Monday, December 27, 2010

Extreme Make-over

Something happened at our house that I have been wanting to happen for six years!

When we moved in our house, I carefully decorated all the downstairs and the upstairs and was pretty well pleased with the results.

However, we have this huge bonus room over our garage and I had no ideas then but several pieces of older but in good condition furniture.  So the bonus room became a TV room with old furniture, no style and then morphed into a junk room.  Hubs did build a nice TV cabinet a couple of years ago but that's as far as we got in the way of decorating!


We also had a pair of club chairs, ottoman, and a recliner but had already moved them when I took these  "BEFORE" pictures.



My desk became my keyboard holder and office rolled into one!









We do have a treadmill and some weights that had to be left for future use!!



We decided a few weeks ago that since all our kids were coming for the holidays it might be nice if we had a place we could all congregate and watch TV since we don't have a TV in our living room.

So the search went on for furniture.  We finally found some but it had to be ordered...but,oh, dear, would it be here in time for Christmas?  But it did arrive and we think it looks like a great improvement!





This is the TV cabinet that Hubs made a few years ago.  I showed him a picture of one in Pottery Barn catalog that looked just like this.......only $3000 more than I wanted to pay!  And this one is solid wood!



I love the "coffee table/ottoman" that went with the sectional.  I bought a huge, flat tray from Pier I that I put on the top for TV controls, etc.


We even bought Skipper a new bed to be put beside the new couch so he wouldn't make himself at home on the new furniture.


We think he likes it just fine!




End of the extreme make-over.......the family all enjoyed it!  We got to be together, watch Toy Story, played "Apples to Apples" and had good family time!



We also kept our "Arkansas Razorback" rockers!  Guess who loves those??










28 comments:

Courtney said...

Your new room looks great. Love how the family all looks so comfy in there!

Elaina Weaver said...

It looks great! And your husband did a fantastic job on the tv shelf. That's amazing!

Love Being A Nonny said...

It looks GREAT!!! And isn't it so nice to have a BIG ROOM like that for when the family gets together???!!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Mrs. Judy! I love the new sofa and it looks like your family enjoyed it too. My Mom came down from Lead Hill to spend Christmas with us and it was so nice. I miss her already. Your last post made me smile. I too have a December birthday. The 17th and I can remember Christmas paper as well...ha! My Mom did make my day special though and still does :)
Hope ya'll have a Happy New Year! ((hugs)) Susie

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Judy,

It looks great....I need your husband to build me a few things....

I know many memories will be made in that room

Happy New Year
Love,
Teresa

Andrea said...

Your new room looks great! Your husband is worth his weight in gold for being able to build that amazing entertainment center. Your family seems like a really great bunch of people! Merry Christmas!!

Cyndi said...

I LOVE the make over. It looks so great for all your family to enjoy. Your husband did an amazing job on the cabinet. Hope you have a happy new year.

Melissa said...

What a great makeover! Stylish but comfy! That TV cabinet....OH. MY. WORD. Gorgeous!!!! How nice to have a husband who can build things! Mine isn't into DIY home improvement, but at least he's great at fixing the washer or my truck or whatever else "mechanical" needs doing!

Kelley said...

I love the look off your new room! I cannot believe that your hubby made that tv cabinet! It is fabulous!

Joy Junktion said...

It's always so fun to 'redo' a room - looks nice and cozy:)

Just an FYI - I know you prayed for my hubby - he decided to spend Christmas with Jesus this year - he passed away on Christmas Eve.

My heart is broken to bits but I know he is no longer in pain.
Thanks for your prayers:)

beckylbranch said...

Oh my word! AMAZING! I love love love it! Looks like you all had a great Christmas! Love, Becky

Jacquie Wallace said...

Wow! It looks great!! I love the sectional!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love the changes! You guys did a great job!

Nancy said...

WOW! It looks wonderful! I am looking for a sectional like that -I might check out Ashley Furniture or we got a new store called "Stacks" that I need to go look in.
You did a great job!

Tara G. said...

It looks wonderful! I popped over from Kelly's because I just wanted to say your mantle looks gorgeous! :)

Claire said...

What a beautiful makeover!

Cxx

Panamamama said...

Wonderful! You want to come decorate my house? :)

Twice as Nice said...

I think the make over is GREAT!! So warm and inviting but where did your "office" go?

Candis Berge said...

Oh, it looks great! I love "make-overs" with before and after pictures. Isn't it funny how we need more room, not less.. despite the empty nest? We are so blessed.

Marie said...

your family room looks so pretty with the new sectional, make for a nice place to have family/friends have a big room to hang out in, you hudband did a beautiful job on the TV entertainment center.
" Have a happy New Year"

Monelle said...

I love how the room turned out! Great couch and the hubs does GREAT work!

Sandy said...

Your room looks wonderful! Wasn't it nice to have a room big enough for the entire family to gather comfortably? We are packed in like sardines when everyone comes to my house. Thankfully, we all like each other, so it works. :)

Happy New Year!

Nina said...

Love the makeover!! And hubs is quite handy. I love that entertainment center!!! I love the ottoman too that goes with the couch. Okay, basically, I love everything about the room. Ha!

Jessica said...

That looks amazing! I love the tv cabinet. Soo pretty in that dark color!

Richella Parham said...

Hi Judy--we're watching the Sugar Bowl, and I slipped away during a commercial break to come say "hi." You know I'm pulling for the Razorbacks!

Your bonus room looks wonderful! I know you're proud to have it all fixed so nicely. The very best part, though, is the cabinet your husband made! Wow!!

Happy New Year to you!

Nascar88_20 said...

Beautiful makeover! Everything about it looks like it should be in Southern Living. And the TV cabinet Hugs made is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

jenn said...

I LOVE your sectional!! Is it corduroy? and that cabinet is WONDERFUL!! what a great hubby!! :-)

jmh said...

Hey Judy!
I read Kelly's blog & of course hop over from time to time to get Nonny's perspective:) You ALL seem like the sweetest family and it's been fun 'watching' Harper grow these past two years!!

Since your husband is such a wood worker (my beloved grandfather spent every free minute in his woodshop and I miss the smell so bad!), I thought I'd let you know about a website that has wood 'plans' for TONS of Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware etc pieces that you can make for MUCH less...

I can't remember the exact web address but just google "Knock Off Wood" (that's in the web address somewhere too). My husband made the bookcases & window seat from PB Kids that surrounds a window and it could.not.be.any.cuter!!

Just thought I'd share!!