Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Simple" Week-End


I have had a hard time getting myself back to blogging about just everyday life lately.  I guess I am still reeling in a way from getting my mind back on the day-to-day activities and not just thinking  about Harper.  And it's been hard for me.  Her near-death experience changed me to the point that some things just don't seem important to me anymore.


I got the chance to attend a ladies ministry program at a sister church on Saturday. The theme was "Live Simple".  There were four ladies who shared four different topics that women deal with in their lives.  I enjoyed each one but especially enjoyed Corinne Hiser and her discussion of "Simply Healthy".  I have been putting off getting a physical check-up that I really have been needing and hope to remedy that this week and call for a doctor's appointment.

Our last speaker for the day gave us an interesting look into 2 Chronicles 20 about  Jehoshaphat.  (Ever hear anybody naming their new baby this??)

The theme was Worship Always Wins.

She talked about any situation we are in we need to pray first and ask the Lord what to do.
Next we need to believe that He can handle any situation.  We realize that we are inadequate and have no power of our own.  The Bible speaks of how"God resist the proud but gives grace to the humble".

Then we need to depend on God to save us. I love in verse 12 where it say that"we don't know what to do, but our eyes are on THEE" !!!!   YES!

Also, in verse 15, and this is awesome, "Do not fear or be dismayed....for the battle is not yours, but God's".   We should just be so thankful that is true!!

The last point was to express thanks to God IN ADVANCE of the battle.  Read verse 21 where they were singing praise to the Lord.  "Give thanks to the Lord, for His lovingkindness is everlasting"!

It was a good day to hear a good WORD from the good Lord!  
This morning after a great church service, my longtime sweet friend, Brenda,brought me the sweetest gift she said was just for Grandma to use when Baby Harper comes.  I love this little book for our "little monkey" as my kids call her!    Kelly is already reading books to her and I certainly hope to do the same.  I read constantly to Kelly and Chris when they were babies/little children and they were both early and avid readers!  Our whole family loves to read!

Brenda also gave me this perfectly darling hooded baby towel to bundle Harper up with!
It is so pretty but practical and I just can't wait to put Ms. Harper in it!   Thank you Brenda !  I love my Granny gifts!

So I have had a "simply" wonderful week-end!  How 'bout you?

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you were to name a baby Jehoshaphat just think of the nicknames to come (jeho, phat, etc.) Oh dear! Laura M.

beckylbranch said...

What cute stuff! I'm glad you had a great weekend!

beckylbranch said...

OH! I was going to ask you...what kind of doggies do ya'll have? Are they westies? I want a westie, but I don't know anything about them.

Lauren said...

Mrs. Judy, I just love you, and love reading about the love you have for sweet Harper and your family. Glad you had such a wonderful weekend!!! :o)

April said...

Hi Judy!
We had a simple weekend, too, and it was so nice, especially since Chris has been traveling a lot lately. Just good to be HOME.

Love all your sweet gifts! Harper is doing so well and I couldn't be happier for all of you...she is BEAUTIFUL! A true testament that God works miracles!!!

Jacquie said...

I totally forgot about that women's event! I would have liked to hear Corinne.

The H's were so good to get my kids some of the sweetest book and puzzle gifts. They gave Kale his first 200 pc. puzzle for his 4th birthday. He put it together all by himself within 2 weeks of his birthday. He LOVED puzzles after that!

MiMi said...

So glad that you had such a great weekend. I love the thoughts that you shared from your weekend and I so needed to hear those. What great comfort those verses offer us. I pray that when I don't know what to do in any situation that my eyes would be on HIM - because the battle is HIS!

Daddy Dale and Mommy Jen said...

So happy that you all had a great weekend! This weekend went by way too fast! The baby gifts for Harper are precious! She is always going to have plenty of things to do and tons of things to wear :)

Becky said...

We've been kinda slackin this weekend too. We did go to Little Rock today to see the grands. Pop and our middle guy were playing baseball (3 year old style) and pop ended up pulling a muscle in his back. I feel so sorry for him....I did the same thing the week Ridge was born. I was picking Cade up and almost feel to my knees with pain. As the song goes "I ain't as good as I once was". Well, that applies to both Alvin and myself.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Your women's conference sounded really good. Thanks for sharing about it. Glad you had a great weekend. Your gifts are wonderful. Love & blessings from NC!

