Monday, March 1, 2010

Bed and Breakfast

I think I have mentioned this before but we are a family of dog-lovers.  I had dogs all the years I grew up and the tradition continued when my children were small.


This was our cocker spaniel, Buster, who we got when our son was in kindergarten.  He lived a wonderful life with us until we went to seminary for several years.  Because pets were not allowed in seminary housing, Buster lived with my parents.  But once we were settled in our new place of service, Buster came home and lived until our son was a senior in high school.  It was a great loss in our family to lose our beloved Buster.

This was our first Westie, Scooter.  He was the neatest dog and we were crazy about him.  He, unfortunately, had a bad habit of chasing cars which lead to his demise.






These were our next Westies, Buddy and Kramer, who we just lost this past year. (RIP)
They are the best pets.  They are brothers but we adopted them at separate times from two different people in Little Rock.   Buddy is getting close to 14 years old now and is nearly blind but still has that "puppy" playfulness and we love him dearly!

This is our cocker spaniel, Skipper.  He came to us as a "rescue" dog.  Someone threw him out on a road, full of ticks and nearly starved to death.  We picked ticks for hours, took him to the vet, cleaned him up and he has been the sweetest pet!  He is a beautiful dog!

Now we also have our Grand-dogs!  This is Dawson, our first granddog.  You have to read(his Poppa blogged about it) about his big adventure last year when he lived with us while Harper was in the NICU.  He is a survivor of the great ice storm of 2009 with his Poppa taking good care of him and making  him a country dog!

This is our newest granddog, Coco.  She lives in the Big City and she is a sweetie!  I had never been around a Pug before but I loved her immediately!  Wish she would come stay with us too!



Two weeks ago, a new dog arrived on our doorstep.  This golden lab is our neighbor's dog but he has decided to come and spend part of his day and all night with us.    He has lived next to us for many years but all of a sudden decided to try our bed and breakfast down the road!

He started sleeping on our front mat at our front door.  Anytime we were out at night, he greeted us at our door and spent the night!  It has been so cold that I had to put a comforter out for him to sleep on.

We are not planning on "keeping" him...he belongs to our neighbor ......but he is welcome to sleep over at night and go home during the day and check-in with his family!  Maybe he just likes to "winter" at our house!   We'll see what he does when warm weather comes.........if it ever does!!   We love him too!

20 comments:

Nancy said...

I think I would want to hang out on your porch, too :) You guys seem like the sweetest family! Those are all blessed little four legged friends!
We lost our bloodhound a couple weeks back & we miss him so much!

Kelley said...

I love you post. I grew up with dogs too. We had Walkers and Black and Tan dogs. My dad was a big hunter years ago. We had terriers too. They made great pets.

Kelley said...

Sorry for the misspelling of your.

Heather said...

So sweet!!! You know we love Westies....my Gracie-girl is almost 9 and my parents' westie is about 13, too. It's so sad when they get older...because they are such good "friends."

Nina said...

Such cute dogs! Growing up I always wanted a dog, but my parents would only allow me to get a goldfish. You know the ones you win at the fair. :) I had one though that I swear had 9 lives. His name was George and he lived forever.

Kara said...

I really enjoyed that! We have 3 boxers and a baby on the way!

Gram said...

How funny that the dog just now decided to stay at your home. I did not grow up around dogs, but had a dear German Shepard when my son was little. We now take care of our grandpuppy quite often due to the hours the kids work and the demands of the baby. To tell the truth, I would rather have the baby!

Melissa's Thoughts said...

Such sweet puppies. God truly blesses us with these little/big things doesn't He? My Anna is laying on the couch next to me and my 16 year old Shadow in laying in his crate dreaming of chasing bunnies. From the sound of it, I think he just caught one.

Becky said...

A dog lover here in Indiana. We have a rescue lab/mix and a german shepherd.

I grew up overseas and our neighbor had a shepherd that hung out at our house and became very protective of us. He would sleep under my parents bedroom window at night. One night my dad had a call and came home in a car Duque did not recognized. He refused to let him out of the car until my mom came outside. What a guy!

Kelly said...

Maybe he heard you were down to 2 dogs and might like a 3rd? And maybe he heard about all the great walks they go on and how great the shop is. That kind of makes me sad for him.

Nelson's Mama said...

Love the new guy!

Our neighbor's dogs come for breakfast each morning and my dog Nelson is always welcome to slip through their dog door anytime.

3LittleByrds said...

I love all your dogs. So cute and precious. We're a dog loving family too.

Mrs. Joyce said...

We seem to like all the same doggy names in our families. We have Scooter now. Our daughter and son in law had Buddy for almost 13 years. Most of our dogs have been black/white. We've had 4 Shelties, all black/brown/white. Our daughters have had border collies and aussies and one all white Jack Russell terrier. Love those puppy dogs!

Melissa said...

I am an only child, so dogs were my constant 'brothers and sisters.' I was raised with doxies that we got from friends or shelters. My parents are on their 12 doxie. I have moved onto larger dogs, but have rescued them all. One from a truckstop in Mississippi....she was and will always be my baby. She was put to sleep on 9/11/08 and not a day goes by I don't think of her!!! I now have two 'mutts' that I've rescued from the SPCA. Animals bring such laughter and happiness and ask for nothing in return. How simple life would be if people were the same! Thank you for showing us your 'four-legged' children and grandchildren :)

Kathy said...

I'm with Kelly. Makes me sad too. Is he lonely or cold? I think he is trying to tell you something. I'm just way too sensitive when it comes to cats and dogs. Love all the pictures of you babies.

Larissa said...

I love your post...We are a household of animal lovers. We have a dog, a cat and hamster. Sounds silly, but they all coexist good together.

PS.I'm a new reader from your daughter's blog. I just think Harper is too cute!

Little Mama said...

What a great post about your adorable dogs! We are big dog lovers, too. They are such a special part of our family.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comments about collecting Blue and White. It's always fun to "meet" a fellow collector! I'm like you, my pieces aren't expensive, but I sure do enjoy them. I also am running out of room to put Blue and White. Now, I'm just trying to convince my sweet husband to start hanging a few pieces on the wall :)

You have a wonderful blog and I so enjoy reading Kelly's blog, too!

Anonymous said...

Awww.sweet pups! We have had our share of them here no doubt. Our Momma lab just had 9 puppies a week ago. I love them all so much already I am going to have a hard time letting them go. Just so cute you know!!!

The Garners said...

That's so funny that he's decided to come hang out at your house! I don't blame him though...what a great place to be! I'm sure he likes his temporary bed--it looks comfortable, and he probably enjoys watching the deer.

Erin said...

He made a good choice deciding to come and hang out at your house. I am a dog lover as well, I just loved all the pics that you shared, I think that the pugs are so funny looking you can't help but love them!