it back home safely and I pray that you and your precious family will have a wonderful Thanksgiving this week.

Meredith said...

Judy, that is so sweet. I know ya'll are still sad but keep remembering God is with you all the time! Praying for ya'll! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Jacquie said...

I am SO thankful for His grace ... and the "good times" He has in store for us. Your family means so much to all of us and we are grateful for all the countless ways He uses you all!!

Jenna said...

Continuing to pray for you, your husband, and your sweet family!