Saturday, December 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Shirley!

This is my mother-in-law, Shirley, in 1948 in Japan admiring the cherry blossoms. She was a young wife and mother living there while her husband was stationed in Japan with the Army.

It is amazing to me to look at a picture of a woman made the year I was born who would ultimately be a tremendous influence in my life and I had no idea for the first 21 years of my life who she even was!

This is a picture of Shirley with a cute little boy following right beside her...........my husband, Steve.

This is Shirley around the year of 1970 when we first met at the University of Arkansas.
As you can see, she was a beautiful blonde!


This picture was made several years ago at a cousin's wedding. She still has her little boy standing next to her....but he's grown up some!



Here's Shirley a couple of weeks ago with five of her six grandchildren. She also has six great-grandchildren and another on the way(Harper)!
Today is Shirley's 86th birthday! She is a remarkable woman who has lived very well as a wife, mother, grandmother and now, great grandmother. The Lord has blessed her with so many blessings!
We love you, Shirley, and are so thankful you have been such a steadfast model of a lady in our lives all these years! Happy Birthday!




8 comments:

Becky said...

What a wonderul tribute to Shirley. Happy Birthday Shirley!!! She is a beautiful woman and very blessed by having you as a daughter-in-law! Have a FANTASTIC day!

Jacquie said...

What sweet words about your MIL! I LOVE that picture of her with little "Stevie".

Is it just me? I always think Shirley looks like she could be a First Lady.

Kathy said...

Beautiful post Judy. All the pictures are wonderful.

Kelly said...

We love you Grandma!!!
I always thought she looked just like a movie star - she was always so pretty!

Jenna said...

What a gorgeous lady!! Happy Birthday to Shirley!

MiMi said...

What a beautiful lady she was and is! I love all the pictures that you shared of her - especially those with her "little boy" beside her. What a beautiful tribute to such a special woman!

Happy, Happy Birthday Shirley!

The Garners said...

This is such a nice post. I got tears in my eyes when I got to the picture of her with (Toddler) Bro. Steve beside her...your future husband! I've thought a lot of times how somewhere out there in the world, there's probably a little girl and a little boy who will someday be the spouses of our kids--I've prayed for them and for their families to raise them in wonderful, loving Christian homes. What a neat look back at a lady who has been such a meaningful part of your life! Happy Birthday to her!

Leigh Ann said...

How SWEET! I love that first picture. We was (and still is) so beautiful. You are so blessed to have such a wonderful mother-in-law. I have a feeling Carrie and Scott feel the same way about you.