Beth said...

I too had a great weekend! I love the cute book and hooded towel! Our grandaughters are 6 days apart in age!

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for your thoughts to . i love you and appreciate how you have helped me harper is a doll love always rhonda feel free to email me at rhonda20_2000@yahoo.com

Kelley said...

I am so glad to hear that Harper is doing so well. I love seeing the "granny gifts." That was so thoughtful of your friend to do that. I am glad you had a "simply" wonderful weekend. What you said is so true. When you see a loved one get sick, it is a helpless feeling. Prayer helps so much. It is amazing what really becomes important. I have found that out myself with my dad recently.

Anonymous said...

Granny gifts are the best idea ever! I'm so glad you enjoyed your simple weekend. Hope you can get to the doctor's office soon. Harper wants a healthy Granny who can watch her walk down the aisle on her wedding day.

Kathy said...

I'm with you on being behind on health appointments. I finally sat down and made 4 appointments last week starting with my eyes. It's easy to let it go when there is so much going on.

Beth Herring said...

I found your page from your daughter Kelly's. As a Pastor's wife myself, I love to read other pastor's wives blogs. We need that kind of reinforcement! I am a Nana also and I have been following and praying for Harper. I had a grandson in NICU - only for a week, but it is still very scary.

I look forward to visiting here. Feel free to visit my blog. I recently added a prayer page and the Lord has great things in store!

In Him,
Beth ( from Louisiana)

Heather said...

So glad you had a good and "simple" weekend....Love those granny gifts! Harper gets cuter every single day!

Jenna said...

How sweet are those gifts?? Great gifts for a great Nonny! I love them, and I just love reading about your weekend. Hope the start of your week is going well!!

Fran said...

God spoke so clearly to me several years ago to SLOW DOWN AND SIMPLIFY. I'm still "on" this one every day. It really gets into my heart and I love the beauty behind it.

So glad that you are well!
Many blessings and hugs,
Fran

Leigh Ann said...

I know what you mean about not being in the blogging mood. Harper's ordeal definitely changed me and put a lot of things in perspective for me.

I appreciate you sharing some of the conference with us. I'm glad you are going to the doctor! I am on my mom and sisters all the time about that very thing.

Ella Grace LOVES to be read to. I need to do more of it. That book is perfect for your little monkey. I don't know that I loved anything more than bath time with my babies and them bundled up in hooded towels. It doesn't get much cuter than that!

Brooke said...

I'm so glad you took time to share some words from your conference. I found them very encouraging. The "simple life" is a simple message, yet so important, and we always seem to make it more complicated than it needs to be! I attended a homeschool conference last weekend that was so refreshing for me. The speaker said, "If the devil can't keep us sinning, he can at least keep us very busy!!" I think it's true, and it reminds me how tempted I get to abandon the simplicity that brings me peace and joy.

Babies are such an anchor. They come to us so innocent, so vulnerable, and so full of hope and promise. There is nothing like the gift of a baby to inspire us to be the very best we can be and bring us back to what truly matters!

Crochet Renee' said...

I FINALLY figured out how to subscribe to your blog! Sometimes it takes me awhile....

valerie said...

I love II Chronicles 20 and the story of Jehoshaphat.
I have it underlined and marked up in my Bible.
Today I needed to be reminded of it though. Thank you for sharing. I would appreciate prayer for an unspoken request I have. It involves someone I'm close to who is having problems and I feel very helpless as to how to help her. I need to read this chapter again and know God is in control.

I love the baby gifts you received. Oh my gosh, that pink, fuzzy towel looks so soft!

Harper is so precious. I don't usually comment on Kelly's blog, but I'm a regular "looker." :)

Have a great weekend and thanks again for sharing this post.

Love,
Valerie (Oklahoma)

Love Being A Nonny said...

Glad last weekend was great! I am still addicted to Kelly's blog and sweet Harper. That is one cute, baby girl!

From one Nonny to another.....