Friday, August 21, 2009

Long Ago School Days

I was one of "those mothers" who took pictures of nearly every first day of school. It was probably a hassle to get the kids to "pose" when we were hurrying out the door.....but now I am so glad I did!! After a quick search of tons of pictures, I found a couple to share.


The above picture was made in August 1981. Kelly was 7 1/2 years old and going into 3rd grade. She started school when she was four so she was younger than most of her class.
Chris was 5 years old and starting to kindergarten. I love his "Dukes of Hazzard" lunchbox and you can't really see Kelly's lunchbox but it was "Strawberry Shortcake". I think we still have the Dukes of Hazzard one in the garage somewhere! Yikes!!
This is the fall of 1986. We had just moved to a new town where we still currently live. This was probably the most difficult year.......new school, new teachers, etc. Kelly was going into the seventh grade and Chris into the fourth grade.
I know there is a huge gap between the other pictures and this last picture but I just don't have the time to look them up. I did want to show this picture of Kelly and Chris at Chris' first college graduation at Texas A&M. As you can see, I was still getting both my kids together for those "school days" pictures! No regrets!!

18 comments:

rae said...

Those pictures are too precious!! I know you are so glad you have them!!

Love Being A Nonny said...

I have the same kinds of shots. Wouldn't trade them for the world! Thanks for sharing them with us.

From one Nonny to Another!

Lauren said...

Haha, I know Kelly will appreciate this Mrs. Judy :)

It's so weird to see her with dark hair!!!

Those pics are precious!!!

Kelly’s Korner said...

Um thanks for that second picture. I was a poster girl for the "awkward preteen years".

Linda said...

Hi Judy,..this is Linda @ Truthful Tidbits and I am your follower now.

I enjoyed the pictures of your kiddos when they were little, and then through the years. I know they will be glad you took these pictures. (Even if Kelly said she looked like an awkward teenager! Ha!)

It is a little weird to see Kelly with dark hair,...but she is sooo pretty.

I sure appreciated her birthday wishes and also yours on Wednesday. You both made me feel special!

God is so Good!

Love, Linda

Jenna said...

Your post with pictures of days gone by ALWAYS bring me great joy!!!

Have a great weekend, sweet Judy!!!

Kelley said...

You have a beautiful family. Because of your post, I will always remember to take those first day of school pictures.

Tara G. said...

My mom did the same thing! And I think my brother and I had the same lunch boxes!! :)

The B's said...

gig em aggies!!!! I STILL want to go there...maybe one day... :)

Laurie said...

First day school pictures are always great. I love seeing these!

Sharmin said...

I had to laugh when I clicked over to this post. I just put pictures of my boys' first day of school on my blog. I make them pose on the first day regardless of what grade they are in. If I can swing it, Casey will get hers taken on her first day of classes, too.

Anonymous said...

Judy, I get to take my first school picture on September 8th when Nathan goes to preschool. I can't believe it. :) Could you pass on this website to Kelly for me.
www.grobag.com This is the brand that someone gave me but I am sure there are other brands. Blessings, Laura M.

In His Army said...

So glad you posted these. And I am most thankful for the year that you moved to town! (Sorry that it was the most difficult) but I can't imagine life growing up without any of you!

Jacquie said...

So, so cute!!! (I love Kelly's hair dark.)

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I always took pictures on the first day of school each year and they are priceless treasures now!! Thanks for sharing yours with all of us. Just think, Kelly will be taking those school pictures of Harper before you know it! Have a great week. Love & blessings from NC!

Rebekah said...

I always love all of your old pics! I will have to remember to always take a picture on the first day of school!

Lauren said...

I love all of your back to school pix! I keep snapping my camera, hoping to collect many memorable shots! I know that the "first days of school" pictures will be used a lot! Glad that there are no shots of their mama....crying! :)

kimberly t. bowling said...

I am notorious for taking "first day of school" pictures. Many friends in our community even made fun the very "first day" for my firstborn, because they said I held up the car line taking pictures of him walking in from every angle!! :) Now that firstborn just had his "first day" of high school, and this mama did cry!! I wrote a sweet post to remember those feelings for when the teenage angst sets in!! :)

http://bowlingfamilymoments.blogspot.com/2009/08/it-was-best-of-times-and-worst-of.html

Oh and I LOVE the lunchboxes!! I have a collection above a set of cabinets in my kitchen...one from every decade, beginning in the 50's. All from different family members. My father-in-law, sister, brother, husband, mine, and a couple of the kids from recent years.