Thursday, May 28, 2009

Odds and Ends

Every spring we have birds who come and build their nest under the eave of our back porch/deck roof.  I enjoy seeing the eggs and then the babies but they do make a HUGE mess underneath.  This past week-end we were doing our bi-annual "power wash the deck" and put out the deck furniture for the season.  


Hubs removed this nest to a better spot so we could clean up under them and make it less unsightly.  I was so afraid the mother bird might not keep feeding them because they were misplaced.  So three times a day I would go out with my little warmed milk and bread crumbs and try and feed them.  (What do you feed them??  I'm not in to digging up bug/worms)
Then we discovered the mother bird had indeed found them and was feeding them again!

All's  right with the world!
This little birdie came early and his mom had unwisely built her nest on our new outdoor ceiling fan.  We took it down and I tried for two day to feed it too but it was just too small to live.  The mother bird never came back.  I felt so bad!

Does the guilt ever end??
Moving on.......

I tried out a new cake recipe last week-end when we had the kids here.  It was really easy and turned out delicious.  I thought I would share it!  I made a two layer cake but you could put it in a 11x13 pan if you want to make it even easier!


Mandarin Orange Cake with Icing


1 yellow butter cake mix
3/4  cup oil
4  eggs
1 can mandarin oranges, drained

Mix and bake in two round greased and floured cake pans at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.



Icing

20 oz. can crushed pineapple, NOT drained
1 small box vanilla instant pudding mix
8 oz. Cool Whip

Fold together gently and ice cooled cake.


Eat and enjoy.  If you have any leftovers, put it out for the birds!  They will love it!

10 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

a friend called me and asked what to feed a baby bird. they had found one. i told her to chew up some crickets and spit them into the bird's mouth. but i guess some people aren't willing to make that kind of sacrifice for god's creatures. :)

my kids asked me if i was going to sit on the eggs we found. i told them i'd have to lose some weight first.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Cute little birds!! I make that cake and it is awesome and so easy. Have a great weekend. Love & blessings from NC!

Jacquie said...

Poor, poor little bird!!

That cake looks so good. Great dessert for summer.

Kelley said...

God Bless You for trying to help!

lots of love said...

thanks for stopping by our blog & the sweet msg! i consider us the blessed ones for havin our sweet rylie! hehe i love your daughter kelly's blog & read it everyday-such an inspirational woman! thanks for that cake recipe-looks yummy!

Gram said...

Sorry about the baby bird, I am always so sad when I find a little body in our yard.

The cake looks great - I will definitley try it. It reminds me of Esther's Orange Marmalade cake from the Mitfor series by Jan Karon.

Have a great weekend.

ClintandGina said...

I must explain that your daughter is a little famous in our household. I found her blog through a friend the day Harper was born and I prayed for Harper faithfully while she was in the hospital. After three weeks of checking Kelly's blog religiously, I was hooked. Being pregnant with our first baby girl myself, Harper gave me glimpse into how much fun it was going to be for our little one to arrive.

So with that background, here is the conversation that was had in our house last night (I left this on Kelly's blog too ;)

Me: "Honey, Kelly Stamps left a comment on my blog about the nursery.....for the tour of homes!!!"

My husband: "Who is Kelly Stamps"

Me: "HARPER'S MOM"......He knows Harper, because I call him in to look at how cute she is on a regular basis.

My husband: "oh cool"

Me 5 minutes later......"Wow, Kelly's mom comment on my blog too! This is so exciting."

So you and Kelly made my night last night. Thank you for that :)

Erin said...

Sounds yummy I will definitely be making this cake!

Jamie said...

That cake sounds great--I hope to try that soon!

Leigh Ann said...

We had a nest right outside our front door and the momma would try to attack Derek. They also made a big mess! There weren't any babies, so Derek moved the nest. Ooooh, orange cakes remind me of my mom and of summer. She always made "fruity" type cakes in the summer. YUM! I might just have to get her to make one for me. Now I'm thinking about pineapple upside down cake! =)