Monday, March 29, 2010

Cooking School



Saturday I attended my first Taste of Home Cooking School. I guess it is never too late to learn new cooking techniques or get a new recipe!



Years ago I subscribed to the magazine, Taste of Home. I enjoyed the magazine and always loved seeing the beautiful pictures of different kinds of food.  I probably even cut out many of the recipes and kept them in a file. And used them infrequently! Knowing me, I let the magazines stack up in a corner for years before I finally tossed all away in a fit of Spring Fever cleaning!! (Which I am getting ready to do with my old Southern Living magazines!)



Getting back to the cooking school......I did learn one great trick: When you cut up apples pour Seven-Up over them to keep them from turning brown instead of using lemon juice!
I wanted to share a recipe with you that looked very delicious! It is a breakfast casserole that you make ahead.....I like that! And it has apples with cinnamon-sugar that lends a sweet taste! Sounds good to me! Try it...you might like it!



Jimmy Dean Maple Breakfast Casserole

1 package Maple Flavor Jimmy Dean pork sausage
10 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 C. (2 large) Golden Delicious apples, peeled and  chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 cups cubed bread
8 oz. (2 cups) shredded mild cheddar cheese


1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  In a large skillet, cook sausage , stirring frequently until 
thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs with milk and vanilla; stir well.
In a small bowl, toss apples with sugar and cinnamon.


3. Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 13X9 inch baking dish.  Sprinkle with half
the sausage, half the apples and half the cheese.  Repeat layering using remaining 
bread, sausage, apples and cheese.  Pour egg mixture over the casserole.


4.  Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, or until eggs are set.
Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.

Note: This casserole may be assembled ahead and refrigerated up to 12 hrs. before baking


11 comments:

Elaina Weaver said...

Thanks for the comment.

I just love reading your blog as well as Kelly's. Miss Harper is just the cutest thing.

It's nice to have good Christian friends in the blog world. :)

Immeasurably More Mama said...

That breakfast casserole sounds so GOOD!

Amy said...

HeyJudy! I have always wanted to go to one of their cooking shows but just never took the time to go. I love their magazines too and have a bunch that I pull out from time to time when I need something "different". Glad you had a good time.

Kristin said...

I have loved Taste of Home magazine for years!! This recipe looks so yummy!! I'm going to try it out soon...thanks for posting it!

Auntie D said...

I have never heard of doing that with apples! Great tip!!! Thanks! :)

Love Being A Nonny said...

I have seen those cooking schools advertised in our paper about once a year. I have always wondered if it was a good experience. I may try it next time they have one!

From one Nonny to another

Todd and Courtney said...

Yummy :) I love breakfast casseroles!

Kelley said...

That sounds delicious! Thanks for the tips about the apples. I would love going to cooking school!

kimberly t. bowling said...

My mother has also always loved her Taste of Home magazines...and the pictures are always so good of their recipes! Cooking School would be so much fun....I enjoy cooking and baking, trying new recipes, watching food network, and certainly eating the food!!! I've never heard of the 7-up trick, but have used pineapple juice for the apples. And what a neat recipe, thanks for sharing.

Sharmin said...

My sister-in-law went to that same one. The casserole sounds delish, I may have to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

im excited about this recipe..sounds yummy. we cut up apples and sprinkle cinnamon and splenda sev times a wk and cook until crispy. anything for my sweet tooth!!