Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cupcakes, Scones and a Tea Party, and a Grandbaby Fix

This has been a busy week. Tonight I am tired but wanted to recap my week before I forget just what happen.  Seems I am getting notorious for forgetting things lately!  What were we talking about?


Oh, yes, now I remember: CUPCAKES

These are the cupcakes I made for my Cubbies in Awanas on Wednesday night!
I love making kid cupcakes......no perfection needed...just taste good!

On Tuesday night we went to a fund-raiser for a reconstruction of a community building.  It was a gospel sing and we heard some very good music! Enough to make you clap your hands and make your heart lighter!




Thursday at our church we had a British Tea Party.  We support a missionary and her husband serving in England.  She brought lots of tea from England and we met to hear of her work with women near London.

She made a sponge cake with jam which was delicious and several of us made scones.  I have eaten scones before but never made them.  It turned out to be not only fun to make them...but they were delicious (if I say so myself!)!






I wanted to share my recipe so if any of you might want to try to make some too.  I googled and got a couple of recipes and found out that there are many varieties of scones.  You can add almost anything you want to them.
My recipe called for sour cream!
I also added dried cranberries.

Simple Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup raisins (I did cranberries)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater.  (I do not own a box grater.  I just took a steak knife and cut up the butter..don't tell Martha Stewart!

Use your fingers(after washing them, of course) to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in fruit.

In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.
Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form.  Use you hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball.

Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7-8 inch circle about 3/4 in. thick.  Sprinkle with sugar ( I added a little cinnamon too).

Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles;place on a cookie sheet(preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart.

I thought these would be too large so I cut each of my triangles in half again.  They were just about right for just a good taste and not such a huge scone.

Bake until golden brown, about 15-17 minutes.

Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.  Good with jam!


This seems like a lot of instructions and I personally hate too many recipe instructions, but after I made them I thought they were fun and easy and I was so proud I finally made real scones!!


This is my sweet friend Laura from England!  She has a heart for reaching people who do not know Jesus! We pray for her and her family and the work they have been called to do for His Kingdom!


You know I can't hardly blog without telling of our little visit with our two favorite grandbabies!  We made a quick trip over to love on them and take them a few little goodies for Easter!

So get ready for nothing but sweetness in the next few photos!










Does Hollis look like she likes her bunny?





We got our "fix" and came home thinking of how good God is!!

Tomorrow is Easter and I pray each of you who happen to read my blog will find it in your heart to seek Him as never before.  His arms are open wide and He will fill your heart with His great grace and love!  He is risen indeed!

One of my favorite quotes is from C.S. Lewis:
" I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else."

10 comments:

Kelley said...

Loved reading your post! Happy Easter!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Precious babies! Happy Easter from one Nonny to another!

Jen S. said...

Happy Easter to you and your lovely family!

Anonymous said...

Hollis definitely looks like Kelly, you and your husband! Babies, kids and dogs . . . you can't go wrong

Candis Berge said...

Happy, blessed Easter! I love stopping by your blog. Your two sweet granddaughters are so precious too! I love being a grandma too; the more the merrier! (we were just told number 11 is on the way... I'd better getting Christmas shopping early...)

Warm greetings from Minnesota. And I love making scones and drinking tea!

Nancy said...

What a precious season of the resurrection we just had ~ Happy Easter & this is a wonderful post! I must try those scones.

Beverly Wooley said...

OMGoodness Judy - the munchkins and I have absolutely MELTED over Harper's praying video. Is that not the sweetest thing of all time! Know you and Steve must LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Judy! Maddy is the cat person in this house...haha. Suga Momma has to remain outdoors because of Kaylee's allergies. She does not seem to mind a bit though...busy loving on those babies. ps...I had to laugh at your tweet to Kelly today about baby #3....hehehe ;)

Donna said...

Looks like a wonderful Easter...a perfect time! But being with the grandchildren is just the BEST feeling ever, huh? Those two could not be cuter!! Their Easter frocks are sure darling too!!

Rebekah said...

I love that quote! Those girls are deliciously cute in their cupcake smocks! Just precious! I know you loved loving on them! I have to try your scone recipe. I love scones, but i have never made them.