Friday, May 8, 2009

Stormy Friday

I've been busy this morning making a cake to take to Kelly's for this week-end's celebration of Harper's Baby Dedication and Mother's Day!  Kelly's first Mother's Day and my first Mother's Day as a grandmother!  I can't tell you how blessed I am!  


I made a Caramel Apple Cake.  It is a great "traveling" cake and tastes better the older it gets!
I will wait and make the caramel icing when I get to Kelly's house because it is easier to transport.  Plus having caramel sauce all over the car is not great!

I will put the recipe at the end of the post.  A friend at church gave me this recipe years ago and it never fails to be delicious!
We have had storms all over the area this morning.  I thought some of our huge trees were going to fall over!  We spend late yesterday evening (when we actually had a few hours of sunshine......remember sunshine???) cutting more limbs and stacking them up to burn later.
The ice storm of January will probably still be work in July!!  

As the picture above shows, we had a brief shower of hail.  I had to make a picture real quick before it melted and email to hubby at his office so he could see what he missed.  It apparently didn't hail in town.
The hail didn't ruin my little "toadstools" I saw this morning outside in my front flower bed.
They were just everywhere and came up over night.  They were so perfect looking!


Hope you all will have a wonderful Mother's Day week-end.  If you have a Mother, call her and tell her how much she means to you while you have the chance.  You never know what tomorrow will bring.  If you are praying to be a Mother someday, just keep asking the Lord.
Remember Hannah( in 1 Samuel) conceived in "due time" and gave birth to Samuel saying "Because I have asked him of the Lord".

Blessings !



Caramel Apple Cake


1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teasp. cinnamon
1/2 teasp. nutmeg
1 teassp. baking soda
1/2 teasp. salt

3 1/2 cups diced peeled apples
1 cup chopped pecans
2 teasp. vanilla

Caramel icing :

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup light cream 
1/2 cup butter
dash salt
1 cup confectioners' sugar
chopped nuts, optional

In mixing bowl, combine oil and sugars.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each 
addition.  Combine dry ingredients; add to batter and stir well.  Fold in apples, nuts,
and vanilla.  Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.

Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until cake tests done.  Cool in pan for 10 mins;
remove to wire rack to cool completely.

Heat brown sugar, cream, butter, and salt until sugar is dissolved.  Cool to room temperature.
Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth; drizzle over cake.  Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
Yield; 12-16 servings.


19 comments:

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Have a marvelous Mother's Day! The sight of that cake cooling on your counter has me salivating...YUM!!!

Becky said...

Oh dear. Now I'm wanting a piece of your cake. The other day after you posted the Chili's Salsa recipe, I thought I was going to die before I could get out and get the ingredients together to make it. Boy was it good!

I was wondering if you guys had gotten the storms this morning. We totally missed them. Thank goodness. I'm glad y'all were hit hard.

Happy Mother's Day to you and Kelly.

Kelley said...

We missed the storms, but had a little rain. I am ready for sunshine! The cake looks delish! Have a wonderful Mother's Day and 1st Grand Mother's Day!

Paige said...

AWWWW- Granmother of the imfamous Harper. I feel so honored. Thank you for your sweet comments and most of all your prayers. This has been the hardest year of our lives, but we know that God has a perfect plan for our lives. Your prayers are much appreciated- mother's day and Tatum's birthday are just around the corner.

Todd and Courtney said...

That cake sounds yummy! Have a wonderful weekend. I can't wait to see pictures. Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog. And yes, Harper & Lauren's closet looks the same - clothes, clothes, & more clothes :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Kelly's mama! Just wanted to come by & tell you what a delight your daughter is to so many people. I have so enjoyed stopping by her blog & watching the birth & progress of that precious baby, Harper. May your entire family have a wonderful weekend as you celebrate so many blessings!

Jenna said...

hope you have a GREAT mother's day, judy! i know this will be one of the most meaningful yet!

that cake sounds/looks SO yummy. in my opinion, nothing say i love you like a homeade cake! :-)

The Garners said...

Happy Mother's Day weekend to you! What a special way to celebrate by going to H's baby dedication!

Thank you for the cake recipe--sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers day and Grandmothers Day to you! What a blessing for both you and Kelly.
My Mom called me this morning from y'alls great state! She had to let me go real fast because the weather came up quick on them and she said the clouds looked scary. She soon called me back and said they moved out pretty fast. Y'all have really had your share of bad weather. I hope it gets better soon because she will be heading home for My sons graduation. I love where she lives up there but we sure miss her here. Im sure you know how it feels to ba away from the ones you love. Take care and enjoy this weekend with your babies~

Vashti said...

Have a WONDERFUL mommy/grandmommy's day!!!
The cake looks yummy.
We had very bad storms in SOuth Africa this week. We also had hail...which is very strange in a country that is so hot!
ave a blessed weekend.

On the Eastern Journey said...

Hope you have a wonderful Mother's day! Cake is my favorite food group. Yum! I'm so hungry now!

KIMBERLY said...

HAPPY FIRST MOTHER'S DAY AS A GRANDMOTHER! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE KEEPING UP WITH KELLY'S BLOG AND KNOW YOU MUST BE SO PROUD AND BLESSED TO CALL HER YOUR DAUGHTER AND HARPER YOUR GRANDDAUGHTER! HAVE A BLESSED WEEKEND!

Jacquie said...

That cake looks YUMMY!

I can't believe you got hail at your house. It got a little scary didn't it?

I am so thrilled that you and Kelly are celebrating Mother's Day in such a special way this year. You and Steve are the BEST grandparents ever! Harper is one blessed baby girl!

beckylbranch said...

MMMM that looks so delish! I hope and pray that Harpers dedication goes well! I am sure it will :)
Your number was picked to do a bloggy makeover so when you get a chance just email me at beckylbranch@gmail.com and I'll get started for you!
Much love, Becky

Panamamama said...

Happy Mommy's Day, Aunt Judy! The cake looks yummy!

Lisa said...

oh I know you, you are Harper's grandma! well, not really "know" but I am a follower of Kelly's, as everyone else in the world is,and just realized I knew this blog. You are my fellow winner of the bloggy makeover. I can't wait to see what Becky comes up with for us.
And most important...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! I hope you have a wonderful day with your family and at Harper's dedication.
~Lisa

Buttercup said...

Hope you had a wonderful day and vist with darling Harper. The cake looks yummy and I will have to keep the recipe to try!

Morris Family said...

Have a Happy Mother's Day, Judy!!! The cake sounds wonderful!! I will definately have to try it!!! I couldn't believe the hail either as we were watching the storm pass by looking out the shop windows...that's real safe!!! HA!

Lauren said...

Mrs. Judy, I hope you had a fabulous mother's day weekend with your sweet family. Love ya :)