Friday, April 13, 2012

65 is the new 55, right Sister??

Today is my only sister's 65th birthday!  I can hardly believe it!!  Of course, being only 15 months younger than her, I can hardly believe I'll be there soon myself.

Have you ever noticed how quickly life passes?  If not, you must be under forty!!

I decided to scan some old pictures of my sister when she was a baby and skip the awkward teenage years, which will make her happy!

I found this to be the earliest picture of my sweet sister:

This is circa 1947. (Note: anytime you use the word "circa" you know it was a long time ago!)

Linda was always the prettiest little girl. Still is!

As I was looking at old pictures, I started to see a theme that my dear daughter has taken up also. Must run in the family.  Two daughters close together...dress them alike for all pictures!

The next few pictures are examples of that thinking!  Of course, our dear Mother made everything we ever wore.  There was no Itsy or Zulily way back when!

Also another theme....big bows in our hair.  I had a huge "cowlick" in my hair and Mother would braid it and put a bow on to hold it down!  




I remember these Easter dresses because they had white organdy pinafores (ask your grandmother) that Mother made.  You had to starch them and iron them so the little ruffle on the sleeve would stand up!

This was one of Linda's birthday parties. We are dressed alike and Linda has her purse on her arm.  She has always loved purses!  Guess she was ready to make a get-away if the party didn't turn out!
We had that old refrigerator in the background for years. I could write a short novel about it!
You haven't lived until you have defrosted the freezer on an old refrigerator. (That's another "ask your grandmother" thought)

I did get to see my sister today.  We had some business to do at the bank together and I had forgotten her birthday present in the rush to get over to where she teaches school.  I tried to buy her some ice cream...the least I could do...but the DQ line was too long and we got impatient and left!

So I am bringing her present to her tomorrow or Sunday.  I just wanted her to know how much and how long I have loved her as my only sibling.  She is a wonderful person, dedicated teacher and a very loving aunt to my kids and my grand babies!
Aunt Linda with Kelly and Chris. (Kelly had on her Fonzie shirt...she was crazy about him!)



Happy 65th Birthday dear Sister!

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you"
Philippians 1:3




20 comments:

E.R. said...

What a sweet post. I was blessed with one sister and now I have two sweet girls. I laughed because I do the same thing...big bows and I dress them alike. I so enjoyed meeting you at the FBC Pastors' Conf. I love your blog! You are such an encouragement!!

Dina said...

Sisters are the best!

And Kelly's Fonzie shirt made me laugh! I loved Happy Days too!

Tara G. said...

How fun to have a sister you're so close to! I got one through marriage- now if only we could live a bit closer together! My husband and I stayed in a B&B on our honeymoon; our room had little brass plaques indicating distinguished guests for our room- one was Henry Winkler and the other Dr. Ruth. :)

Unknown said...

I don't think I have left a comment on your blog in a long while, but I do LOVE reading your posts...and I couldn't help to not comment on this one...your sister's baby (toddler) pictures look JUST like little Harper! The second picture down looks identical to Harper! I just couldn't believe it. I wonder if anyone else sees it, too? Im wishing your sister a very happy birthday and YES time does fly by ::)

-Kelly Forbes

Kathy said...

Love the pictures. Happy Birthday Linda! You look fabulous!

Unknown said...

I see a little bit of Harper in her in the second picture. As a mom of two girls, I hope my girls love each other this much in 60 years!

A.K.W. said...

Happy belated birthday to Linda!

My Mom dressed my sister alike a lot but usually same style dresses and made bows to put on our hair and did our hair the same way too, she made some of our dresses too, she made me a doll when she adopted me (I was 9 mos. when I was adopted and my sister was 4 mos. when she was adopted.) Later on we hated being dressed alike though. My Mom just bought 3 of the same outfit for 3 of my niece's.

Amy

Ashley said...

Happy birthday to your sister! I definitely can see Kelly's girls in you both. I always think it's so cool to compare babies to their parents' and grandparents' pictures. :) If y'all are 65 and younger, y'all are still spring chickens (as my mama would say). She is turning 68 this year, but she is still very young at heart. (She had me when she was almost 41--I was a late-in-life surprise!)

Melissa said...

I think Harper really favors her Aunt Linda! I see from reading the other comments that I'm not the only one who thinks so! I had to comment after you talked about the refrigerator. My parents built their house in 1968, and have only had two refrigerators in that whole time! Their first one lasted until I was a teenager (and I'm 37 now!) Although we never had to defrost the freezer on the refrigerator, I am well acquainted with having to manually defrost an entire freezer! Have helped my mama do that many times! That is a job!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful birthday tribute to your sister. That kitchen table looks familiar. Ours was red with red chairs.

Kelley said...

I am crying as I write this! Your post is so precious about your sister. I want my girls to have this type of relationship. I think it would be so fun to have a sibling so close to my age. Mine were 19, 17, and 8 when I was born.

Candis Berge said...

My sister, who is my best friend, is 7 years old then me and I always wished we could have dressed alike but it never happened! And I also wanted to have a "hand-me-down" from her clothes, but again, with the 7 year gap, that also did not happen. Imagine, we often want what we can't have.
I was born the same year as your sister, so I enjoyed the pictures - and I know all about having a sister as a best friend!

Tammy from North Carolina said...

I haven't left a comment in quite sometime, but just had to now because Harper could be Aunt Linda's twin!!! Happy belated birthday from Mars Hill, N.C.!!

Anonymous said...

Something so special about a sister. Loved this post!

momto8 said...

what fun pictures!! you guys really grew up together...how wonderful!! and happy birthday to her!!
i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
have a great day!

Erin said...

Loved looking at the pictures and I too can see Kelly's girls in your pics. Your sister Linda just looks like such a kind person. Happy Birthday Linda!

DeeDee said...

What great memories!! I think Hollis looks so much like you! What a wonderful, blessed life you have :) Have a joyous, happy week!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I just found your blog and so enjoyed your post. I am the oldest of three girls and treasure the beautiful relationship we still have. My middle sis is also 65 and some of our pictures actually remind me of those you posted. Our mom made all our dresses and yes, there were organdy pinafores, and starched colors and sleeves, not to mention the embroidered socks to match the trim on our dresses.

I am the retired wife of a retired Minister of Music so it sounds like we may have a few things in common. I am adding your blog to my own site and invite you to visit when you have time.

Libby @ Beauty Without Within

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I just found your blog and so enjoyed your post. I am the oldest of three girls and treasure the beautiful relationship we still have. My middle sis is also 65 and some of our pictures actually remind me of those you posted. Our mom made all our dresses and yes, there were organdy pinafores, and starched colors and sleeves, not to mention the embroidered socks to match the trim on our dresses.

I am the retired wife of a retired Minister of Music so it sounds like we may have a few things in common. I am adding your blog to my own site and invite you to visit when you have time.

Libby @ Beauty Without Within

Chelsa said...

What a sweet post for your sister!