Thursday, May 26, 2011

Water, Water Everywhere and all the Boards Did Shrink........

As you have probably been reading in the paper or hearing in the news; we here in Mid-America are having a little problem with our weather!

We have storm after storm.  Night after night.  Day after day.

We have certainly been made aware of the awesome power of the tornado as we have seen in the Joplin, Missouri destruction, but also here in Arkansas many have lost their homes and their lives.  We are praying for all these and also at the same time, very thankful we have been spared so far.




This dam is just a few miles north of our home.  This is the second time I can remember it being so full and having to have water released.

If you look closely, you can see a car going across the dam.  This gives you some perspective how large this dam is.  The power of the water coming out of the dam is something to see!

This picture does not show really well but the water is moving very swiftly!

This is the old Cotter Bridge that was built in the 40's and remodeled a couple of years ago.  It is down river from the above pictures.



This shows some of the houses just below this bridge and next to the overflowing White River.



When I went to church on Wednesday evening, we prayed for all the victims of the weather and the people in our own community who will possibly lose their homes.

When I stepped outside leaving the church this is what I saw:





Actually there was a double rainbow.  It was MUCH brighter than my pictures show.  It was beautiful.

I drove home as fast as I could so I could get my "better" camera to make more pictures but by the time 
I got home the rainbow was just about faded!


Nonetheless, the sky was just beautiful!




The past couple of weeks, we have lost a lot of sleep due to heavy rain, roaring thunder, lightening and winds so strong the house felt like it would blow away.

I slept like a baby last night!

Thank you God for just another sign that you love us!



"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for YOU alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."
Psalm 4:8



8 comments:

Jacquie Wallace said...

I love that verse!! Tyler and I took pictures at the bridge today. Makes me so sad!

Pastor Steve said...

I'm praying for everyone at home who are facing the loss of their homes. And thanks for the reminder of the wonder of God and for a glimpse of our home. Miss you!

Lou Ellen Rhodes Russell said...

That was really lovely and such a blessing to me. Years ago, when my husband was being treated for stage 4 colon cancer; we were out of state where he was receiving treatment and staying in a hotel. Since we had been told his condition was terminal, I was experiencing some really down times but trying to appear strong for him. It was a perfectly lovely, sunny Fall day and from the hotel window, I spied a beautiful fully arcing rainbow..... seemingly from out of no where. I will always believe God sent it just for me :-)!!! It gave me such encouragement. Now, it is 9 years later and my husband is alive and well. To God be the glory. I love your blog and your family. Thank you for sharing, Lou Ellen Russell, West Monroe, LA

Melissa's Thoughts said...

I just love your sky pictures. Please keep a young lady from our church in your prayers. Her name is MacKenzie. She just graduated from High School and left the next morning for Camp Barnabas, a Christian camp that helps special needs children to be a camp councilor. They are 40 miles outside Joplin and many of her new friends have lost love ones and homes. It is very taxing on them and the campers arrive Tuesday. They need a lot of uplifting to be able to feed the children with spiritual love. Thank you

Yoli said...

All the devestation is very sad. It is incredible to think that here in West Texas, we are in drought. Over 200 days without much rain. Our lakes are dry, fire is raging through our fields and the dry heat is unbearable! I loved the reminder of the rainbow and God's promise to us.

Melanie Keffer said...

I don't even know you but love your posts. I found your blog through a roundabout way. Your posts are like a breath of fresh air, things my own mother would say. I observe your comments about your grandchildren and remember my parents with my children.

It all seems so familiar. I love people who are from the south and especially love the Family of God. It is true there is a kinship among Christians.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and allowing strangers to read.

Sincerely,
Melanie Keffer
Olive Branch, MS

Melissa Stover said...

we saw that same rainbow and i heard that the people of joplin saw it right after the storm. isn't that amazing? i'm not sure i've ever heard of a rainbow being seen in that many places like that before.

Tish said...

I love reading your blog and read Kelly's daily. Those are two precious babies! I have two grandsons ages 16 and 9 years. They have grown so fast but I enjoyed every second of their baby days just as you do.Praying that your husband will be safe and well while away. Just wanted to tell you that I've made your bluberry muffins several times and they are the best I've ever made or tasted!